Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Tesla is quick up to a certain speed but only up to a certain speed. It runs out of steam rather quickly. The biggest issue with the Tesla is it isn’t fast enough to out run ugly. That design is hideous from every angle.

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
That's a quick Tesla Sewing machine. I wonder how many runs it can make like that before the batteries start to drop off and need to plug in for a while.

That TH in the video seemed to be slow off the line and overall in the 1/4.

I haven't had my TH at the track yet for an official run but according to the performance pages, I've already seen 11.5 in the quarter at 119 and I'm sure I can beat that under better conditions.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
That's a quick Tesla Sewing machine. I wonder how many runs it can make like that before the batteries start to drop off and need to plug in for a while.

That TH in the video seemed to be slow off the line and overall in the 1/4.

I haven't had my TH at the track yet for an official run but according to the performance pages, I've already seen 11.5 in the quarter at 119 and I'm sure I can beat that under better conditions.
Suspect roughly just a bit fewer than the number the TH can do before the TH has to stop for fuel.

The Tesla is subject to overheating the batteries, at which point it will reduce the power available, so if you want to run against a Tesla in your TH, never give up and make it best of 30 heh heh.

Electric motors produce max torque at stall, aka 0 rpm. Turbine engines, steam engines are competitive given traction and power/weight.

Gasoline engines have a built in disadvantage, and unless they use multiple turbos to provide quick boost at low rpm and more boost at high rpm, they have issues.

Still... interesting.

One wonders how much hot rodders of the future will be able to hack and modify these new glorified golf carts for performance. I wouldn't care to bet against the ingenuity of the budding propeller heads.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
The Tesla is quick up to a certain speed but only up to a certain speed. It runs out of steam rather quickly. The biggest issue with the Tesla is it isn’t fast enough to out run ugly. That design is hideous from every angle.
True dat.

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
Even with heat soak, that was less than stellar performance from the TH. DA was only 1500, which is not completely unreasonable.

I have to wonder if that cone filter was partly to blame.

Tesla is a $160k and I don’t care how fast it is, it’s hideous.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I want to share a Tesla owners story I reciently had. I ran into a nice family at a resort at Disney World a few weeks ago. They were pulling in with their Bentayga and was parking next to me as we were packing up to leave. I got a chance to talk to the owner and he was very proud and happy with the Bentayga’s ownership so far. It was built like a bank vault. He also mentioned he got rid of his “god awful” Tesla(s) for the Bentley. He didn’t go into it but just warned me to stay away from anything “Tesla” they were nothing but “trouble” for them. It was obvious the guy had more than one Tesla vehicle at the same time and had nothing positive to say about them. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about other German cars we both owned and was more of a performance auto guy.

Take it for what it’s worth. You don’t run into too many real world ownership experiences with either brand in my area.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here, I actually like how the Teslas look. Long time admirer of everything Tesla since getting to drive the first roadster 10 years ago.

I did prefer the model S early designs better than the latest and not a huge fan of the model X gull wing doors, but overall I like both models.

If I could have the X or the S with max performance and comparable options at a price within 10% of the fully loaded Trackhawk, I would have gone that route.

Don't get me wrong, I love our SRT and I am sure I will love my TrackHawk if it ever gets here... And even though I like the Tesla looks, I still love the JGC looks as well. To me, they really are not all that comparable, they are both awesome, but in their own ways.

In the end though, the TrackHawk wins as the best bang for my buck!

·
Registered
Michael
440 Posts
I’ve talked to a former owner of a model X as well.

They have their big quality issues as well. Those gull wing doors are a very big problem evidentially.

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
I've been a member of a number of car forms for many year now. (e.g. CorvetteForum) and there's always a bunch of threads about "what is, the fastest, quickest, etc". I guess that's normal and it's why we buy these things. As I've mention before in other threads, I've had a number of Corvettes, GC SRT's and other higher end performance cars. Always kept them stock. I also hang around with some guys that have these kind of cars too. Now that I have a TH as one of my daily drivers, it got me thinking, what am I going to find on the road, that can "realistically" outrun me? Sure there is always something quicker and faster out there but how often do you see them, especially in the US? Although you may find a few if you live in places like the Silicon Valley area or maybe Vegas.

I drive a lot. (50k+ miles a year) and I'm pretty observant of the cars around me. Big city streets, rural roads, highways or anywhere in-between, and it's very rare for me to see a top end Lambo, Ferrari, or any of the European exotics. Even Porches are uncommon in most areas, although I do see those occasionally. And even if you see one on the road, it's usually one of the lower end (slower) models. I often see Corvettes wherever I go so I guess it's really the American sport car, for many folks. (They are cool looking, quick, fast and fun cars to drive) But the only stock Corvette that is "realistically" going to be any serious trouble for a TH in the 0-60 or 1/4 mile run is the C7 Z06. And personally, I've only seen one of those on the road. (Actually it was parked in a restaurant parking lot one time) Yep, the Z06 has a higher top speed of about 200 and that’s going to be about 20mph more than the TH, but when's the last time you ran anything even over 150? (Of course I'm only talking about closed race courses for all these runs :) )

Now that I have a TH, I really don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone since I already know the end result. Just my perspective.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I drive 100 miles to work once a week and I rarely ever see anything that will outrun my TH. The only cars driving fast and being silly are so far beneath me :D that I let them speed by, happy in my beautiful, stupidly quick SUV that lets me take 4 other people, 3 dogs, a month of supplies from Costco or my big RC planes with me wherever I want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That’s was me in the Trackhawk. Brooks invited me to the track for a private event that was going on and I thought it would be fun to make some passes. I knew I was in for a good ol fashion butt whooping but went anyway to hang out and put some times down. I already knew that Tesla had run 11.4s consistently so I wasn’t trying to have the best reaction time and take it off the line, I was simply trying to pull off some solid launches as it was my first time at the tracn in the Trackhawk.

