Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I am in the market for a travel trailer I decided to get my 2012 JGC Limited V8 weighed since almost every JGC I have come across has just 1050 lbs of payload (which can't be right that all are the same).

My vehicle as stated on car door stickers:
GVWR: 6800 lbs
GAWR front: 3200 lbs
GAWR rear: 3700 ilbs

Weight of my vehicle at CAT scale. Had my family of 4 and a full tank of gas that I just filled at the same CAT scale gas station:

Gross Weight: 5640 lbs
GAWR front: 2980 lbs
GAWR rear: 2660 lbs

Therefore, my payload should be 6,800 - 5,640 = 1,160 lbs. And this is already including my family. Now, one thing that I may have screwed up is I had to get out of the Jeep to press the call button and talk to the attendant. I don't know if he got my weight in or not. I weigh 140 lbs so to stay safe I'll say I wasn't included so I'll add me to the 5640 to get to 5,780 lbs vehicle weight and that would drop the payload is 1020 lbs now.

If I take away my family (estimated at 450 lbs) and the payload is 1,610 lbs. I really don't know how the 1050 lbs. gets calculated

Hopefully, this helps any others but you should weigh your own vehicle.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There’s been a few other threads about how payload is calculated and I think the concensus is... no one knows.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
The available payload depends upon trim level and engine, but in the specifications they approximate max (including tongue weight) is about 1100-1200 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Full tank or empty tank? That's another 160-ish pounds to factor in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full tank or empty tank? That's another 160-ish pounds to factor in.
Mentioned above...Filled the tank at the same gas station so completely full tank. I am guessing my payload is actually 1500-1600 lbs. At the very least I got it weighed to get an accurate picture and didn't just guess at it so I feel comfortable with a bit more than the 1050lb payload they slap on every version (it seems) of the JGC. No one needs to worry -- I ain't going to head off to buy a 10,000 lbs camper with a 1200 lb tongue weight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why not? I hear if you have the Hemi your tow ratings are secretly triple what Jeep says they are.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,573 Posts
Load ratings are based on many things including engine cooling and I suspect with newer cars on how they perform on the mandatory rollover testing. Put more weight in and it might change whether it rolls or might affect whether it skids of of control under test conditions.

That said, almost everyone with a pickup truck who actually uses them to carry stuff will "overload" them as far as manufacturer claims of load capacity.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think it has the most to do with how much that flimsy cargo area lift up floor can support without everything landing in the spare tire well...

I find myself being very careful to distribute even moderate weight in the cargo area. If I can push on the panel with my hand and feel it flex, how many pavers of bags of mulch is it really going to hold?

I tend to keep the heaviest stuff toward the outer edges where it's sits partially on the cargo area outside of the lift up panel and put lighter stuff in the middle.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,573 Posts
I think it has the most to do with how much that flimsy cargo area lift up floor can support without everything landing in the spare tire well...

I find myself being very careful to distribute even moderate weight in the cargo area. If I can push on the panel with my hand and feel it flex, how many pavers of bags of mulch is it really going to hold?

I tend to keep the heaviest stuff toward the outer edges where it's sits partially on the cargo area outside of the lift up panel and put lighter stuff in the middle.
My recollection is that if you push the cargo cover down much is very quickly rests on the spare tire and won't go down any farther. I don't see any reason to worry about putting heavy stuff on it. The spare tire will carry all the weight and transfer it to the metal floor under the spare. I've got the full sized spare. Possibly with a space saver spare the tire isn't big enough to provide this kind of support.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
yeah, the lid is supported, although I have a full size spare...I have made about 20 mulch runs with 12 bags (5-600lbs) and even though some weight is around the edges 75% is likely focused on the lid around spare area...

·
Registered
984 Posts
My recollection is that if you push the cargo cover down much is very quickly rests on the spare tire and won't go down any farther. I don't see any reason to worry about putting heavy stuff on it. The spare tire will carry all the weight and transfer it to the metal floor under the spare. I've got the full sized spare. Possibly with a space saver spare the tire isn't big enough to provide this kind of support.
My issue would be with the weight sitting on the tire sidewall since it sticks out beyond the rim. I would worry about ruining the bead.

Never the less, I have a compact spare, so it's too skinny to do what the full size one does.

yeah, the lid is supported, although I have a full size spare...I have made about 20 mulch runs with 12 bags (5-600lbs) and even though some weight is around the edges 75% is likely focused on the lid around spare area...
75% of 600 lbs is still only 450 lbs. I'd still be worried about 75% of 1000lbs.

As someone who once had a temporary stage collapse under him (despite the weight of everyone and everything on it being half the rating), I have little confidence in any platform that can flex under my weight - which is not a lot.

