Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my jeep. Had it since new, sure I've gone a whole load of work I never thought I'd need to but most I've managed myself without issue. Now however, I've started to get clicking from my transmission. Seems to happen when loading it up (through acceleration or from D to R and back) or when it's unloading, like coasting. It might be nothing but I've read a few have had problems with the 5spd box and I'm curious if this is an early warning sign? My ac compressor has started making a lot of noise when stationary now too so that's another consideration...

What do you think? Any ideas? I'm pretty sure its done it for a couple of years. It's had a tranny oil change at 100k.

120k miles, 2013 (2012 MY 3.0 crd).

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Are you sure the clicking is coming from the transmission? I'm not aware of any common problem that causes a clicking noise. If fluid is low enough, you will have improper operation of the transmission and some noises. The trans cooler is common to develop a leak, dirt and dust in the air flowing through it will mix with the leaking oil and will form grimey build up, I had very few drips that would have been easy to miss, but when I finally noticed my cooler was leaking, it was covered in grimey build up and I was 3 quarts low on fluid.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Are you sure the clicking is coming from the transmission? I'm not aware of any common problem that causes a clicking noise. If fluid is low enough, you will have improper operation of the transmission and some noises. The trans cooler is common to develop a leak, dirt and dust in the air flowing through it will mix with the leaking oil and will form grimey build up, I had very few drips that would have been easy to miss, but when I finally noticed my cooler was leaking, it was covered in grimey build up and I was 3 quarts low on fluid.
I've just changed my cooler but it was clicking before that. I'm not certain of the fluid level but did top it up with a little more than what came out of the old condenser. I've not had any symptoms of low oil nor are there problems with the function of the box.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
I had a manual transmission, that the engine had sudden stoppage, and it suffered a damaged bearing on the main shaft and broke the corners off the teeth of main input gear. It would make a clacking noise when coasting (you might describe that as clicking). But this can happen to Manual Transmissions when they are exposed to a big shock. Automatic transmissions by their very nature absorbs shocks. Damaged gear teeth usually happen from overheating or malfunctions while shifting and then the symptoms are much worse than a clicking noise.

Exhaust leaks can make clicking/tapping noise, as well as the engine valvetrain, and they will change with the engine load. Could you be mistaking those noises as coming from the transmission. Diesel engines are known for making more noise than gasoline engines, with their high peak combustion pressures and engine driven high pressure fuel pumps.

Have you tried to troubleshoot by shifting into neutral while coasting and seeing if the clicking goes away or changes?

2012 M/Y should have the 545RFE transmission that has a simple dipstick to check the transmission fluid level? Is it different for export models? (I see you're in Great Britain).
Especially after changing the cooler and adding fluid. The NAG1 transmission that came with V6 gasoline engines have a dipstick tube, but no dipstick, just a cap, but you can buy the special tool for like $10-$20 to measure the fluid level, some come with the charts for the temp vs level for the transmission, but this is in the U.S..

The Domestic designed 545RFE is tolerant of being a little off on fluid level, so it comes with a dipstick for the customer to check and adjust fluid level.
The Mercedes designed (but domestically manufactured under license) NAG1 is not as tolerant of fluid level being off, so they just put a cap on the fill tube and tell you to go to the Dealership to have the fluid level checked. An amateur can easily do it, as long as they are more thorough, careful and precise with the fluid level than the typical transmission and you have to get the special tool which is nothing more than a dipstick.

The ZF 8 spd transmission didn't come till the 2014 M/Y, and it is much more difficult to check the fluid level of that trans. Its a pull the fill plug and have fluid weep from the fill hole, but only after performing a lengthy procedure and measuring the transmission fluid temp. But again, you should not have a ZF 8spd, not until the 2014 M/Y did they start using this trans.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a manual transmission, that the engine had sudden stoppage, and it suffered a damaged bearing on the main shaft and broke the corners off the teeth of main input gear. It would make a clacking noise when coasting (you might describe that as clicking). But this can happen to Manual Transmissions when they are exposed to a big shock. Automatic transmissions by their very nature absorbs shocks. Damaged gear teeth usually happen from overheating or malfunctions while shifting and then the symptoms are much worse than a clicking noise.

Exhaust leaks can make clicking/tapping noise, as well as the engine valvetrain, and they will change with the engine load. Could you be mistaking those noises as coming from the transmission. Diesel engines are known for making more noise than gasoline engines, with their high peak combustion pressures and engine driven high pressure fuel pumps.

Have you tried to troubleshoot by shifting into neutral while coasting and seeing if the clicking goes away or changes?

2012 M/Y should have the 545RFE transmission that has a simple dipstick to check the transmission fluid level? Is it different for export models? (I see you're in Great Britain).
Especially after changing the cooler and adding fluid. The NAG1 transmission that came with V6 gasoline engines have a dipstick tube, but no dipstick, just a cap, but you can buy the special tool for like $10-$20 to measure the fluid level, some come with the charts for the temp vs level for the transmission, but this is in the U.S..

The Domestic designed 545RFE is tolerant of being a little off on fluid level, so it comes with a dipstick for the customer to check and adjust fluid level.
The Mercedes designed (but domestically manufactured under license) NAG1 is not as tolerant of fluid level being off, so they just put a cap on the fill tube and tell you to go to the Dealership to have the fluid level checked. An amateur can easily do it, as long as they are more thorough, careful and precise with the fluid level than the typical transmission and you have to get the special tool which is nothing more than a dipstick.

The ZF 8 spd transmission didn't come till the 2014 M/Y, and it is much more difficult to check the fluid level of that trans. Its a pull the fill plug and have fluid weep from the fill hole, but only after performing a lengthy procedure and measuring the transmission fluid temp. But again, you should not have a ZF 8spd, not until the 2014 M/Y did they start using this trans.
Thanks Mongo53. Yeah, no dipstick on my trans unfortunately. I have seen some available in Germany with the viscosity and temp table to measure. I've got the trans temp on the EVIC so whilst it would be 100%, it's better than nothing. It's the 5pd not 8.

The click is list something engaging and dis-engaging. It's like a switch turning on and off. I'll try coasting and see if that makes any difference. I first thought it was a slight brake bind and the click was braking the bind, as I only noticed it when manoeuvring at low speed, esp from D to R and back. It's like a switch clicking in and out. I might just do the transfer case and diff fluids again and see if that makes any difference.

I'll try the freewheelin and see if that makes any difference! I'll report back later!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I tried the free wheeling and nothing. I noticed it clicked on ignition and then when it was put in D. Most, not all, of the time when I let off the accelerator it clicked. Not noticeable above 35mph as too much wind noise. It's almost like a solenoid enagaing for the clutch but I could be talking total nonsense. I did think it might have been the fuel pump but that doesn't make much sense. Could it be some sort of accutuator that powers up something in the gearbox that allows the clutch and gear shift to work?!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
Thanks Mongo53. Yeah, no dipstick on my trans unfortunately. I have seen some available in Germany with the viscosity and temp table to measure. I've got the trans temp on the EVIC so whilst it would be 100%, it's better than nothing. It's the 5pd not 8.
So you have fill tube at the back of the engine, but it just has a cap with no dipstick attached to it when you remove it? That should be the NAG1 Mercedes designed transmission, the 545RFE should can handle more torque, I would think you would get that trans with the Diesel. But you have an export model, which have differences from the Domestic Market.

After saying clicking is not common even from a bad transmission, I saw a thread for the ZF 8 spd where they owner did claim he had clicking noises, it needed a new valve body and caused the trans to fail because he continued to drive it while waiting for the new valve body to come in. But that was the ZF 8psd, and you have the 5spd, which is what vehicles of your M/Y came with and likely the NAG1 spd since you have no dipstick.

The clicking could be solenoid valves. I seem to vaguely remember the NAG1 have a main solenoid valve, either failing or needing calibrated that could make noise and cause the trans to operate poorly. Might want to do internet searches about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts