Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and need advice.
I sold my TJ Wrangler 3 years ago and really miss it.
Now I'm considering a 2017-18 WK.
I found a cheap low mileage 18 Laredo with Qt1 that was a CA lemon buyback. It's Jeep certified and the dealer said the owner complained about an oil leak, check engine and traction control lights but Chrysler could not find any problems.
Should I even bother driving it or just pass on it?
Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
IMO, unless they would give you a helluva deal on a Max Care package, once a lemon, always a lemon. There are just some bad ones that get made, particularly with electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks that's kinda what I was thinking.
Another 18 Laredo I'm checking out has a clean carfax and is the only one I've come across with QT2. I don't go off road and just want something good for WI winters. Is the QT2 set up as reliable and is it more costly to maintain?

·
Registered
30 Posts
QT1 is the base 4-wheel drive system. QT2 is a step up which offers a 4-Lo range for tougher off-roading. Quadra-Drive 2 adds ELSD in the rear wheels and provides maximum grip under tougher articulation situations when off-roading. Anyone of these systems is going to perform well for winter conditions as all three are full-time 4-wheel drive systems. I'm not aware of anything that would cause one to be more expensive to maintain.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk w/ 5.7 V8
195 Posts
QT2 (or QTII) also has the different modes for the 4x4 system, to help with traction in specific situations. (Snow mode for snow, sand mode for sand, etc.)

Unless you desire to go into ditches of deep snow to pull folks out, or something equally off-road-ish, QT2 is probably just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks all for the advice. I'll check back once I'm back in the family. oIIIIIIo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Another thing.

I drove a 17 Laredo with 38k miles and it was nice but had a loud squeal from the blower motor on all speeds. The dealer acted like it was news to him but he had to know. Not sure why they wouldn't fix that before selling the vehicle.
Is this a common problem? How expensive to repair?

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
No it's not common. They should fix it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We just had to replace ours in a 2014 WK2 at about 65K. Rock Auto for ~$60 and 15 year old to crawl under dash, :)
Do the cabin air filter at the same time if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. I just closed the deal on a 17 with 40k and the blower is quiet as new so hopefully it'll be good for awhile.

Thanks again everyone for all the input.

Glad to be back in the Jeep fam!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On to the next thing. Tires.

I want to upgrade and found a deal on Michelin's

255/70/18 -- 32" tall

Will they fit with no issues?

Otherwise I'd go 265/65/18

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
Lots and lots and lots of tire threads in the dedicated sub-forum up above.

32" is max without physical modification, but the specific tire tread characteristics at the edge can matter. You'll also need to change out your spare to a tire of the same diameter that you are running on the four corners to avoid damaging your drivetrain if you have to run the spare. Your speedo/odo will no longer be accurate...and any software that can change it costs money.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
503 Posts
On to the next thing. Tires.

I want to upgrade and found a deal on Michelin's

255/70/18 -- 32" tall

Will they fit with no issues?

Otherwise I'd go 265/65/18
I run the 255/70/18 sized Cooper AT3 4S. In my opinion, they fit better then the 275/65/18s, I had Duratracs on my other Trailhawk.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The blower fan on my 2012 GC was replaced under warranty. I couldn’t hear the squealing (no surprise there) but everyone else could.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts