Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 WK2 needs some new shoes and I'm between 3 models and would love some advice. I live in the PNW so lot's of wet driving and some snow driving (snowboard trips on the weekends).

I'm looking at the Nitto NT421Q, Yokohama YK-HTX and the Cooper Discoverer HTP.

I've done a ton of research and am still pretty torn and wondering if anyone here had any first hand experiences, positive or negative with any of the tires listed above.

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
I had researched tires for awhile and ended up getting Michelin defender ltx’s. I looked at the Yokohama’s and out of the 3 they have the best reviews. The defenders will out perform all 3 of those tires in the rain and snow. Have you considered them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - I have taken a look at those - I'm probably just being a cheapskate, but my 14 WK2 already has 95k on it - and I don't see myself driving it for more than 2-3 more years (40k or so) and I thought the Michelins may be a bit overkill.

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I have taken a look at those - I'm probably just being a cheapskate, but my 14 WK2 already has 95k on it - and I don't see myself driving it for more than 2-3 more years (40k or so) and I thought the Michelins may be a bit overkill.
That makes sense. I only have 23k on my 16 and I’m keeping it awhile. Check out Kumho crugen HT51’s tread design similar to the defenders and a cheaper price

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
I had the 421Q for awhile and it was a great tire while new, but not as sure-footed as it aged. Best tire I've ever owned has been the Michelin Defender LTX...by a mile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense. I only have 23k on my 16 and I’m keeping it awhile. Check out Kumho crugen HT51’s tread design similar to the defenders and a cheaper price
Thank you for that recommendation, those actually get the #1 rating on tireracks! I'm absolutely leaning that way now - I can get them for about 85$ less installed per tire than the Defenders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced the Nitto’s with the LTX Defenders. Too early to give much of a report but I have noticed a quieter ride, which I expected.

What I didn’t expect was a better ride when going over sharp jolts such as expansion joints. The Defenders soak up the hit better than the Nikko’s.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
What I didn’t expect was a better ride when going over sharp jolts such as expansion joints. The Defenders soak up the hit better than the Nikko’s.
That was my experience, too. They also last a lot longer...

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
I’ve had the defenders on for about two months now the traction in the rain and snow are very good. They are very stable and track well in the snow. This is the first time I went with a all season tire than a winter rated a/t tire on all my jeeps with the stock tires wore out. So far so good!

Reactions: Jim_in_PA

·
Registered
2012 WK2 Overland
7 Posts
I live in the PNW also and find my WK2 on gravel and dirt roads, mud, sand dunes, desert, and snow not to mention standstill traffic on I-5.
Hands down best PNW tire is the BFG All Terrain KO2's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts