Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, do you guys use them? Any good ones you’d recommend?

I have been going around with my SAK screw driver (Swiss Army Knife) and holding that, and waiting, and waiting... And then going to the next tire. Lather, rinse, repeat, as the saying goes.

A set of brass deflators can run $200 so I wanted to check with the experienced off-roaders here. With deflators you can multitask while the tires are airing down.

Links appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
The back of an inexpensive "analog" tire pressure gage usually has a little pin that can be used for deflation. My digital gage also allows you to just pull the trigger to deflate...and check things along the way.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
The back of an inexpensive "analog" tire pressure gage usually has a little pin that can be used for deflation. My digital gage also allows you to just pull the trigger to deflate...and check things along the way.
My Michelin tire gauge has a button to deflate... if you have plenty of time. I can do it faster by just lightly pressing on the valve head with just about anything.
None of them are good for multi-tasking, but you do get a good whiff of "eau de tire"

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
603 Posts
Re: Tire Deflators — Recommendations?

The best I have used are Stauns. Pricey compared to most, but they were worth it to me after watching the cheap ones fail for others in staging over and over again.

Staun Tyre Deflators
This^.......I have had my Stauns for about 15 or so years, they work great. usually by the time I'm done putting them all on the 4 tires the 1st is close being done, Unless someone else has them I'm usually first ready to go. Gives me time to sort gear or get recover gear ready, add fuel whatever. Love them....if I lost them or damaged them somehow they would be replaced.

Reactions: echo7tango

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That’s the same as my SAK screw driver. I have to stay there, hold it, and wait and wait... and wait. Yes it works but it isn’t optimal.

The best I have used are Stauns. Pricey compared to most, but they were worth it to me after watching the cheap ones fail for others in staging over and over again.

Staun Tyre Deflators
Funny tag line at the Stauns web site: They <strikethrough>won’t</strikethrough> WILL let you down.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Staun Tyre Deflators
Thanks. I don't want to get something that will fail. Even for something not all that expensive.

And thanks also, Grimmjpr.

Reactions: Cerebus

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
603 Posts

Thanks. I don't want to get something that will fail. Even for something not all that expensive.

And thanks also, Grimmjpr.
No problem.....happy to help when I can. :D

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee TH
87 Posts
Another vote for Staun’s. I’d happily sell you mine if I can find them. I’m not wheeling anymore.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stauns ordered and inbound. Thanks all.

And thanks too, tdcolby, I like it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know you already bought your deflator but just wanted to share. I bought the smittybilt RAD,, rapid air deflator for 29.00, tried it out yesterday. Can air down from 36 psi to 17 psi in about 40 seconds. If you sit there and hold the valve with something else or use one of those buttons on a air gauge, you will be squatting there for up to 4 minutes or more. If someone is planning on off roading or beach driving look into getting one of these, it will save your knees and lots of time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts