Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/Select-trac
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You and me both are waiting for some decent weather as i've got a long list of BS projects to do myself including home, property, lawn tractor, ATV and vehicles.

If the Grand is anything like my XJ, the skid if not already installed from the factory needs a nut strip installed in the drivers side frame channel which requires removing the bumper.
How ever there's another way to do this without removing the bumper.
You can get i think they're 3/8's maybe 1/2 inch i forget carriage bolts and fish them through the space between the bumper and frame using square hole washers to mate with the carriage bolt squares.
This method was used when my fuel pump had to be replaced by a local hitch shop which did not require removing the bumper which would of been a royal PITA at least on an XJ.
When done both my OEM tank skid and hitch were intact.

Speaking of bad weather, been using that as an excuse to tackle my 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 ATV which developed a crank no start after plowing heavy snow off my driveway. I did determine within a few minutes its a no spark issue.
After looking at the shop manual it looks like i have to tear the whole dam thing apart just to get at the connectors for testing to see if its a stator, CDI, ignition coil or something else like hopefully a connector or fuse.

Anyhow i digress, keep us updated on your Grand project.
All the skid bolts are accessible from underneath. The reciever used 3 of the skid bolts. I pre-cracked em loose so I shouldn't have issues getting em out....although I can't say the same for the last bolt....ended up breaking the in-frame nut loose with the impact and had to grind the head off. Good thing is, that particular bolt wasn't used for the fuel tank skid so I may have gotten lucky there. Gonna eventually put a different rear bumper on it so I'll be able to address any issues then.

But for sure! The updates will continue. Would like to get to the point when the mods can begin and its less fixing things!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Man you're always a step or two ahead of me! lol
You did luck out with both nut strips installed.
Must of been an OEM hitch.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Man you're always a step or two ahead of me! lol
You did luck out with both nut strips installed.
Must of been an OEM hitch.
I believe it was too. The fitment was too perfect

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just popping in to say what's up. I know, been quite on here lately. Between work, cancer treatments and the weather (currently have showers in the area, raining now) just haven't really had a chance to pull the dash. But its coming

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hey man sorry to hear about the cancer thing.
A couple years ago i had my own bout with a diagnosis of melanoma cancer supposedly a bad one.
After the surgery which removed a 1-1/4 dia. of skin behind my ear down to the bone and after a bunch of blood tests, lymph node biopsies not to mention numerous pet and cat scans been declared cancer free... so far so good.
Cancer can be beat.

Yeah i get the weather thing also as i just cannot bring myself to work on my XJ or my other two vehicles when the weather is below 70 deg with no bright sunlight. Forget about rainy or snowy days.

Sorry about the instagram link as i will never ever subscribe to any so called social media web sites.
These auto related forums are about as far as i will go.

Anyhow good luck with your WJ, keep busy and forget about the cancer by thinking positive with future goals to achieve which i believe helps the body's natural immune system.
Stress is a killer.

And keep us all updated on your WJ's progress.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hey man sorry to hear about the cancer thing.
A couple years ago i had my own bout with a diagnosis of melanoma cancer supposedly a bad one.
After the surgery which removed a 1-1/4 dia. of skin behind my ear down to the bone and after a bunch of blood tests, lymph node biopsies not to mention numerous pet and cat scans been declared cancer free... so far so good.
Cancer can be beat.

Yeah i get the weather thing also as i just cannot bring myself to work on my XJ or my other two vehicles when the weather is below 70 deg with no bright sunlight. Forget about rainy or snowy days.

Sorry about the instagram link as i will never ever subscribe to any so called social media web sites.
These auto related forums are about as far as i will go.

Anyhow good luck with your WJ, keep busy and forget about the cancer by thinking positive with future goals to achieve which i believe helps the body's natural immune system.
Stress is a killer.

And keep us all updated on your WJ's progress.
Hell yeah! Glad to hear you beat it. I'm hoping to put mine into remission for a longing time to come.

Yeah I understand you on the social media thing. I've been finding myself using Facebook less and less. I mainly use YouTube and Instagram....got a decent follower base there....

I tried to post the video straight to here but the forum won't allow it...wrong file extension so I'll need to convert it to a more forum friendly file.

Just took this a few mins ago....story of my life at the moment

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Strongfeff what am i looking at in that latest pic you posted?
Haven't been up to speed on WJ rear ends but is that your tan WJ i see?

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Strongfeff what am i looking at in that latest pic you posted?
Haven't been up to speed on WJ rear ends but is that your tan WJ i see?
Yup. I gotta sand the body filler around the 3rd brake light before I can paint the tail gate. Plus I need to pull the badges and dealer decals off.
The silver chevy van is our primary vehicle (soon to be the wife's when it jeep is ready)

It rained most of the day yesterday so I wasn't able to get any work done. Well....I take that back, I was able to do some trouble shooting of the ac, the ac compressor isn't kicking on. I've ruled out the AC switches and relays/fuses. Ruled out the ac pressure switch too. I need to get down into the engine bay and see if there is power getting to the compressor. If there is then it likely needs a ac compressor or at the very least a new ac clutch.

I was gonna try to check the torque converter bolts to make sure they are tight. (As you know it's common in the XJ for the torque converter bolts to back loose and smack the shield on the trans, thats a noise that started a few days after I got it.)

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Those bolts are what a lot of XJ'ers refer to as flex plate bolts.
Yeah when they come loose some mistake the sound as an engine knock.

Far as AC issues, i think my compressor has also seen better days. It loads the engine down abnormally IMO but still after 370K miles with absolutely no AC work done, it still blows cold air.
I seldom use AC except on the hottest days and then only on the freeway. Where i need it most is in city driving but it tends to overheat the engine and with a very rough idle at a stop.

Just yesterday i decided to change the Tcase fluid which is at most a half hour job. Wrong!
The fill plug came out easy, not so with the dam drain plug.
First i tried loosening it with a 3/8" drive breaker bar - no go.
Slid a persuader pipe on the breaker bar - no go.
Advanced to my 1/2" drive breaker bar - no go.
Tried my battery impact wrench - no go.
Time to pull out the heavy artillery my air impact wrench - no go.
Heated the area around the plug with a propane torch then tried my air impact again - no go.

Today or tomorrow gonna try the heat thing once more but with my MAP torch but first hopefully syphon out the fluid with my extraction pump.
If all that don't work, its not an ideal solution but i'm gonna syphon as much fluid out and leave that dam drain plug be because there's a chance the treads are stripped. If i do get it out and the treads are indeed stripped then its gonna be a real PITA.

Never had this problem in the past as i've changed the Tcase fluid a bunch of times with no issues.
But that was before i had the Tcase freshened up a couple years ago by a tranny shop and the only thing i can think of is they way over torqued that #[email protected]$'n drain plug maybe by using an impact wrench.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Those bolts are what a lot of XJ'ers refer to as flex plate bolts.
Yeah when they come loose some mistake the sound as an engine knock.

Far as AC issues, i think my compressor has also seen better days. It loads the engine down abnormally IMO but still after 370K miles with absolutely no AC work done, it still blows cold air.
I seldom use AC except on the hottest days and then only on the freeway. Where i need it most is in city driving but it tends to overheat the engine and with a very rough idle at a stop.

Just yesterday i decided to change the Tcase fluid which is at most a half hour job. Wrong!
The fill plug came out easy, not so with the dam drain plug.
First i tried loosening it with a 3/8" drive breaker bar - no go.
Slid a persuader pipe on the breaker bar - no go.
Advanced to my 1/2" drive breaker bar - no go.
Tried my battery impact wrench - no go.
Time to pull out the heavy artillery my air impact wrench - no go.
Heated the area around the plug with a propane torch then tried my air impact again - no go.

Today or tomorrow gonna try the heat thing once more but with my MAP torch but first hopefully syphon out the fluid with my extraction pump.
If all that don't work, its not an ideal solution but i'm gonna syphon as much fluid out and leave that dam drain plug be because there's a chance the treads are stripped. If i do get it out and the treads are indeed stripped then its gonna be a real PITA.

Never had this problem in the past as i've changed the Tcase fluid a bunch of times with no issues.
But that was before i had the Tcase freshened up a couple years ago by a tranny shop and the only thing i can think of is they way over torqued that #[email protected]$'n drain plug maybe by using an impact wrench.
I agree on the shop over torqued the plug. Really that's the only way that happens. I was tossing the idea of bypassing the AC all together.....let's just say the wife wasn't too happy about that. She crossed her arms and said "if you want me riding in that jeep, I need AC"

OKAY, I was just letting her know it's cheaper to just bypass it all together then getting a new compressor and having a shop put it in. Lol 😆

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yeah swapping out the AC compressor if done right would also require replacing the dryer and the condenser also.
I agree screwing around with AC is above my pay grade. haha
So i'd have to have a shop do the work which in my case these BS Covid times is not an option.

In this day and age i have no idea why these ancient AC systems still exist.
I see no reason why solid state thermoelectric modules could do the job if designed correctly.
Of course they would require a heftier amperage alternator or an auxiliary alternator dedicated for AC use only.
I'll take trouble shooting an AC alternator over a conventional AC compressor system any day.

You know by now, the wife rules! haha

41 - 52 of 52 Posts