Unfortunately, I struggled with grip and traction control issues all day and was only able to launch at 1000rpms in launch control to get my best time of 11.90s. Heat was a major problem for me that day, not only because of the cone filter but also because I was driving the hour and a half trip up to the track trying to keep up with 3 mclarens in our group.
As far as why I had on the cone filter, I removed my stock box to take some measurements and to make some DIY modifications similar to kensampson on this forum and didn’t have it put together so I have been running the k&n in the meantime. The cone filter no doubt hurt my top end and why my trap speed struggled as I could feel it getting progressively worse each run in the 87+ degree south Florida weather. Even with the heat soak my last run was my best time (11.90) when I was finally able to get some grip on the launch at only 1000rpms. Even in launch control mode with the traction “off” the first two launches at 1800 and 2000rpms were terrible with spinning and skipping as the traction control seemed to still be activating slightly. That will be improved by completely deactivating the traction control by pressing and holding the traction control button for ~10 seconds. I have no doubt the Jeep had more and better times in her if I am able to iron out a few launch issues and even just put my stock box back on.

Nothing I would have done would have made any difference against the Tesla. It was using launch mode and ludicrous plus and was an absolute animal of the line. 900+ ft/lb of instant torque and no gears and no wheel spin and is a monster. At the end of the day they ran the Tesla suv against slightly modified new model Acura nsx and it only barely won and caught up to the Tesla at the finish line.

Even though I didn’t run the best times I had a great time and everybody loved the Trackhawk. I think they were most impressed with how it sounded and how it was able to keep up and move on the drive up to the track. Plus I got to see the worlds fastest tuned Mclaren 720s run a 9.5sec quarter mile at 148, which sounded incredible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Btw the performance pages timers were dead on with what the track times were on every run, for those wondering about the accuracy of them. With the heat and traction issues wasn’t even able to get close to my quickest 0-60 time of 3.3secs which I had gotten with both the stock airbox and cone filter. Think the best 0-60 time I got in the performance pages on the runs at the track was 3.6 or 3.7

·
Premium Member
Trackhawk
135 Posts
Show Down: 1/2 Mile Run on a no prep track (airfield inGila Bend Arizona). This is a race to get top MPH through the 1/2 mile traps. Idid dig races all day, no rolling starts.
Track Hawk against Tesla Model S P100D with LudicrousPlus (762 hp, 791 ft-lb torque, 2.3 second 0-60). 92%+ charge (fully charged). Batteries have cooling systems on them. He was a very experienced racer. Fun to talk to. He had lots of cameras on his car and a pro photographer with him. I am sure they will be posting some race photos up someplace soon.
Results: Tesla S P100D beat me well off the line, andall the way though the 1/4 mile. I then gained on him and I beat him in MPH at 1/2 mile(143 mph for me). We went around again, back to back, and results were thesame.
So, for this race (MPH), I beat him twice. Although hesoundly beat me off the line and at the 1/4 mile point. Don't street race theP100D's.
My reaction times were good all day. I hole shot everyone in allother races (7 more).
NOTE: The Tesla S P100D had to leave the track after 4 runsand get to a charging station. He was gone 1 hour +.
I gassed up theday before. Packed up (4 chairs, cooler, car cleaning stuff, lots of coffee, ababy seat and 2 extra passengers). Drove over. Unloaded. Raced. Drove home onthe same tank of gas.
Other races for my TH:
2 races: BMW M5 racing modified -- soundly beat him offthe line 2X, and he passed me about 50 yards before the finish line, with ~ 156MPH (very fast).
2 races: New Mustang, Supercharged, larger fuelinjectors, fully race prepped. About 750 hp. Just like the 2 BMW races. Those 2should have raced :), I ran 144.138 and 142.948 MPH.
2 races: Another Track Hawk (Danny, from Flagstaff,Dannylovescars). We had fun - really nice guy. 2X around. Very close. But mylaunches were better. My best MPH was 145.725. His 142.9?
Other races: There were 2 other Track Hawks there. Theother was Dennis from Seattle, in a TH Identical to mine. Dennis and Danny raneach other. It was fun to watch. The noise of the 2 TH going down the trackgave you goose bumps. Very close: 143.2 and 143.15, or something close to likethat.
Top Race of the Day: Lamborghini, twin turbo charged, fullrace prep (1500+ HP) -- 211 MPH.
Notes on Launching: I still do not have this dialed allthe way in. I tried launches from 2800 down to 1900 RPM, with and without launchcontrol. Best was in the 2200-2400 range. Also played with the Air Conditioner,on and off (off taking drag off the engine, but, perhaps not allowing it topump coolant for intercooler ??). Anyway, my best run was NOT in Launch Mode, doinga power-brake start, at about 2300 RPM, on a strip of the track with littlerubber on it (better traction I think, as the other was full of loose rubber). Ialso think the launch mode seems to delay response some in real raceconditions. For the day, I my best launch was in the 3.4 0-60 second range. Not mybest.
We need to learn more about how the A/C system works tocool intercooler. One other thing I did on my best run was to set Launch ControlActive during the line-up, to try and cool the intercooler as much as possible,then turn it off right before running (just in Track Mode). Still lots of funplay to do here. I wish we could get some of the factory engineers to sharesome of their learning...
There were 3 HellcatChargers there. One was a highly modified, perhaps 900+ Hp. Smaller pulley,larger injectors, larger MAF sensor, reprogrammed, more mods. He broke hisSupercharger (again he said). The other was a Hennessy fully modified, runningvery strong, 163 mph or so. The stock one (707 hp), ran solid. I do not recallthe MPH, but I think was 154 or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts