Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GC Overland 4x4 5.7 HEMI
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am thinking of getting a 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 5.7 HEMI and the Off-Road Adventure II Package. However, it seems as though the previous owner replaced the ORAII 18'' wheels with 20'' wheels which have forteras on them. I wanted to swap them out with 275/55r20 BFG T/A KO2s, but they aren't available near me at the moment, and I'd like to have the vehicle good to go before I head back to school in upstate NY next week. Instead, I was thinking of getting LT275/55R20 General Grabber AT/X, and was wondering if anyone had experience with these tires? Especially wanted to make sure they'll fit with no rubbing. Also, if anyone could tell me if they're good in snow and ice, that would be great!

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
If you're going to put ATs on it, put ATs that are three peaks rated. That's the better bet for upstate NY for sure.

BTW, KO2s are pretty heavy tires, too...that's going to affect fuel economy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going to put ATs on it, put ATs that are three peaks rated. That's the better bet for upstate NY for sure.

BTW, KO2s are pretty heavy tires, too...that's going to affect fuel economy.
What about the General Grabber AT/X? I wanted to know if they’d fit in 275/55R20 without rubbing.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Limited
53 Posts
What about the General Grabber AT/X? I wanted to know if they’d fit in 275/55R20 without rubbing.
Don't have feedback on the AT/x, but any particular reason you were going for the LT rated? If it was just due to availability, you may want to reconsider, as the ride will be more rough, and you'll also have a slight hit to MPG/acceleration being heavier.

From a fitment standpoint, I'm running a 255/70R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3w, which, in comparison to the 275/50R20 you're considering, is a taller, narrower tire, and have had no issues with rubbing (except with the lower front fascia removed), whether on the OEM 18" wheels, or now with approximately 3/4" of reduced offset between Gladiator wheels and 1/4" spacers. Another thing for you to consider is your spare tire: mine fits in the spare wheel well fully inflated, but, due to it's width, doesn't allow the cover to seat flush (lifted slightly), where the size you're considering will likely be lifted further, with it being a wider tire than mine. Also, anecdotal evidence seems to support that, for most ice/slush/standing water conditions, narrower tires seem to excel over wider ones. Of course, YMMV. Best of luck with the tire search, and get some photos of the Jeep when you get it and new tires!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The aftermarket 20 in wheels the previous owner installed are not a good choice for any off roading in a WK, too little sidewall. AT tires on 20's is not great for the road either, as they are rougher, heavier, louder, worse handling/braking and mpg, and worse in the snow and rain than most All season tires. If you go offroad, I would get rid of the weakest link, sell those 20's and put on 17 or 18's. The tires are a lot cheaper in those sizes, and If you don't go offroad much, there is really no reason to get AT tires.

Reactions: philbytx

·
Registered
GC TH
553 Posts
18” WK2 wheels aren’t very expensive. As suggested, if you’re going to offroad, I’d get a set of those before buying tires.

Reactions: andrewsiff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
18” WK2 wheels aren’t very expensive. As suggested, if you’re going to offroad, I’d get a set of those before buying tires.
Can't find the original 18s anywhere that aren't "remanufactured," other than the mopar website where they're $650 each.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Lots and lots of folks use aftermarket wheels...they just have to be rated for the load requirement of the JGC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots and lots of folks use aftermarket wheels...they just have to be rated for the load requirement of the JGC.
Yea I looked into that, all the aftermarkets I've been able to find look so gaudy/flashy. Can't find anything that isn't OEM that looks normal, which is kinda disappointing.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
19 Posts
Sooo Related to wheels but not related.... I'm looking for a Nitto 420V --265/50/20.

I bought a set off Amazon in June and they have been great for me. Unfortunately, I recently got a nail in the corner sidewall of one of them. -- Now I need to replace a single tire and I cant seem to find them anywhere. I guess the 420V's were replaced with the 421Q's but still I cant seem to find a single tire anywhere -- any ideas?

I can get the 421Q but the tread pattern looks different and it will be an eyesore to me.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,835 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Overland.
192 Posts
Craigs list. Find some 18” Wrangler ones. I did for the winter set. Easily find those or stock GC ones for $200- $800.
as other mentioned- 20” isn’t the best for off road due to lack of sidewall. Keep those for summer.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
JGC
637 Posts
Go for the TH wheels listed with the GY Kelvar's for $700. I did the exact same thing 3 years ago and got $300 for the GY's so net for the wheels were $400.

Reactions: Tj13
1 - 16 of 16 Posts