Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my stock 203 degree thermostat with a 180 degree Mishimoto perf. thermostat, been using it for about a month with no problems at all.
My local outside temps are now approaching around 100 degrees. Went for a drive the other night, temp about 98-99, and my SRT threw a check engine trouble code (DTC) and (MIL) illumination.....
My scanner read it, and it was a trouble code for the Thermostat Temp operating range, no big deal, as everything was fine, all gauges etc were in the normal operating range.... I have reset the (DTC), but expect that with these high outside temps, that the computer will again feel my engine coolant temps are lower than the normal computers operating range and throw a code again.
So we will see, if it does, the only real solution would be to reinstall the factory 203 degree thermostat, or live with the trouble codes, until the outside temps drop again

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,835 Posts
Ive had the 180 jet since about 200 miles on my 14. Not.one code

Reactions: theweavman

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of outdoor temps have you run in, anything over 100 degrees? The thermostat seems to be fine as it is opening correctly and the coolant temp guage was showing about 189-190 when the fault was triggered and the outside temp was about 99... I never got a code when I had the 180 in my 5.7 hemi ram.... And I have run it in my SRT for a month or two with no problems before.... Will have to see if it happens again

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,835 Posts
I live in KY and we have temps in the 90+ range from May - sept. But i drove my jeep to southern FL last summer 4x in 100+ temps with 0 problems or lamps.

Reactions: theweavman

·
Project Six Shooter V2 / ROUSH Prototype Tech
14 WK2
9,170 Posts
I live in KY and we have temps in the 90+ range from May - sept. But i drove my jeep to southern FL last summer 4x in 100+ temps with 0 problems or lamps.
I can also attest to Scott's claim, as I live I'm fort Campbell only a few hrs away from Scott. Weather is hot and humid most of the summer months.

I don't have a 180° t-stat as of yet but it's a planned mod when I do a coolant flush coming soon

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know that others have had no problems, Maybe I had a stuck thermostat for some odd reason, have to see what happens this week, it's going to be 108-109 all week, not that it should make any difference, but I also have a polished billet aluminum thermostat housing

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting update, drove my Jeep yesterday in stop and go traffic and on the freeway, twice, back and forth to work....outside air temp 101 degrees......no DTC or MIL....still with my 180 degree thermostat installed, hope it stays that way.....it was interesting that I have had it installed for a month or two with no problems, then all of a sudden it triggers a code, cleared the code, and all seems back to normal.....fingers crossed

·
GO GREEN!
640 Posts
I installed the JET 180 yesterday, do I need to tune for it or is it just plug and play? Usually I have a tuner tool to mess with things but I dont have one anymore will i be good?

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed a 180 Mishimoto racing thermostat and after about a month it started throwing codes, replaced it with a Jet 180 and all seems fine ever since... No other programing etc was necessary, have run it in outside temps from 50's to 113 degrees so far with no more codes being thrown

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the JET 180 yesterday, do I need to tune for it or is it just plug and play? Usually I have a tuner tool to mess with things but I dont have one anymore will i be good?
I turned my fan temps down to 190 DEG F with my Diablosport InTune DCX...but this is not necessary for your new stat...just a bonus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts