Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 JGC Overland and 18 Audi SQ5
139 Posts
Isopropyl is perfect for the surface prep before the sealant is applied, I just happen to have the wax and grease remover in my garage cabinet.

Regular washes IMO are the single best thing you can do to keep a vehicle's paint looking good and spray on wax like mentioned above has a high return for the amount of work it takes to apply.

It is a good idea to wipe the panel down with a solvent (isopropyl or W&G remover) for improving the adhesion of the end product to the painted surface, my buddy with the detail business will wash the vehicle prior to any detailing work with Dawn dish soap.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep i get your point jonsfoto but i think that might apply primarily to city dwellers.

Out here in the country with gravel roads, salted slush Winter roads, farm tractors mud in the road, semi's splashing who knows what, on and on...i don't think no wax or ceramic coating is gonna withstand all that paint torture for long especially with continual washing to keep it clean.

Right or wrong, i feel its best to leave it alone during the Winter months grimy as it may be with the occasional hose off and then spruce it up in the Spring.
So every late Spring when the farmers here are done planting, i've been washing 'n waxing my goto inclement weather WK2 and hope for the best until next Winter.
And it does look sharp once its washed 'n waxed.

By the way i stopped at O'reilleys today to pick up some tranny fluid for my XJ's Tcase and also a WiX oil filter for my XJ.
Not only didn't they have 303 graphene they never heard of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The benefits of these new ceramic and graphene coatings is the hardness of the product once cured. I would think that would be really important in a harsh environment but it’s a personal choice in how much time and money you are willing to invest

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The benefits of these new ceramic and graphene coatings is the hardness of the product once cured. I would think that would be really important in a harsh environment but it’s a personal choice in how much time and money you are willing to invest
I agree with that in principal!
Keep in mind I do give my WK2 a good waxing in the Spring and Fall with Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax.
But i don't bother giving it a full washing during the Winter and only occasionally during the Summer.

Why?
Around here just after a 2 hr. drive in fair weather right after a wash 'n wax, the dust build up especially on the rear hatch is a sight not to behold.
And if driven in the rain its just about useless washing it unless i wash it every week (wearing down any wax coating) which ain't gonna happen.
A good hose off once in a while is about all i do between waxes.

Been watching some videos on the 303 graphene stuff.
Every one of those videos mentions the wipe off stickiness, the strong solvent odor and possible gray staining of micro fiber towels.
The good news is it appears to hold up well or better than the competitor waxes in those videos.
Because of the stickiness factor i don't know how well it would repel dust which is a big factor for my driving environment.
We'll see.

Turtle wax came out with their own graphene version which which interestingly is white, pleasant odor and no stickiness.
I haven't been a fan of Turtle wax products in the past so the verdict is out on this product.

Gonna try another O'reilys for the 303 stuff and if they don't have it its back to my old Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax.
Maybe by Fall they will have it stocked.

Reactions: RCP7

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A FYI update.
I picked up the 303 Graphene nano spray coating at a local Advance Auto Store, last one on the shelf.

It was $25 with a $5 rebate.
Unfortunately won't get to try it out for a week or two as the weather here is still iffy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The 303 Graphene has sparked my interest.

For years I have used the same products/process on both of my vehicles and they always look brand new. My Mustang is 10 years old.

1. Use good wash mitts and drying towels
2. ONR-WW washes every week.
3. Opti-Seal as a drying aid
4. If time allows, claybar, light correction, and Opti-Seal in the Spring.
5. If time allows, Collinite 845 Wax in fall.

If only doing steps 1-3 above, my cars look really good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
RedWings I agree 100% that a good weekly washing is best thing you can do if it fits your schedule and environmental conditions allow.

I have been keeping cars that get to be 8/10 years old for a lot of my ownership history and our friends can't believe how good they look till the day we part ways with them.

I'm 60 and in the last few years the products available has really improved and I haven't used "wax' in at least 5 years now, just doesn't hold up like the new sealants do and take too much work.

Never heard of Opti-Seal but looks to be a polymer sealant which is similar to the ceramic and graphene spray products now available.

I use Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic Quick Detailer when drying my cars, puts an incredible shine on my medium blue SQ5 and takes no effort beyond just drying the car. Basically your steps 1-3 are my regular routine too

·
Registered
309 Posts
RedWings I agree 100% that a good weekly washing is best thing you can do if it fits your schedule and environmental conditions allow.

I have been keeping cars that get to be 8/10 years old for a lot of my ownership history and our friends can't believe how good they look till the day we part ways with them.

I'm 60 and in the last few years the products available has really improved and I haven't used "wax' in at least 5 years now, just doesn't hold up like the new sealants do and take too much work.

Never heard of Opti-Seal but looks to be a polymer sealant which is similar to the ceramic and graphene spray products now available.

I use Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic Quick Detailer when drying my cars, puts an incredible shine on my medium blue SQ5 and takes no effort beyond just drying the car. Basically your steps 1-3 are my regular routine too
Yup these products are great these days. Opti Seal is just something I've been using for years, it works for me, so I just keep on using it. I like it because when using alone, it just wipes on. No buffing off. Same with some of the spray waxes these days.

I've participated in a lot of forums where people discuss detailing and some people just get behind a process/product and think it is the absolute best and ONLY way to do it 'right'. I always tell people looking for products that you need to decide what your criteria is. That means how much time are you willing to spend, how many steps are you willing to do, and how much money do you want to spend. After years of trying different products/processes I found what fit my criteria best.

I can appreciate the guys who do the Zaino 8 step process but that shouldn't distract people from wanting a brand new looking car. Similar results can be accomplished with a lot less effort and money.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree, for myself I have developed a process with particular products and process that works for me and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update and my review on the 303 graphene nano stuff.

OK finally used that 303 graphene stuff today on my XJ as a ginny pig before trying it on my WK2.
Washed with a car soap and mitt, rinsed, clay barred using concentrated soapy water in a clean bucket as a lubricant then a final rinse.
Then pulled it in my pole barn for a final dry and then the 303 application.

The pro's:
-Nice shine but no better that i could tell compared to an old school wax or even Meguire's hybrid ceramic wax.

-The much touted solvent smell wasn't an issue at all but this was in my 50 X 70 foot pole barn with the doors open.

The con's:
-Because it goes on more or less like a clear film its sometimes hard to see the coverage the reason the directions indicate a cross hatch application.

-A PITA to wipe off the haze.
Now i understand the stickiness thing. Had to go over it again later in different light angle reflections with another clean micro fiber tower. But i do that with all waxes.

-Caution! Use latex gloves when applying. My right thumb is still somewhat blackened from the graphite compound.

-Caution again! I would not use it again on any kind of texturized plastic trim because it'll whiten it like some other waxes.
OK for very smooth plastic trims and windows though.

Final thoughts:
Depending on how it holds up during multiple washes i might or might not use it on my WK2 but probably not for my F150....too dam much surface area to wipe that stubborn haze off, my arms are still sore.

Been watching some Utube videos comparing the 303 against the new Turtle wax graphene flex something or other competitor.
They both hold up well to multiple washings per the videos i watched.
Plus the Turtle graphene flex wax can also be applied later like Meguire's hybrid ceramic wax as a spray and a swift rinse for ongoing maintenance.
Think i just might try the Turtle wax on my WK2 for a comparison.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, 3.6L V6
62 Posts
Good to know. I just picked up some Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating that I'm going to try. I'll update when I do, though it may be a while until I can get to it.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good to know. I just picked up some Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating that I'm going to try. I'll update when I do, though it may be a while until I can get to it.
Hey Doug great! Let us know how the Mothers goes because i've been just a little bit disappointed with the 303 though the final result shine was definitely acceptable and it could be my imagination but as a plus the color seemed to have deepened from the graphene.

Far as the PITA 303 sticky haze wipe off, maybe i let the 303 haze too long or not long enough but i think its the just the way it was designed.
By the way a day later and my thumb nail is still a little blackened from the 303 application.
They should include a pair of latex gloves with each bottle. lol

While you're testing the Mothers, i think i'm gonna pick up a bottle of Turtle Wax nano graphene Flex to test on my WK2 if i can find it locally.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm normally a big fan of the 303 line of products, especially their stuff for interiors and convertible tops. I still may give their graphene stuff a try at some point, but I will wear gloves! 😆

Not sure where you are, but the local auto parts stores around me carry the Turtle Wax.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm normally a big fan of the 303 line of products, especially their stuff for interiors and convertible tops. I still may give their graphene stuff a try at some point, but I will wear gloves! 😆

Not sure where you are, but the local auto parts stores around me carry the Turtle Wax.
Yeah, a couple members here turned me on to the 303 interior protectant a year or so ago and its the best i've found so far.

Maybe because of all the hype i expected too much of the 303 graphene nano coating.
In all fairness to the 303 graphene does produce a really good 'n slick shine on a 21 year old Jeep with its original paint.
I will definitely use it again probably as a base coat and then use the Meguire's or Turtle Wax hybrid stuff as a maintenance wax after a wash.
Just have to be careful applying it to textured plastic trim and next time i will wear gloves when using it.
I don't know how it will work though with my TrailHawk's large plastic anit glare decal on the hood.

My blackened thumb nail is finally starting to reach some normalcy. lol

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
FWIW, after applying the 303 nano graphene stuff to all 3 of my vehicles i will never use it again.
Why? Read below.

-Its a thin film and somewhat transparent in certain lighting conditions making it sometimes difficult to know if all areas were covered. The reason for the cross hatch application per the directions.

-it does produce a glossy shine but IMO no better than an old school carnuba wax.

-Unlike some other waxes i've used, it doesn't do a great job of removing residual hard water spots.

-The stickiness factor when wiping off after hazing.
Yep its definitely there and really needs to be gone over with the micro fiber wiping cloth and then once more with another clean micro fiber towel.

-After applying it today in 90+ degree weather to my WK2, i went off to the local liquor store to pick up some needed cold ones.
When i came out of the store I noticed the sun hit it just right revealing for a lack of a better term shiny residual product swirl marks left on the paint. I hate that.
And i wiped the stuff off initially and then again with a clean micro fiber cloth.

-You really need latex gloves when applying or else your finger nails will get stained.

-And finally during the wipe off procedure in my pole barn i got stung by a hornet and if that wasn't enough just about when almost done when attempting to apply the stuff to my front bumper area the bottle's dam spray mechanism broke.
Right now that 303 bottle is in the trash.
Bad omens?

OK maybe i applied it too thick or too thin, left it on too long or not long enough or didn't use multiple clean micro fiber towels for the wipe offs but if its that tricky to apply forget it.

Having said all that i'll see how well it holds up for multiple machine car washes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the info. I finally got around to cleaning mine. We've been hit with some pretty torrential downpours lately so it was a good time to work in the pole barn.

I clay barred the whole thing and was kinda surprised at how clean it was. Yeah, I got some grime out of the paint, and it was a lot smoother, but compared to when I did it to my SO's car, it wasn't too bad. I've only owned my WK2 for 5 months, so not sure what it's been through prior.

I used the Mother's CMX on the whole thing including the rear window and sunroof. Went on surprisingly easy and came off just as easy. Like you noticed, the appearance when I was done didn't seem any different than a good old carnauba wax, but it was easy to work with. Let it sit in the barn for 24 hours (they recommend keeping it dry for 24 hours after application) and really haven't driven it since. I've been off work this week and I've been driving the truck, working around the property and hauling stuff, so the GC has been sitting. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

I do have to find a new helper though. My current one just lays down on the job too much.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for the info. I finally got around to cleaning mine. We've been hit with some pretty torrential downpours lately so it was a good time to work in the pole barn.

I clay barred the whole thing and was kinda surprised at how clean it was. Yeah, I got some grime out of the paint, and it was a lot smoother, but compared to when I did it to my SO's car, it wasn't too bad. I've only owned my WK2 for 5 months, so not sure what it's been through prior.

I used the Mother's CMX on the whole thing including the rear window and sunroof. Went on surprisingly easy and came off just as easy. Like you noticed, the appearance when I was done didn't seem any different than a good old carnauba wax, but it was easy to work with. Let it sit in the barn for 24 hours (they recommend keeping it dry for 24 hours after application) and really haven't driven it since. I've been off work this week and I've been driving the truck, working around the property and hauling stuff, so the GC has been sitting. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

I do have to find a new helper though. My current one just lays down on the job too much. View attachment 234776
Like your helper!

One thing i will never do again is apply any kind of wax to any windows.
Why?
In my experience, because of future ongoing window cleaning maintenance with off the shelf window cleaning products, they don't do a good job of eliminating any wax artifacts but instead tend to smear that wax residue on window glass.
And that 303 Graphene stuff is the worse in that respect, also in my experience.
Maybe its good on paint but not on glass.

Next i'm gonna try that Turtle Wax Graphene Flex something or other and see how that goes.
If thats also a failure going back to my old reliable Meguires hybrid ceramic wax and be done with experimenting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
mopardo I have had days like yours.......

Carnauba can add awesome gloss to a vehicle's paint but the big concern is durability which these new products are much better at. I watched a pro detailer apply the 303 product to a door that was off car on saw horses and after applying the 303 and curing he put all kinds of washes on it and it held up very well.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
mopardo I have had days like yours.......

Carnauba can add awesome gloss to a vehicle's paint but the big concern is durability which these new products are much better at. I watched a pro detailer apply the 303 product to a door that was off car on saw horses and after applying the 303 and curing he put all kinds of washes on it and it held up very well.
I agree carnuba waxes do look great right after the application but don't hold up that well.
With all these new graphene/ ceramic/ hybrid type waxes today, i think carnuba waxes will sooner or later become obsolete.

The one video i seen did a side by side comparison of the new Adams, Turtle Wax Flex and 303 graphene products with some serious multiple washings to test their durability.
Surprisingly the Adams failed the absolute fist washing test completely losing its water beading property.
After 3 or 4 more washings some with harsh cleaning products both the Turtle Wax and the 303 still had water beading with the 303 having a very slight edge over the Turtle Wax.

Don't get me wrong the 303 graphene has a very acceptable shine especially on my F150 for some reason but the application was the stickler at least for me.
I did clay bar all 3 vehicles before applying the 303 but thats all i did, no other prep work.
Maybe some of the old Meguire's Ceramic Hybrid wax was still left on the paint in addition the wash soap was also of the wax type possibly causing some of the issues i had with the 303...who knows!

Gonna see how the Turtle Wax Flex works probably next Spring.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Finally got around to first full detail of the new GC and happy with the results and time will tell how well the 303 Graphene Coating holds up.
Washed with my regular car wash soap
Re-washed with strip wash which is basically Dawn dish soap
Used the strip wash for lubricant to clay cloth
Fully dried GC
Wiped all the panels and sunroof down with isopropyl alcohol
Finished with 303 Graphene coating
Ended up with a beautiful deep shine on the granite grey color.
For me the 303 wiped off easily and would not hesitate to use again, hopefully surface is still protected 3 months and longer from now and I do use Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic Quick Detailer every couple of washers so shine should hold up nice

21 - 40 of 40 Posts