I'm a thin guy. I can double my weight with an ugly Christmas sweater.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
...I'd still be worried about 75% of 1000lbs...
Total payload, for OP, of 1,150 is for cargo and people and generally does not mean all 1,150 can be in one spot/category...is it not numerically broken out anywhere but a common, reasonable interpretation of a 4 passenger JGC under max payload (1,150) capacity would be to assign a weight to passengers...say 2 couples at 160/200 per or 720 for passengers and the remaining 420 for cargo. In a max cargo area situation with just the driver, say 200, I agree I would not assume 950 in the cargo area was smart, or even possible especially without load leveling shocks (SRT doesn't have)...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Total payload, for OP, of 1,150 is for cargo and people and generally does not mean all 1,150 can be in one spot/category...is it not numerically broken out anywhere but a common, reasonable interpretation of a 4 passenger JGC under max payload (1,150) capacity would be to assign a weight to passengers...say 2 couples at 160/200 per or 720 for passengers and the remaining 420 for cargo. In a max cargo area situation with just the driver, say 200, I agree I would not assume 950 in the cargo area was smart, or even possible especially without load leveling shocks (SRT doesn't have)...
All that be said, what number should people use? My payload door sticker says 1050 lbs. My sticker also says 6800 lb GVWR. My vehicle weight at the Cat Scale with 4 people and a full tank of gas is 5640 lbs. Which should mean I have 1160 lbs leftover or exclude family and gas and I have a payload of ~1700

So, if the 6800 GVWR is to be believed than I have a lot more payload. If the 1050 payload is to be believed, than the 6800 GVWR # is thrown out. BUT, both numbers are there.

Of all the trucks or cars I have weighed, I have never had one so far off. Some may have been 100 pounds or so off from a sticker but never 700 pounds. I also have never seen so many different Jeeps with different configurations all have that same 1050 lbs. Wonder why they do that

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
All that be said, what number should people use? My payload door sticker says 1050 lbs. My sticker also says 6800 lb GVWR. My vehicle weight at the Cat Scale with 4 people and a full tank of gas is 5640 lbs. Which should mean I have 1160 lbs leftover or exclude family and gas and I have a payload of ~1700

So, if the 6800 GVWR is to be believed than I have a lot more payload. If the 1050 payload is to be believed, than the 6800 GVWR # is thrown out. BUT, both numbers are there.

Of all the trucks or cars I have weighed, I have never had one so far off. Some may have been 100 pounds or so off from a sticker but never 700 pounds. I also have never seen so many different Jeeps with different configurations all have that same 1050 lbs. Wonder why they do that
well, I think your door jamb sticker may be wrong since your real world math and weights exactly match the supposed JGC specs of 6800/5150/1660...

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2012/2012_wk2_specifications.pdf

the only thing I can come up with is that options officially count against payload and all the specs are for the base trim configs (LTD/V8/4x4 for you) so the options like tow hitch, audio upgrades, moon roofs, etc... may be deducted based on the mfr weight "penalty" they tag each accessory with before arriving at our door jamb payload sticker numbers...so do you think you have 600 lbs of options over a base LTD/V8/4x4? tow pkg brings alot with it with hd cooling, wiring, receiver, hd brakes, full size spare (yr?)...what else u got?

for me, my spec payload is 1,350 (base SRT) and my door jamb also says 1,050 so a 300 lb payload deduction is plausible for me as I have the tow package, full size spare, pano moon roof, HD audio and red vapor package..

but 600 lbs of options for you?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
well, I think your door jamb sticker may be wrong since your real world math and weights exactly match the supposed JGC specs of 6800/5150/1660...

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2012/2012_wk2_specifications.pdf

the only thing I can come up with is that options officially count against payload and all the specs are for the base trim configs (LTD/V8/4x4 for you) so the options like tow hitch, audio upgrades, moon roofs, etc... may be deducted based on the mfr weight "penalty" they tag each accessory with before arriving at our door jamb payload sticker numbers...so do you think you have 600 lbs of options over a base LTD/V8/4x4? tow pkg brings alot with it with hd cooling, wiring, receiver, hd brakes, full size spare (yr?)...what else u got?

for me, my spec payload is 1,350 (base SRT) and my door jamb also says 1,050 so a 300 lb payload deduction is plausible for me as I have the tow package, full size spare, pano moon roof, HD audio and red vapor package..

but 600 lbs of options for you?
Oh, I don't disagree with your thought process. I'm sure a bunch of jeeps come off a line with all the same payloads and then as items get added the payload drops. The problem is I have seen non towing, non sun roof, overland, laredo's, all different ones all having the same 1050 payload sticker. On top of that, my vehicle says my jeep can weigh 6800 pounds fully loaded but at the scale my jeep weighs ~5000 pounds. That should tell me that I have 1800 pounds of payload (I estimated the 5000 pounds, not real). That scale number includes all my options since it's a real weight.

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
it's always been in-congruent math...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would the door jamb maybe be worse case scenario?
So with a limited, overland, and summit they'll assume you have optioned it up and gotten the diesel?
With an SRT you don't have different engine options. Ditto with the Laredo.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a pretty much loaded diesel, to which I've added the trailhawk rock rails (+80 lbs). The CAT scale said it weighed 5580 lbs without me in it, but with full fluids, plus recovery gear, emergency supplies, and compressor (all of which I always carry so I consider it part of my base weight). So even if you add 150 lbs for me, that's still 1070 lbs of payload remaining, even with all of my added stuff.

When adding a travel trailer to the mix, don't forget to make sure you're within the GAWRs as well as GVWR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts