Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go ahead and start this thread to see what the options are to remove the factory installed CD player in the 2014. I ordered mine with the CD player because my wife wanted it, but I don't think she realized how much storage space it eats up. We don't even buy CD's anymore, all of our music is MP3 which can be dumped on a USB drive. I guess I should have done a better job talking her out of it. What would have made a big difference was knowing that the CD player also removed the upper storage area. I didn't know this until it was too late or I would have considered changing my order.

Having said that, does anyone have a way of looking up what parts will be required to remove it? I assume you'll need a portion of the center console and some other parts to add the upper storage as well.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I need that space for all the junk my wife loves to leave in the car. I intentionally left out that piece of information until after the order was placed. She was ticked off at the lack of a cd player, but quickly got over it after thinking we never buy cd's and her phone has all her music anyways.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,014 Posts
maybe you could relocate it under the front seats by fashioning a bracket and extending the cable. It would be laborious brand probably not worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Relocating might be an option that I could do, depending on what type of cable they use. At this point I'm just looking for the part numbers of the trim pieces that you have to replace once you remove it....

·
Registered
JGC Overland
386 Posts
Is it the default that you don't get the CD player or do you have to take a 'no CD player' option to not get it? Agree don't need one.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an option that you must check to get it.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's some pics from another thread.

·
Registered
JGC Overland
386 Posts
wow that is a weird location :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Holy crap, getting the CD player option literally removes the entire center storage bin??? That's nuts! That's the most ridiculous thing I have seen. Like you said too having a CD player these days is about as goofy as having a cassette player. They are out dated technology that most people do not use anymore.
It's all about the Bluetooth streaming audio!!
Atleast for you you can probably buy a entire new center console and get rid of that CD player without too much trouble.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Junked 2011-13 console might work

·
Registered
55 Posts
Worst placement ever!
+1. Easily goes into the WTF were they thinking file.

Can someone confirm there is a SD Card reader?

I would hate to have to stream using B/T the entire time. That's as bad of an idea as the CD player placement.

·
Registered
783 Posts
That's already been approved. There's an SD card slot and it can read up to 32 gig cards for music. I've already placed an order for our music and will have songs loaded and ready for our first test drive.

Reactions: MD Boy

·
Registered
Limited
1,660 Posts
That was one of the many things I liked about my 2011 when I purchased it, was that I got my center console back. My previous vehicle had the CD player in same place as the new 14's. Why did they change it?

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee
21 Posts
I will give anyone my full console without the CD player including trim out of my 2012 for their dash, 8.4" radio, bezel and all of the cool options the 2014 has. Too far fetched but, I dream big. Makes me wish I could go back in time and wait. "14's" are sooo nice.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I would hate to have to stream using B/T the entire time. That's as bad of an idea as the CD player placement.
Hummm, ok. Not sure how that would have to suck. So lets see you have the option of putting music on a USB drive, listen to AM/FM/XM, Bluetooth stream your own music or Pandora. I guess I just fail to see how that would be "having to use Bluetooth all the time"?
I understand there are people that like to use the good old CD's and cassettes, but even without the CD player there are plenty of other sources to listen to besides streaming.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Wow that is a great place , not a lot of thought was put into that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That was one of the many things I liked about my 2011 when I purchased it, was that I got my center console back. My previous vehicle had the CD player in same place as the new 14's. Why did they change it?
CDs are becoming obsolete, they only offer this as an option who want a CD player really, really, really bad. With Ipod integration, Bluetooth streaming, aux input, Slacker, Pandora, SiriusXM, AM/FM/HD, SD card, etc. the Jeep has more than enough entertainment choices without the CD player.

My guess is that with the next refresh, CDs wont even be offered.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts