I already hate the look without a black grill btw haha

·
Registered
340 Posts
mesh insert

·
Registered
77 Posts
i plasti-dipped mine and havent had a problem and love the look... also did a mesh insert after cutting the stock plastic out

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i plasti-dipped mine and havent had a problem and love the look... also did a mesh insert after cutting the stock plastic out
Really how did you do yours because I think after two car washes the left side of my grill started to fade... And does anybody seen the thread for the mesh insert?

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just followed the directions on the can... also did my rims too the same way

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just followed the directions on the can... also did my rims too the same way
I think I might go ahead and buy some again and try one last time instead of two coats maybe 4 is the way to go lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
yea i put quite a bit of coats on it... not sure how many but definately more than two. just make sure you clean the grill off really good so it has a nice clean surface to adhere to.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
should i use some windex or just some damp rag?

·
Premium Member
07 grand cherokee
2,903 Posts
buy a gloss black srt grille and be done with it. it will get rid of those slats, it really spruces up the front end.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
buy a gloss black srt grille and be done with it. it will get rid of those slats, it really spruces up the front end.
I was thinking of doing that but i havent seen anybody trying to sell one on here and i know for a fact they run a quick buck ... sadly i dont have the mula for that =/

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 coats of PD on your grille isn't enough. I use a whole can on my grille. More durable and easier to peal later.
Ill wait till i come back home next week so i could get a can and start on this project again.... i just dont like it looking fuzzy if you know what i mean... does it fade after a wash?

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My whole jeep is covered in PD. it doesn't fade. Just have to coat it well.
really? damn that is sick bruh... but yes i will deff need to do a couple of coats maybe youtube on HOW TO plasti dip grill

·
Registered
05 Jeep GC
6 Posts
4 coats will defenitly do it
I put 4 on my rims and they came out nice
I also use maguyers back to black polish incase i want to restore more deep black color

·
Registered
485 Posts
really? damn that is sick bruh... but yes i will deff need to do a couple of coats maybe youtube on HOW TO plasti dip grill
Yep I'd personally go with 5 coats on the grill...2 light coats of dusting them a tad heavier on the 3rd and heavier on the 4th and 5th to smooth out the texture left behind. Will be rock solid and easy to take off later if ever needed.

Lots of videos on youtube check out that dipyourcar channel on there he tells you what you need to do to clean it before also. But you could just use some rubbing alcohol and then wash it down real good before dipping it that way it will adhere properly. Also if you want to give it a bit of a glossy finish get a can of glossifier for it also from the same place and add on 2 coats of that (start with 1 coat let it dry properly see how you like it then add coats as you feel necessary).

Good luck keep us posted!

·
Registered
Laredo
300 Posts
i personally never plastidip anything! peels away and its just a ugly finish IMO, i wrap all my work!

·
Registered
Laredo
300 Posts
i am doing it right, i just dont like the finish of it and the corners or edges peel away, and the vinyl i use (3M) for me has looked better and done a cleaner job for me personally! this is my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts