Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing the Jeep today and I noticed that when I ran my hand over the outer tread on the front tires it felt like they were starting to feather or cup. The inside still felt smooth as did the rear tires. Its just both front on the outer tread blocks. I have about 3400 miles on it now and just wondering what would cause this and if any other have noticed it?

· Registered
Ram 1500
854 Posts
My wife's if doing the same thing at the same miles, she has Fortera's though, I don't know if you have those or the Michelins. I have the tire pressure set to 40psi on hers so that wouldn't be causing it. I'm just hoping they last until 5000 miles until the tires get rotated. I kind of hope they don't last that long because I want something more aggressive, although the prospect of spending $1000 on tires is not something I am looking forward to...

· Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife's if doing the same thing at the same miles, she has Fortera's though, I don't know if you have those or the Michelins. I have the tire pressure set to 40psi on hers so that wouldn't be causing it. I'm just hoping they last until 5000 miles until the tires get rotated. I kind of hope they don't last that long because I want something more aggressive, although the prospect of spending $1000 on tires is not something I am looking forward to...
Yes I also have the 20" Fortera's and the air pressure is also up around 40. Low air pressure would cause the tires to wear on both edges. What I am seeing is just feathering on the outer edge.

· Registered
Ram 1500
854 Posts
Yes I also have the 20" Fortera's and the air pressure is also up around 40. Low air pressure would cause the tires to wear on both edges. What I am seeing is just feathering on the outer edge.
Generally this is cause by bad ball joints or bad shocks, but on a brand new vehicle I'm guessing that is just a normal thing with these tires.

· Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
My tire pressure is at 36 cold and goes to 38 when they warm up 2014 overland 20 inch wheels should I boost the pressure to 40 if so why, I'm assuming for Better mpg?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
461 Posts
I have about 11,800 miles on my 20" Forteras (2011 Overland). I have slight feathering on the outside of all four tires. I rotated at 5k miles, with about 80% in town driving. The steering seems good and I keep inflated to 36 psi. IF the wear rate stays the same, I expect to get well over 50K on the tires.

· Registered
2014 Overland
332 Posts
I have about 11,800 miles on my 20" Forteras (2011 Overland). I have slight feathering on the outside of all four tires. I rotated at 5k miles, with about 80% in town driving. The steering seems good and I keep inflated to 36 psi. IF the wear rate stays the same, I expect to get well over 50K on the tires.
I have 1k miles on mine but I'd like to avoid the feathering If possible thinking about upping air pressure to avoid the feathering not sure it would help though?

· Registered
1,978 Posts
I hope it's not out 2014 just hit 1k miles

Mine was out from day 1. The centering of the steering wheel was off to the right. Had to have an alignment done on a Hunter Hawkeye Elite rack to get it correct. The alignment that is done at the factory just gets the adjustments close to the proper specs.

· Registered
253 Posts
An quick and easy way to check your inflation is to chalk the tires. To save myself some typing and also because it will give you pictures to reference search for "chalking tires to check inflation" and you will find many pages explaining the process. You'll want the bright stuff they make for kids to write on pavement as it makes it easier to see.

· Premium Member
51 Posts
If after playing with the tire pressure the car pulls left or right when driving, have the alignment checked. I have a 2012 limited, after picking it up and driving for 200 miles had to have 4 wheel alignment done. When the strap the cars down on delivery the over tighten the and that can cause the alignment to go out.

· Premium Member
51 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer and tell them that was the way you picked it up and have them check and re-align. You should be able to get a print out of the current alignment condition before and what it is after they they do the re-alignment if it is a computerized align.

· Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
800 Posts
33 psi was too soft for me. I set it to 36 psi and it rides much better. I think most are doing for the same reason.

Cheers,
-A

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.