Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my 2014 WK2 Limited transmission failed. 103,000 miles (165,000Km)... slipped into neutral...then 6 gear limp mode, was able to continue driving after a couple restarts,
dealer says oil full of metal shavings, needs a new transmission...maybe need to rethink getting another Jeep?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Today my 2014 WK2 Limited transmission failed. 103,000 miles (165,000Km)... slipped into neutral...then 6 gear limp mode, was able to continue driving after a couple restarts,
dealer says oil full of metal shavings, needs a new transmission...maybe need to rethink getting another Jeep?
Did you change tranny fluid at all,or did you check level before this happened??

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
163 Posts
Did you change tranny fluid at all,or did you check level before this happened??
Isn’t it “lifetime” fluid, so changing it isn’t really an option. I also heard it is close to 3k to change the fluid.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,346 Posts
Did they take it apart or drop the pan or are they just ASSUMING it's full of shavings, because my understanding it's not easy to even check the fluid levels without a special dipstick and calculations.

Isn’t it “lifetime” fluid, so changing it isn’t really an option. I also heard it is close to 3k to change the fluid.
They claim "lifetime" but no fluid is lifetime and $3k for a change? Maybe you should research instead of listening to everything on the interwebs LOL. It's pricey for a change because for one the fluid is pricey, then the labor is always costly, but NOT $3K. I believe it's around $3-500 tops.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nope, none of that required according to the dealer...
I am negotiating with them, this should never have happened...having said that I was a bit surprised (positively) they are only asking $CAD 4,300 for it so ~$US 3,200...
I am offering to pay nothing...

One other positive. It wasn't an "catastrophic" tranny failure, I made it to the dealer no problem.
I had trouble twice in the morning but always managed to continue after a couple engine restarts, dealer said to monitor... after the second day in a row I managed to drive to the dealer so here we go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nope, none of that required according to the dealer...
I am negotiating with them, this should never have happened...having said that I was a bit surprised (positively) they are only asking $CAD 4,300 for it so ~$US 3,200...
I am offering to pay nothing...

One other positive. It wasn't an "catastrophic" tranny failure, I made it to the dealer no problem.
I had trouble twice in the morning but always managed to continue after a couple engine restarts, dealer said to monitor... after the second day in a row I managed to drive to the dealer so here we go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its not lifetimei just wish that i changed it before,there was so much crap in there(filter)ZF kit 200 € ,pan & 7 l of ZF trann oil with new screws ...do it ,you will definetaly feel the difference..

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,823 Posts
What should of never happened is jeep calling it lifetime fluid. ZF the designer/manufacturer of that transmission recommends a fluid/filter change at 50-75k miles. The lifetime fluid bullshit thing is jeep marketing. For people that don't keep vehicles very long certainly don't waste money changing it, if you plan to keep it a long time change it. I did mine myself at 75k because I plan to keep the jeep at least to 150k.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What should of never happened is jeep calling it lifetime fluid. ZF the designer/manufacturer of that transmission recommends a fluid/filter change at 50-75k miles. The lifetime fluid bullshit thing is jeep marketing. For people that don't keep vehicles very long certainly don't waste money changing it, if you plan to keep it a long time change it. I did mine myself at 75k because I plan to keep the jeep at least to 150k.
I agree.
Overall this tranny has been a nightmare. All my previous transmissions just worked...this one is so high tech it never properly worked...bad shifts, wrong shifts, bad software, countless check engine...
I think the ZF design is OK but the software and US manufacturing may be just too much, over-complicated? But then I don't know, I am not a transmission expert.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
163 Posts
Its not lifetimei just wish that i changed it before,there was so much crap in there(filter)ZF kit 200 € ,pan & 7 l of ZF trann oil with new screws ...do it ,you will definetaly feel the difference..
Yea I know it’s just marketing, i remember reading a thread where it costed around 2.5k for the dealer to flush and change the fluid. Now that more issues are coming into light about the tranny, might just sell the car once maxcare expires.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I know it’s just marketing, i remember reading a thread where it costed around 2.5k for the dealer to flush and change the fluid. Now that more issues are coming into light about the tranny, might just sell the car once maxcare expires.
I tend to agree. Lets face it a lot of people lease a vehicle 4 years, all good. I never lease, I could but like to own and keep for longer...
Jeep just joined the chat: Don't own, rent only! :)

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,346 Posts
It does not cost $2.5-3k for a simple flush. Please quit posting false information.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Yes. But nowhere does FCA recommend that and ZF isn't backing ( Or Not backing..) the warranty. By and large this is a very good transmission with high levels of dependability and longevity, especially if you got the German built one. It can easily go 100K + on the original fluid with no issues. I've got 91K on mine and I really don't plan on changing it, as I'm not keeping it a whole lot longer, and I bet if sampled the original fluid still probably looks reasonably like new...

Failures like this are pretty rare in all reality....

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,823 Posts
Yes. But nowhere does FCA recommend that and ZF isn't backing ( Or Not backing..) the warranty. By and large this is a very good transmission with high levels of dependability and longevity, especially if you got the German built one. It can easily go 100K + on the original fluid with no issues. I've got 91K on mine and I really don't plan on changing it, as I'm not keeping it a whole lot longer, and I bet if sampled the original fluid still probably looks reasonably like new...

Yes as I said if you don't keep vehicles very long dont waste your money changing it, agree it should be fine for a 100k or so. But as I said if you keep it for the long term it should be changed, how will it be doing at 200k+ miles for the long term holders if the fluid has not been changed? Some maybe fine but failure rates are going to be way up as there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. Everyones situation is different and people can roll the dice however they decide but long term holders should change it.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,346 Posts
I bet if sampled the original fluid still probably looks reasonably like new...

There is a few posts/videos claiming otherwise about the fluid looking "new".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive flushed the fluid twice so far, around 100k km and now at 180k km... Both times it was very dark and definitely needed replacing..

I disconnect trans cooler line and start engine and pump fluid into a bucket and replace what came out...Each time 2-3L comes out, then u shut engine off..

It took 15L before fresh oil was coming out..

The special dipstick is around $15-20 and fluid cost me $120 for 20L...

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree.
Overall this tranny has been a nightmare. All my previous transmissions just worked...this one is so high tech it never properly worked...bad shifts, wrong shifts, bad software, countless check engine...
I think the ZF design is OK but the software and US manufacturing may be just too much, over-complicated? But then I don't know, I am not a transmission expert.
Which engine? The Chrysler built ZF for the V6 had more than its fair share of issues in the early (’14-‘15 models), but these were supposedly corrected through software updates.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,647 Posts
It is filled with lifetime fluid. It lasted the lifetime of your transmission which was 100k miles. Sorry, bad joke.

For those above, color does not indicate fluid condition, especially for a trans that does not have a filter.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts