Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horrors!
My wife suggested last night maybe it's time to replace my 2012 Grand Cherokee because it is now 6 years old. Not a chance. The only thing I've had to replace on it over the last 120,000 miles has been the thermostat. Sure, it's had a bunch of recalls, but it's been very reliable and has never slid one bit on the MN winter roads.
It's got everything I need and nothing that I don't.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Horrors!
My wife suggested last night maybe it's time to replace my 2012 Grand Cherokee because it is now 6 years old. Not a chance. The only thing I've had to replace on it over the last 120,000 miles has been the thermostat. Sure, it's had a bunch of recalls, but it's been very reliable and has never slid one bit on the MN winter roads.
It's got everything I need and nothing that I don't.
Woah you got 120k miles out of these POS wk2 thermostats? Haha that's insane

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong about hanging on to a vehicle you like...outside of keeping your better half happy, of course. ;)

My MY12 is approaching 100K miles and I'll be in it for a few more years at this point for a number of reasons. Fortunately...I really like it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
66 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong about hanging on to a vehicle you like...outside of keeping your better half happy, of course. ;)

My MY12 is approaching 100K miles and I'll be in it for a few more years at this point for a number of reasons. Fortunately...I really like it.
Well I did just order a replacement today for my now 99K mile 2011 Limited 5.7 Hemi. It has been excellent in the almost 5 years I've had it. Only replacement part over that time was the water pump which was covered under extended powertrain warranty. Everything else was just maintenance, tires, or the numerous recalls. What ultimately drove me to order a new one was this thing I have about car milestones & how they affect value. No matter how hard I try to keep a car past 100K miles, in my head, I always feel like they'll take a value hit at 50K & 100K miles. The result is that I usually sell or trade my cars at 49K & 99K miles. I've done this my whole life & don't seem to be able to break the habit. Thought I would this time but then I thought about that 8 speed tranny w/paddles, bigger & better electronics, and a new Hemi w/0 miles on it, so that I'll have a Hemi V8 for many years to come. That just swayed me and the thoughts of not being able to get a Hemi V8 at some point down the road (years away) just pushed me a little further.

BTW Jim, I love the color of your JGC. That's actually one of my favorite BMW colors & is the color of the X3 35i we bought for my wife last year. Wish Jeep still offered it. I'm a Pennsylvania boy too (60 years) and out here in SW Colorado, we favor light colors because of the dust showing on dark colors and the intensity of the sun. It's very dusty here year round. That light metallic blue is one of the perfect light colors here that aren't white or silver, like everyone else's car.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Johnny, at the time I was buying the only light color available for the Summit (a package on Overland for MY11-13 rather than a separate trim level like now) was the Winter Chill. I originally wanted white because I didn't want two blue vehicles in a row, but no joy. At least it's in keeping with being a PSU alumni and parent of a current PSU student. :) While I'd love to get something new at this point, my recent retirement from full time work, my youngest being in her first year at PSU and my starting a business means no additional car payment can be supported right now...this thang is paid off and has a lifetime service contract.

·
Premium Member
2018 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7l Hemi
66 Posts
I ordered a bright white Overland in keeping with the Colorado theme of a white car, but I spec'd the brown interior rather than Lt Beige or Black. Love the white with beige/brown combination. The brown will actually match the color of the interior on my wife's X3, which BMW calls "mocha leather".

BTW, I'm a PSU grad as well.... as is my oldest child.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Wait and see what 2019 has to offer, hopefully surround camera setup
I doubt you will see that kind of thing in the last model year for this generation of JGC. MY20 is the next generation debut and it's more likely that an option like that might be available at that point, but I'll concede that you may have meant that given MY20 is currently planed for its debut sometime in 2019 . :)

·
Registered
75th Anniversary
955 Posts
I doubt you will see that kind of thing in the last model year for this generation of JGC. MY20 is the next generation debut and it's more likely that an option like that might be available at that point.
Dang it Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
You can keep track of the scuttlebutt on WL (MY20) in the WL Forum area, BTW. There's not a lot of detail yet for obvious reasons, but the insiders will add anything they can once it's been identified.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anytime my wife says I can buy something new gives me a huge smile You can always tell her you want a new one and need to keep the old one as a spare, that way you can have two and make the older one into a dedicated off roader, lol.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,467 Posts
I had a 2010 XK with 180k miles on it, only reason I got rid of it was because I got in an accident and insurance totalled it because of the high mileage. It was going strong, and would still be driving it, I was convinced I could easily have gotten that vehicle to 225k miles before hitting the reliability wall. Maybe it could go even further, that was just my guess.

I drove it pretty hard, but I also did overkill on preventative maintenance I did myself, always used synthetic oils/fluids. Keep in mind, Synthetic Axle Fluid is REQUIRED for the WK/XK and WK2. As well, ATF+4 is synthetic.

BTW, the XK is the Jeep Commander, a WK Jeep Grand Cherokee with a slightly bigger body on the basic frame and guts of the WK, they're pretty much the same thing, but yes the bigger body is more than just different shaped fenders, it is actually larger interior space and more length. Mechanically just about everything is the same.

I think the earlier Compass and Patriot you could argue are the same car, different shaped bodies.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anytime my wife says I can buy something new gives me a huge smile You can always tell her you want a new one and need to keep the old one as a spare, that way you can have two and make the older one into a dedicated off roader, lol.
I already have '71 and '75 CJ5s in the garage. :)

The '71 CJ5 was her dad's and I'm in the process of fixing a few rust spots and then on to repaint it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts