Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/Select-trac
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
So yesterday I purchased my 3rd grand cherokee. It's a 2000 with the 4.0 and select-trac. It has 241000 on the clock. Runs and drives great, although the brakes are warped pretty bad and it needs new suspension bushings. Shifts good and the t-case is fully functional.

Some on here may remember me with the "Project Six Shooter" build thread, a 2008 RWD 3.7 I had turned into something fun for the street. Well this won't be that. My goal here is to take my "new" to me 2000 WJ and transform it into something I can do some overland and trail work. For 1000$ US, I think I made a good buy and have plans for it. I've been planing mods and build 2 whole weeks before signing the title yesterday!

This marks my official return to the forum and I hope to see you guys here on the GRAND ADVENTURE!

So you're all here for the before pics? Of course you are!

So without further delay, I intruduce to you....

PROJECT BUG-OUT!

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I'm deciding on a color to paint this beast. It's gonna be a rattle can job (but I can make a rattle can job look good)

From left to right.

1: DESTROYER GREY
2: FLAT DARK EARTH
3: DESERT TAN
4: SAGE
5: OLIVE DRAB

I'm leaning DESERT TAN w/black accents

Whatcha guys think? I need to address a few things before I fully spray the body but there are a few panels I could hit now...

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It begins! Making the jeep all one color...

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Gonna need a new header panel. Might as well refresh the front end while I'm at it. 2004 grill and header panel with new headlights outta make it nicer on the front end

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So in troubleshooting my gauges that recently started acting up, I discovered I also need a heater core

The bundle of grounds you see where submerged in coolant....

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Strongjeff you are a better man than i am.... 'Gungda Din'!:)
There is no way i'd attempt to totally paint any of my vehicles with a rattle can.
But it looks like you might of pulled it off.

I did paint my XJ's lower panels with Rustoleum rattle can truck bed paint which i myself think came out great.
I've also rattle can'd wheels on some of my vehicles.
But rattle canning an entire vehicle....

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strongjeff you are a better man than i am.... gungda din!
There is no way i'd attempt to totally paint any of my vehicles with a rattle can.
But it looks like you might of pulled it off.

I did paint my XJ's lower panels with Rustoleum truck bed which i myself think it came out great.
Thanks man!

Lol yeah it's still a work in progress. Couple cans at a time.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thanks man!

Lol yeah it's still a work in progress. Couple cans at a time.
Enquiring minds need to know just how many rattle cans does it take to paint an entire vehicle?

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enquiring minds need to know just how many rattle cans does it take to paint an entire vehicle?
Currently working on the 6th can....but I'm not laying a thin coat....infact I'm not really doing it the "correct" way only because I know what I'm gonna do with the jeep lol.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered new headlights and a heater core. Picked up new wiring and eyelets to repair the grounds that got submerged in coolant under the passenger seat. Hoping this fixes the gauges not working. When I pulled the passenger seat out, there was about an inch of coolant in the floor pan covering the dash wire harness and the 4 major grounds under the seat. I did notice some of the grounds looked green so that tells me there is a change in resistance on the system and its making the gauges act up. *note: the gauges do self test correctly. They stopped working properly around the time I discovered the heater core so they are definitely linked

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ordered new headlights and a heater core. Picked up new wiring and eyelets to repair the grounds that got submerged in coolant under the passenger seat. Hoping this fixes the gauges not working. When I pulled the passenger seat out, there was about an inch of coolant in the floor pan covering the dash wire harness and the 4 major grounds under the seat. I did notice some of the grounds looked green so that tells me there is a change in resistance on the system and its making the gauges act up. *note: the gauges do self test correctly. They stopped working properly around the time I discovered the heater core so they are definitely linked
How in the hell does an inch of coolant get on the floor?
Leaky hot water heater core?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct, I never noticed it for a few days until my gauges started acting up. Was checking fuses and while seeing if there was a fuse block on the passenger side, noticed the carpet was damp. The stock carpet has a plastic liner under it that was preventing it (the coolant) from being more obvious. Also doesn't help I have a very weak sense of smell so it took my wife to point out it smelled like coolant.

I should have gotten a pic before taking a shop vac to suck it all up 😆

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You got your PITA work cut out replacing that heater core.
Did that once a bunch of years ago on an old Plymouth and never want to do it again.

A word of advice as i've been there done this, don't be tempted to use stop leak additives in the coolant system.
Just say'n.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You got your PITA work cut out replacing that heater core.
Did that once a bunch of years ago on an old Plymouth and never want to do it again.

A word of advice as i've been there done this, don't be tempted to use stop leak additives in the coolant system.
Just say'n.
Agreed on the stop leak. My inner mechanic would have a stroke if i did that. (I have nearly 10yrs of real world mechanical experience)

Got a new core coming, been cold and rainy here in michigan last few days, plus with my appointments I haven't much time this week to tinker on it

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Wow i just noticed you have a 2K Grand with the select-trac Tcase for 'bugging out'?
Could be wrong but i don't think there's many select-tracs out there with these old Jeeps.

When my rear trac-loc diff. went out at some 250K miles i had it overhauled and for the hell of it had them also freshen up my select-trac all professionally done of course by a trusted tranny shop.
By the way the probable reason the diff went South was because of leaky axle seals. Didn't notice the shot axle seals until i did a brake job. The brake shoes were soaked in diff. fluid.

Good luck with the core replacement.
I'd make sure you have plenty of band aids readily available. :)

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow i just noticed you have a 2K Grand with the select-trac Tcase for 'bugging out'?
Could be wrong but i don't think there's many select-tracs out there with these old Jeeps.

When my rear trac-loc diff. went out at some 250K miles i had it overhauled and for the hell of it had them also freshen up my select-trac all professionally done of course by a trusted tranny shop.
By the way the probable reason the diff went South was because of leaky axle seals. Didn't notice the shot axle seals until i did a brake job. The brake shoes were soaked in diff. fluid.

Yup. She's a 2k. From what I understood was select trac was standard on the 4.0 laredo and the diff was an option. Mines open front and rear (Vin verified equipment installed from jeep)

Mines at 241k, other then the coolant leak I really haven't seen anything else leak....but I haven't had a chance to pull the wheels yet. I would like to replace the hubs, brakes and seals. I did see it needs a right CV shaft as the boot is wrecked. That will all get done when I do diffs and gears since it's gotta come apart anyway might as well take it apart once!

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Picked "Project Bug-Out" more as a play on words. My end goal for the jeep is overland and exploration so in a sense, "Bugging out" of town lol

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Picked "Project Bug-Out" more as a play on words. My end goal for the jeep is overland and exploration so in a sense, "Bugging out" of town lol
Ok the select-trac was standard with certain Grand trims.
With the XJ, i think it was an option across all trims.
Don't see many XJs with select-tracs.

Yep i'm permanently bugged out living out in the country and in a sparsely populated County no less.
I swear there are more deers and cows out here than people! Haha

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok the select-trac was standard with certain Grand trims.
With the XJ, i think it was an option across all trims.
Don't see many XJs with select-tracs.

Yep i'm permanently bugged out living out in the country and in a sparsely populated County no less.
I swear there are more deers and cows out here than people! Haha
I feel ya there, my wife and I live in a town small enough its considered a village lol. Population under 700 here an hr south of the mackinaw bridge in michigan. Lots of farm land, good trails, deer, elk plenty of fishing holes. Wife is happy we moved from the southern Detroit area when all this crap hit the fan.

Our boss offered to sell me his XJ, but the floor is held together with street signs 😆

1 - 20 of 52 Posts