Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a question regarding regen timing. I always get the message to "keep driving regen in process" just after I start the car and start driving, maybe 2 minutes after starting. It never happens during a longer period of driving.
Could it be a part of a start up diagnostics in the computer? Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm only using the ecodiesel for longer roadtrips, so the regenerations often happen silently. The silent regenerations as far as I know only happen when the Soot Mass Level of captured soot is 75% or more. A regeneration then starts automatically. if you interrupt this regeneration (by switching the engine off), it tries to restart it the next time your start / run the engine. However, if you do a lot of short drives, keeping the engine fairly cold, these regenerations never finish, and so soot keeps on building up. Once it hits a certain level, it forces the regeneration and you'll see the message 'keep driving regen in progress'.

If you still ignore those messages, you'll probably run into the issue that the soot level is too high, engine will go into limp mode, and you'll need to drive to the dealer to get it serviced.

There's no set interval on which the regens will be triggered. it is really dependent on the soot level.

But - i'm not an expert, just reading this board and observing my scangauge readings.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only using the ecodiesel for longer roadtrips, so the regenerations often happen silently. The silent regenerations as far as I know only happen when the Soot Mass Level of captured soot is 75% or more. A regeneration then starts automatically. if you interrupt this regeneration (by switching the engine off), it tries to restart it the next time your start / run the engine. However, if you do a lot of short drives, keeping the engine fairly cold, these regenerations never finish, and so soot keeps on building up. Once it hits a certain level, it forces the regeneration and you'll see the message 'keep driving regen in progress'.

If you still ignore those messages, you'll probably run into the issue that the soot level is too high, engine will go into limp mode, and you'll need to drive to the dealer to get it serviced.

There's no set interval on which the regens will be triggered. it is really dependent on the soot level.

But - i'm not an expert, just reading this board and observing my scangauge readings.
Right, but I never have had a regen message while driving for any length of time, only when starting the vehicle, and coincidentally after a long highway drive. Usually the next day after I drive 200 miles to my cabin for some reason. Also I never let the regen not complete, which is a pain. The one time I did it went into limp mode, and had to see the dealer.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It usually pops up upon start ups, it doesn’t usually just show up in the middle of a 2 Hour drive. The problem is it doesn’t know whether you are going on a trip to CVS or a trip three hours away to visit family. That’s where the pain in the neck comes in....

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It usually pops up upon start ups, it doesn’t usually just show up in the middle of a 2 Hour drive. The problem is it doesn’t know whether you are going on a trip to CVS or a trip three hours away to visit family. That’s where the pain in the neck comes in....
Yep.. It's usually when I need to drive a half mile to the store.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
609 Posts
I've had the same, where, after a long highway trip (~270 miles, 60-80 MPH), the next cold start will give me the "keep driving - regeneration in process" message in the dash. It's had this trouble a couple of times in the last several months.

I never had that problem until I got the V08/VA7 emissions updates. I don't have the W41 campaign update yet because my dealer is seriously behind and is scheduled out like a month. I need to get on their schedule, but they don't take online scheduling requests and they're closed by the time I get off work and think about calling them. I just need to remember to call them on a break during the day to schedule.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Had my first regen messages since the last emissions update. At least it let me make three short trips like in the past and the regen lasted the same amount of time as before when it finishes about 3 miles from our house when I go a few exits down the freeway and turn around.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It's likely because the regens that happen every 75-200mi while you're driving are being completed. It's when you shut down during a regen that you're more likely to get the message at start-up to drive it.

As long as they're all completing and you don't have a CEL, all is good.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's likely because the regens that happen every 75-200mi while you're driving are being completed. It's when you shut down during a regen that you're more likely to get the message at start-up to drive it.

That's totally understandable, But it's a real inconvenience when after a 200 mile trip, a half mile trip to the store is a twenty minute drive on the freeway. The two times I didn't...Bingo full DPF see dealer

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yep, the one golden rule is if you get the regen warning, you had better take the time to drive to finish. Just saves a lot of potential issues.....

·
Registered
JGC Overland
325 Posts
This confounds me. Over the course of 195,000 miles driving this EcoD, I have never once had this message pop up. Yes, I drive a lot of highway, but lately due to Covid I've certainly had many more short trips...still havent seen it. FWIW - I had the original AEM but no further updates since, and I run GDE Hot Tune. Stories like this make me want to forgo any further updates and keep it as it is. I'm curious if this problem has been exacerbated by the software updates...seems so.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also, I Have never Had on Dash message Show up For regen In 75K Miles. Have had The first Two software updates installed.
I do use the Banks IDash monitor, which shows me when normal mechanical regens take place. I always make sure normal regens are complete before shutting the motor off.

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This confounds me. Over the course of 195,000 miles driving this EcoD, I have never once had this message pop up. Yes, I drive a lot of highway, but lately due to Covid I've certainly had many more short trips...still havent seen it. FWIW - I had the original AEM but no further updates since, and I run GDE Hot Tune. Stories like this make me want to forgo any further updates and keep it as it is. I'm curious if this problem has been exacerbated by the software updates...seems so.
GDE Hot Tune probably has something to do with it. I've got 85k on my 2014, completely stock. Never had the regen message come up in the 1st couple of years, but then would get it after that. After the original AEM it was once a week.

·
Registered
644 Posts

I'm no expert, but I can't see how the DPF would fill up in 200 miles or less when everything is working normally.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm no expert, but I can't see how the DPF would fill up in 200 miles or less when everything is working normally.
Normal none CEL regens never completed will fill up DPF

·
Registered
25 Posts
If FCA is on the line....

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to monitor the soot level, be advised when a regen will be needed soon, and then be able to decide when to do it (i.e. when you are going on a >20min highway drive)?

The info is somewhere in the cars computer, this should be an easy upgrade.

·
Registered
2015 4X4 diesel JGC Limited
38 Posts
I Just received the letter from FCA concerning the avalablity of the third AEM upgrade. This upgrade is to reduce the issues with the regeneration. i have a appointment next week to get this installed.
Does anyone have any experience with this latest version?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use OBD Fusion app to monitor regen readiness. Use AphaOBD app to force regens. You'll need to spend about $25 for a Bluetooth OBDII device to plug into your car's code sensing port.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If FCA is on the line....

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to monitor the soot level, be advised when a regen will be needed soon, and then be able to decide when to do it (i.e. when you are going on a >20min highway drive)?

The info is somewhere in the cars computer, this should be an easy upgrade.
I use Torque Pro app to monitor and AlfaOBD app to initiate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts