Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 06 grand Cherokee limited hemi 5.7 about 3 weeks ago. The second week I had it the red lighting bolt came on. I replaced throttle body, camshake &crankshaft sensor EGR, air intake sensor and replaced a wire to my alternator to give correct voltage to it.

The red lighting bolt will not go away. I have tested it and it keeps bring up the throttle body. It is at a repair guy shop right now and he has been looking it over and he isnt sure what it could be!

Does anyone have any experience with this before I just keep dropping more money in it??

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
After I put a Viper TB on my JK I had that happen 2 times and so I hit the Web and found this. You need to do this within 15 seconds after turning the key on:
Turn the key to on
Wait for the dash lights to go out that will before the vehicle is started
Slowly push gas pedal all the way to the floor
Slowly let it up
Turn the key to off
Start the vehicle up

It didn't see like things was right yet after driving it a few times and I also read where someone else said to do the pedal down and back up fast, so then I did that a little faster then the first time and never got the lightning bolt again.

It doesn't cost anything to do this so you might try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have an 07 5.7 with 80k miles and the lightning bolt comes on and engine shuts off. Been sitting at the mechanics for a week now and they tell me they haven’t had it happen with them. But I honestly think they haven’t drove it around to have it come on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have an 07 5.7 with 80k miles and the lightning bolt comes on and engine shuts off. Been sitting at the mechanics for a week now and they tell me they haven’t had it happen with them. But I honestly think they haven’t drove it around to have it come on.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was lol? I'm also having that issue my 2010 5 7 died on me last night with the red lighting bolt and won't start now

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Did you scan the PCM for any CEL trouble codes?

According to my '18 WK2 manual the red lightning bolt indicates a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control. The symbol looks something like this but red: [z]

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning

Light
This warning light will illuminate to inform of a problem
with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system. If a
problem is detected while the vehicle is running, the light
will either stay on or flash depending on the nature of the
problem. Cycle the ignition when the vehicle is safely and
completely stopped and the transmission is placed in the
PARK position. The light should turn off. If the light
remains on with the vehicle running, your vehicle will
usually be drivable; however, see an authorized dealer for
service as soon as possible.
NOTE:
This light may turn on if the accelerator and brake
pedals are pressed at the same time.
If the light continues to flash when the vehicle is running,
immediate service is required and you may experience
reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle, or engine
stall and your vehicle may require towing. The light will
come on when the ignition is placed in the ON/RUN or
ACC/ON/RUN position and remain on briefly as a bulb
check. If the light does not come on during starting, have
the system checked by an authorized dealer

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
864 Posts
So, if the light comes on when depressing both brake and accelerator pedals at the same time, is it really a reminder to change your pants as you've nearly hit something and pooped yourself? 🤔😆

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
So, if the light comes on when depressing both brake and accelerator pedals at the same time, is it really a reminder to change your pants as you've nearly hit something and pooped yourself? 🤔😆
Coouuld Beee! :rolleyes:
But i don't know about the crapping and having to change britches. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Seakir
1 - 7 of 7 Posts