Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 High Altitude with 1k miles on it that I park outside. This morning was actually the first time I started it and immediately got back out of the car - I noticed it tick a few times before stopping. Is this normal?

I tried searching, but I'm on mobile and can't find the search button.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 GC Summit 4x4
1,555 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2015 overland. I always just ignored it but it's a question I've been curious about. I've got 10k miles on mine and it hasn't blown up yet, so take that for what it's worth

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
My '16 Hemi ticks a bit on a cold start, goes away after about 30 seconds. I chalk that up to the Hemi Tick though. I'll switch it to synthetic at the 1st oil change and see if it clears up.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have a 2016 High Altitude with 1k miles on it that I park outside. This morning was actually the first time I started it and immediately got back out of the car - I noticed it tick a few times before stopping. Is this normal?

I tried searching, but I'm on mobile and can't find the search button.

Thanks.
If you feel this is a major concern, I recommend having it diagnosed by a certified FCA dealer. Let me know if you need assistance. - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Reactions: chucksc

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Every American brand motor I have owed knocks at cold start up. I have owned foreign vehicles, like the 5.6 Titan and they are tickless at cold starts even in the Vermont winters. Very powerful and quiet... The tolerances on foreign vehicles are closer then USA. The motors built in America need time to heat up and expand to stop the ticking.

·
Registered
535 Posts
No "tick" with my 2013 5.7L Hemi at start-up or at any other time. Filled with Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5W20. And, mine sits in our garage for several days between starts.

Dan

Reactions: kooter

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
No "tick" with my 2013 5.7L Hemi at start-up or at any other time. Filled with Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5W20. And, mine sits in our garage for several days between starts.

Dan
To quote Trump. Liar...they all do it, right from the gitgo... Doesn't matter what oil you use... or make, Ford, Chevy.ect. I'm 65 and never have had and American made motor not tick on cold mornings. SAD...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
To quote Trump. Liar...they all do it, right from the gitgo... Doesn't matter what oil you use... or make, Ford, Chevy.ect. I'm 65 and never have had and American made motor not tick on cold mornings. SAD...
Uh, what? I've had plenty of American motors that don't tick, including the V6 in both my 2012 and 2014 Jeeps. And the 4.0L in my 2001 Cherokee. Let's see, Dads '94 Bronco with the 5.0L didn't tick, still doesn't after 180,000 on the clock, or my parents V6 in their 2015 GC. I could keep going.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My 4L Cherokee use to tick terrible. I use to have to add a can of Engine Restore just to calm it down. It would only tick about 45 seconds or so. My Chevy 4.8L pickup did the same thing. It took a while to prime the valves. The oil would seep down over night.

·
Registered
2012 GCO
1,387 Posts
A friend of mine who has worked on cars professionally his whole life, not engine work, but body, paint and customizations, almost flipped out when he heard my '12 GCO with the Pentastar start up on a cold morning. It rattles like hell for the first 4 or 5 seconds, then immediately quiets down and idles silky smooth. It just turned over 100k miles and he thought I needed a new engine.

No, I explained, it has done that since I bought it new. The Pentastar engine has 40# less aluminum in the castings than a comparable GM motor, and it's DOHC with plastic valve covers. All engines with hydraulic valve adjustment do this, you just hear it more because of the way the engine is constructed.

I'm not as familiar with the pushrod Hemi engine but I'm sure it's a lot quieter because the hydraulic adjusters are buried deep inside the short block instead of way up high in the head.

"Euro" cars are not that much different different. What they have going for them is the manufacturers specify better oils, and these oils have lower cold viscosities than what US manufacturers typically specify. The Euros usually run a lower first viscosity number, or "W", number, than the US cars do, and the lower number flows better when the oil is cold.

If you park your vehicle in the cold and do a lot of short trips, use the same 2nd number viscosity rating as the manufacturer recommends, but consider spending the extra $2 or so per quart to going to a lower W number. For example, if Chryco recommends 5W-30, consider a 0W-30.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.