Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
One of my old bosses decades ago claimed he made a road trip around Lake Michigan and bragged about how cool it was.
Not even sure if thats even possible to get through in the upper Michigan area and then back South along the Western coast of the lake.

I myself would pass on your boss's XJ. Sounds like it needs a complete restoration.

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/Select-trac
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
One of my old bosses decades ago claimed he made a road trip around Lake Michigan and bragged about how cool it was.
Not even sure if thats even possible to get through in the upper Michigan area and then back South along the Western coast of the lake.

I myself would pass on your boss's XJ. Sounds like it needs a complete restoration.
You'd have to cross the mackinaw bridge and go west thru the UP.....but thats a ton of extra hrs worth of driving.

Yup, he just retired it a couple weeks ago as his daily driver, got himself an 18 colorado. He's asking 2500 or best offer....later he was taking with my dad (my dad is his mailman) and they were discussing the xj, my boss admitted he wouldn't sell to me anyway because of how rotted out the floor is.

Reactions: moparado

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the first of a hand full of refresh parts! New headlights!

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Nice new lights man!

Far as that rusted out XJ if IT'S ONLY the floor board thats rusted holey shot, new floor boards can be had as replacements. But the requires welding them into place.
If the rockers, cargo area, wheel wells, etc, etc, are hopelessly rusted again i'd forget it.

With my XJ, too much road salt took a total on my XJ's lower 1/4 panels.
Here's a thread i started a while back on the rusted out lower 1/4 panels on my 2K XJ.

Though I get the feeling you got your hands full with the Grand project.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice new lights man!

Far as that rusted out XJ if IT'S ONLY the floor board thats rusted holey shot, new floor boards can be had as replacements. But the requires welding them into place.
If the rockers, cargo area, wheel wells, etc, etc, are hopelessly rusted again i'd forget it.

With my XJ, too much road salt took a total on my XJ's lower 1/4 panels.
Here's a thread i started a while back on the rusted out lower 1/4 panels on my 2K XJ.

Though I get the feeling you got your hands full with the Grand project.
What threw me off the xj he was selling was he wanted too much for the amount of work I'd have to do on top of purchasing a decent welder

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What threw me off the xj he was selling was he wanted too much for the amount of work I'd have to do on top of purchasing a decent welder
How much did he want, what year and what engine was it?

Keep in mind these old XJ's are well sought after by a serious cult following.
Some want to trick them up as mall crawlers and others want to mod them for serious off roading.

Case in point.
A few years ago i visited a friend of mine who runs a body shop.
He had an XJ for sale think it was an earlier year in the front of his parking lot.
Well when i checked it out it was badly and obviously rusted, had a blown transfer case, bald tires, crappy interior and who knows what else.

A few weeks later when i rode by his shop the XJ was gone.
I stopped and asked what happened to it.
"I sold it for $4k dollars"!

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How much did he want, what year and what engine was it?

Keep in mind these old XJ's are well sought after by a serious cult following.
Some want to trick them up as mall crawlers and others want to mod them for serious off roading.

Case in point.
A few years ago i visited a friend of mine who runs a body shop.
He had an XJ for sale think it was an earlier year in the front of his parking lot.
Well when i checked it out it was badly and obviously rusted, had a blown transfer case, bald tires, crappy interior and who knows what else.

A few weeks later when i rode by his shop the XJ was gone.
I stopped and asked what happened to it.
"I sold it for $4k dollars"!
I believe it's a 2000 or 01. 4.0 2500 or best offer. Not sure on mileage or other issues but 2500 or even 2k was out of my budget. The WJ I picked up for 1k appears in better shape....

Got a buddy of mine downstate got his xj back in 2019 for 1500 and it's very clean

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Stay away from 2K and 2001 4.0's.
They have a known cracked head issue.

Your buddy probably got a good deal depending.
Its all in the locality, supply and demand.
They don't make these great XJ's anymore.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So, I've taken the first steps to tracing my PCI issue, I've replaced those grounds that were submerged in coolant.

My issue still persists, therefore my next step is to check the PCI connection in the drivers door, the ground and the wire loom in the door.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What is your PCI issue and what is a PCI?

The 1st pic of the original ground looks terrible.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What is your PCI issue and what is a PCI?

The 1st pic of the original ground looks terrible.
The "PCI" bus is the central communications bus in the Jeep . The BCM, PCM, TCM, WCM, EVIC, dash cluster, and audio equipment use it to communicate with each other. The bus is a superset of OBD-II and uses the J1850 VPW communication format. It travels throughout the entire car and the OBD-II port taps directly into it. The ELM327 chip from Elm Electronics should allow reading and writing to the bus via a serial port. One of the many available OBD-II interface tools could also be used.

Chrysler phased the grand cherokee to the "CAN Bus" for the 2005 year.

The issue im seeing is that the gauges, trip computer and window controls stop functioning after the engine is started. They self test fine when keyed on. The engine runs and the vehicle drives like nothing is wrong even with a loss of communication in cab

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Ahh ok, a bus or maybe its only a corrupted bus problem due to a connector?
If the the instrument gauges are not working then i'd suspect the instrument panel's bus transceiver chip is shot or more likely a instrument panel connector issue.

Don't know about the Grand's but i've had my instrument cluster go bonky a few times in the past with my XJ.
Removing the cluster panel and cleaning both the male and female connector pins fixed it every time.
In fact i seem to remember there's even a TSB on this for the XJ's.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ahh ok, a bus or maybe its only a corrupted bus problem due to a connector?
If the the instrument gauges are not working then i'd suspect the instrument panel's bus transceiver chip is shot or more likely a instrument panel connector issue.

Don't know about the Grand's but i've had my instrument cluster go bonky a few times in the past with my XJ.
Removing the cluster panel and cleaning both the male and female connector pins fixed it every time.
In fact i seem to remember there's even a TSB on this for the XJ's.
I did have the cluster out once....seemed fine but who knows lol, I'll probably clean the connection. Can't hurt anything!

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I may have found a probable cause to the PCI issues. I found 2 aftermarket modules under the dash and steering column with shoddy wiring job. One module is a remote start from "Directed Electronics Inc." The other is a alarm system from "Nutek" was only able to identify it from looking up the FCC id on the box.

I removed both boxes and the issue remains, no change in the jeeps functionality, so I will begin repairing the wiring.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
New heater core showed up today!

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Been a little quite on here, weather been a bit uncooperative

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
So I may have found a probable cause to the PCI issues. I found 2 aftermarket modules under the dash and steering column with shoddy wiring job. One module is a remote start from "Directed Electronics Inc." The other is a alarm system from "Nutek" was only able to identify it from looking up the FCC id on the box.

View attachment 233564 View attachment 233565 View attachment 233566 View attachment 233567 View attachment 233568 View attachment 233569 View attachment 233570

I removed both boxes and the issue remains, no change in the jeeps functionality, so I will begin repairing the wiring.
What a spaghetti mess of wiring:oops:
Looks like you got your work cut out for you figuring out the PO'ers hacks.

Now if one were to look under my XJ's paneling they'd see something similar but no where near as bad as shown in the pics.
But i'm the original owner so i know whats what.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What a spaghetti mess of wiring:oops:
Looks like you got your work cut out for you figuring out the PO'ers hacks.

Now if one were to look under my XJ's paneling they'd see something similar but no where near as bad as shown in the pics.
But i'm the original owner so i know whats what.
Yep! I've been waiting for better weather to rip the dash out to replace the heater core. Gonna go thru all the wiring while it's out.

On a side note I removed the receiver/hitch to prep for a new fuel tank skid and regain some departure angle

Definitely put that big Dewalt 1/2 inch impact gun to work

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You and me both are waiting for some decent weather as i've got a long list of BS projects to do myself including home, property, lawn tractor, ATV and vehicles.

If the Grand is anything like my XJ, the skid if not already installed from the factory needs a nut strip installed in the drivers side frame channel which requires removing the bumper.
How ever there's another way to do this without removing the bumper.
You can get i think they're 3/8's maybe 1/2 inch i forget carriage bolts and fish them through the space between the bumper and frame using square hole washers to mate with the carriage bolt squares.
This method was used when my fuel pump had to be replaced by a local hitch shop which did not require removing the bumper which would of been a royal PITA at least on an XJ.
When done both my OEM tank skid and hitch were intact.

Speaking of bad weather, been using that as an excuse to tackle my 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 ATV which developed a crank no start after plowing heavy snow off my driveway. I did determine within a few minutes its a no spark issue.
After looking at the shop manual it looks like i have to tear the whole dam thing apart just to get at the connectors for testing to see if its a stator, CDI, ignition coil or something else like hopefully a connector or fuse.

Anyhow i digress, keep us updated on your Grand project.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts