Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I’ve been looking into buying a 2018 JGC ED with factory towing. Seems that is hard / impossible to find in the lower trims, so I’m looking at TH and higher.

I’ve been checking the build sheets for the cars I’m seeing for sale, and I’ve noticed something weird. Just wondering if someone here knows what’s up.

3 out of 3 TH I looked at came standard with QD2, but that was replaced by optional QT2. Why is that?

Thanks!
Vlad

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
304 Posts
QD2 is an upgraded 4x4 system with rear Electronic Limited Slip Differential. QT2 is standard, QD2 is the optional upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
maybe I’m reading the build sheets wrong. Im going to try and attach one for vin 1C4RJFLMXJC373682

I’m on my phone so not sure how well this will work. But notice how under standard equipment they have QD2, and under optional they have QT2. My understanding is that optional equipment is replacing standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Maybe QD2 was deleted? IDK Maybe the model has something to do with how it is listed, someone else here may be able to help. QD2 is the more advanced system.

You should also ask 1 of the admins if they can move this post since it has nothing to do directly with the ecodiesel engine to a more correct sub-forum (either drive line or general) as you might get more answers there.

Mine clearly shows that QD2 is an option (QT2 standard):

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
My gut feeling is that it had something with do with the EcoDiesel engine, hence the post here.
Again that build sheet is 1 of 3 I looked at. All trailhawks, all listed the same with QD2 under standard and QT2 under optional.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
maybe I’m reading the build sheets wrong. Im going to try and attach one for vin 1C4RJFLMXJC373682

I’m on my phone so not sure how well this will work. But notice how under standard equipment they have QD2, and under optional they have QT2. My understanding is that optional equipment is replacing standard.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Optional always replaces standard on Mopar vehicles. But that's only if one option is listed. The window sticker will tell for sure.

·
Administrator
11,466 Posts
AFAK, every "WK2" Trailhawk produced, regardless of engine, was delivered with QD2. The build sheets always list the "vehicle standard features" first and the optional stuff tends to be farther down the list. As someone mentioned, the higher functionality features "replace" the "standard" features when they are physically on the vehicle.

Reactions: PowerJRod

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all

so moral of the story: go by window sticker!
I looked at 2 of the 3 and you all are correct. The window sticker doesn’t mention anything about QT2. Strange that it comes up on the vin lookup.

·
Administrator
11,466 Posts
VIN lookup works the same way as a build sheet...standard features for the JGC first and then any modifications to the same.

·
Registered
304 Posts
As Jim_in_PA mentions, since the Trailhawk comes with the QD2 , then the way it is listed on the VIN is model specific and the window sticker will triumph anything else.

Note: mine is the diesel, so not engine specific. ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
QD2 is an upgraded 4x4 system with rear Electronic Limited Slip Differential. QT2 is standard, QD2 is the optional upgrade.

That article describing how the Quadra-Drive II works is not correct when it comes to the WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokees. The WK2's have an electronically operated limited-slip differential (eLSD) in the rear, but only an open differential in the front, which usies brake-based traction control. I consider that a step down in performance (but still very capable) compared to the WK's Quadra-Drive II and the WJ's Quadra-Drive, which had electronically operated limited-slip differentials with a clutch pack in both the front and rear.

I wish Jeep had kept the eLSD in the front, or at least changed the name from Quadra-Drive II to something else (perhaps Quadra-Drive 1.5). By keeping the same name, when the systems are not the same, you have to pay attention to how old articles are that you're reading. Unfortunately, this article referenced above, written by Jessica Shea Choksey, is dated Feb 15, 2022, so she just wasn't careful and was probably reading older documentation about how the WK's Quadra-Drive II functions.

Reactions: LongJohns
1 - 14 of 14 Posts