Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
jeep
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I know there are threads with this topic, I have read some of them. I still hope to get some help from the community. I also tried to submit my questions/concerns to customer care, but the website just loads.

2011 summit with 265/50r20 w/tpms. this will be my first tire change and I had no idea what a pita it is. The issues:

1. a service bulletin recommends replacing the stem with each change. it seems to me that solved by taking it to jeep.

2. so, I talked to a dealership nearby, md, and they tell me the 265/50r20 are rare and difficult to find. they may not be able to help me, per the dealership. I am not kidding. I do not know why I expected a different answer. in case you are wondering, tire rack, goodyear, and burger king can get the tires.

3. but then I stumble on, looking at other threads, tpms battery life which I had not considered. it is my impression the sensor sends a signal once a minute and over something like 15mph. these sensor, therefore, have 29k miles of battery life. should I have them replaced? who should do it? goodyear?

I ask for recommendations how you would approach my problem. if I let goodyear change the tires, should I take the stems? If I have goodyear replace the sensors, does that mean I still have to go a dealership for configuration?

I appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
265/50/20 are NOT rare...geeze. Every JGC from MY11 on with 20" wheels has that size tire. Many Ford F150s use it as to other mid-to-large SUVs. You can buy appropriate tires from pretty much any tire source you want to buy from. I use Costco now, but have purchased from Discount Tire Direct and TireRack. There are lots of tire threads here relative to "what to buy" preferences...personally, I have the Michelin Defender LTXs on my MY12 and they are outstanding.

TPMS don't need to be replaced unless they stop working. You certainly can replace stems, but they need to be the correct type on the "inside" so they work with the TPMS sensors. The ones that Discount Tire Direct recommends, for example, do NOT work with the JGC's TPMS. Replacement when getting new tires isn't a horrible idea since these parts do weather over time and they are not expensive, either.

·
Registered
jeep
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding, and Yeah, I get it; I have no trouble finding the tires online, and I questioned their position. I reminded them the tire size came with their vehicle, so I am having goodyear install the tires.

I must research the stems more as I should be able to figure out which ones work with our sensors.

You also helped because your thought is the way I was leaning; forget the sensors for now and focus on stems. simplify, for now. If this dealership could get the tires, this would be simple. oh well.

Thank you.

·
Registered
jeep
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OEM Mopar 68058766AA TPMS Tire Valve Stem

I found this as a possible valve stem, but have not confirmed. does anyone know the sensor brand in the 2011 summit 20" wheels? I know it might not be the same manufacturer throughout, but asking anyway.

thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
265/50/20 are NOT rare...geeze. Every JGC from MY11 on with 20" wheels has that size tire. Many Ford F150s use it as to other mid-to-large SUVs. You can buy appropriate tires from pretty much any tire source you want to buy from. I use Costco now, but have purchased from Discount Tire Direct and TireRack. There are lots of tire threads here relative to "what to buy" preferences...personally, I have the Michelin Defender LTXs on my MY12 and they are outstanding.

TPMS don't need to be replaced unless they stop working. You certainly can replace stems, but they need to be the correct type on the "inside" so they work with the TPMS sensors. The ones that Discount Tire Direct recommends, for example, do NOT work with the JGC's TPMS. Replacement when getting new tires isn't a horrible idea since these parts do weather over time and they are not expensive, either.
Heading to SEARS tomorrow morning, one TPMS is not working currently, should I replace all and are they of good quality? I have no Idea what SEARS will sell me... thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
You need a Jeep TPMS...it needs to talk to your vehicle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You need a Jeep TPMS...it needs to talk to your vehicle.
Thanks, end up getting the tires and told them not to install new TPMS. they suggested they had a scanner and would reset the TPMS. they did and said it was "broken" cause afterwards the car did not recognize it. Less than 4 miles of driving the car recognized the TPMS and all is good.

I got the General Grabber HTS60 size 20 for $714 including alignment for 1 year. I picked this tires because they were highly recommended for the Jeep Grand Cherokee size 18 rims. Very happy with my purchase, and I cant tell any difference in performance when compared with my previous set of Goodyear Forteras 265/50/20. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
It's normal for the TPMS to require a few miles of running before they reconfigure for position and current inflation pressure after a tire change/rotation.

If you didn't get 265-50-20 with the OEM diameter of ~30.6", you'll also need to swap out your spare tire to one of the same diameter if you have a 4x4 JGC. Your speedo and odo will also be inaccurate. It's not clear to me what you bought based on how you described your new tires.

·
Registered
jeep
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Great Support, everyone. I talked to Mike at TPMS.com, as well, and he also clarified a few things about relearning and relevant products. A great site. misinformation had me started on the wrong foot--I did not get it form here, so I appreciate the help. To conclude: I decided to replace the sensors (s0398) given it has been 7 years and that it could be, hopefully, 7 years before I need a new set of tires. Jeepgarage.com is a great site for help. Thank you.

edit: I forgot to mention, a jeep dealership is not touching the 'rare' tires or my new sensors.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
jonny', be really careful if you are able to run a set of tires for 7 years based on tread wear and low mileage driving. Tires also degrade from just "time". For example, with trailer tires, it's a common practice to replace every five years because of the effects of weather and UV on them.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
For others reading this thread.

Before TPMS, it was standard to replace valve stems with the tires. Since TPMS, they suggest "servicing the valve stems with new tires", basically new valve stems connecting the old TPMS to them.

The earlier TPMS had all metal valve stems (and different kinds of metal for the multiple pieces, very bad for a high corrosion environment like wheels). IMO, if you've got metal valve steps, you should replace them with the new rubber encased valve stems at the next tire change. The metal valve stems corrode and seize, don't be surprised if the TPMS sensor get broken trying to removing them. Of course if you don't replace them, then you could end up with them snapping in half and leaving you with a flat tire. The rubber encased valve stems act more like the old flexible valve stems and most importantly, they don't corrode and seize.

Best Guidance I've seen, don't expect your TPMS sensor to last past 8 years.....

And to change a TPMS sensor requires removing the tire, well the newer tire machines (actually not so new now) have fixtures to break the tire bead and pinch down the tire in one spot to get in there and change the TPMS and could avoid remounting and rebalancing the tire. Probably still a hefty fee, but less than a full tire unmount, remount and rebalance.

So kinda of a tough choice. You can wait till the TPMS actually fails to replace it. Or if you're coming up on 8 years for the TPMS, replace them with the next tire change would probably be cheaper overall.

I get pre-programmed TPMS sensors from RockAuto for ~$32. Most Dealerships and Tire Shops are going to charge you around $100 for a sensor, and then you pay the labor for mounting it in the wheel/tire. I got the Schrader brand aftermarket and it looks identical to OEM, sure doesn't mean it's the same quality, but same design and perhaps the same supplier.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's normal for the TPMS to require a few miles of running before they reconfigure for position and current inflation pressure after a tire change/rotation.

If you didn't get 265-50-20 with the OEM diameter of ~30.6", you'll also need to swap out your spare tire to one of the same diameter if you have a 4x4 JGC. Your speedo and odo will also be inaccurate. It's not clear to me what you bought based on how you described your new tires.
Yes, I got the General Grabber HTS60 265-50-20. I recommend them, after driving over 2000 miles on them, I am very happy and cant tell of any issues or concerns be it cornering, braking, wet driving, noise, etc. They handle very well.

Also, no issues with TPMS.

thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts