Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I’m on the market to buy a camper trailer.
Please help me confirm the tow capacity of my Grand Cherokee 2019 v6 - LIMITED
I see 2 kinds of information online and dealership was not able to confirm either.
Is it 3,500lbs or 6,200lbs?

l see both of these numbers online.

The GWVR on the door sticker says 6,500lbs
It says max weight of cargo inside vehicle is 1,050lbs

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
If you have Factory Towing, then the 6200 lb limit applies. If you don't have Factory Towing...you're pretty much hosed for any kind of travel trailer than perhaps a pop-up tent type. Factory Towing isn't just a hitch receiver and wiring, it's also things in the cooling, suspension and electrical system.

Reactions: Guts and Arseni

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have Factory Towing, then the 6200 lb limit applies. If you don't have Factory Towing...you're pretty much hosed for any kind of travel trailer than perhaps a pop-up tent type. Factory Towing isn't just a hitch receiver and wiring, it's also things in the cooling, suspension and electrical system.
Jim, thanks!
And how can I find out if I have factory towing? Can I find out by vin number or should it be written somewhere?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that the same as tow group IV?

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
There would be a charge for it on your window sticker if it wasn't standard for your trim level. It will either be part of the Off Road Adventure package or stand alone as Trailer Tow Group IV for a MY19 Limited.

Reactions: Arseni

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can contact the dealership to see if your JGC has the factory tow package by supplying the VIN...

Mine did not have a factory tow package, therefore I had to get my computer flashed for the factory tow wiring and I installed a transmission cooler...

Always weigh the trailer you are towing at a CAT Scale (weigh scale at truck stops) to know the exact weight loaded with and without gear...

If pulling a travel trailer or anything above 5k, consider a weight distribution hitch and electric brake controller...

·
Registered
15 Posts
It appears you have the tow package... It depends on your engine size as well... I say still call the dealership to verify the towing capacity...

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
You have factory tow so your limit is 6200 ls / 620 lb tongue weight with the V6. Note that you must use a WDH for weights much north of north of 3500 lbs / 350 lbs tongue weight per Jeeps specifications. It’s not a good idea to “push the limits” and is a best practice to give yourself a little buffer between the limit and your actual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have factory tow so your limit is 6200 ls / 620 lb tongue weight with the V6. Note that you must use a WDH for weights much north of north of 3500 lbs / 350 lbs tongue weight per Jeeps specifications. It’s not a good idea to “push the limits” and is a best practice to give yourself a little buffer between the limit and your actual.
@Jim_in_PA
Thanks a bunch! So even though I have the package I should still look for trailers that weigh not more than 4,000lbs or so?
Do you have any recommendations on where I can learn about specific trailers that I can tow? My budget is $10k-15k

@homeskillet43
Thanks a bunch for your help on this!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh! I just googled WDH. It means a special type of a hitch.
so perhaps I could go up to 4,500lbs or so on trailer dry weight to give some extra cushion for cargo and water weight.
Assuming I will get WDH, which dry weight of a trailer would you not exceed?

again, thanks so much for your input and time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can tow upwards of 5k with 1k in the vehicle, don't exceed that and you will be below specs... Always scale the vehicle and trailer... Do not exceed tongue weight as well... The more you know the farther you go... Remember to use weight distribution beyond 3500... You can find trailers anywhere within those price ranges, from used (Facebook Marketplace) to brand new (google local trailer places)... Try not to go too long as well and consider the space after the trailer wheels as it kicks out during turns...

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
Also remember that tongue weight (including the weight of the WDH) is included in the vehicle cargo limit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, thank you so much! This is super useful. We have a newborn baby and fires all around us. So I want to get ready in case we need to evacuate.
Just one more question —

@Jim_in_PA
@zduntov
@homeskillet43
The WDH thing — I need to buy it and install right? Can I install it myself or I need to take it to shop? Do you have recommendations on which one to buy?

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
The WDH thing — I need to buy it and install right? Can I install it myself or I need to take it to shop? Do you have recommendations on which one to buy?
Installation is required on the trailer side, not the JGC side for a WDH in most situations. Whether it's user installable or not depends upon the trailer design and the particular WDH you choose. Your RV dealer will be a helpful resource when that time comes as they generally sell them at the same time as the trailer to folks who don't already have one to use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2015 JGC Laredo with a factory towing system and 6 cyl. I tow a two-axle 16 foot toy hauler that weighs in at 4800 pounds. When loaded we are running around 5800 to 6000. I have taken this all around the US and multiple trips over the Rockies and the Cascades. No issue at all towing. I do use a Weight Distribution Hitch. Even with the air adjust suspension, a WDH is a must. The air adjust suspension keeps the JGC beautifully level. They are easy to install and can be done in an hour or so by yourself.

Also, I don't know if the 2019 has a electronic brake controller installed. My 2015 did not and I had to add one in. You want a trailer that has electronic brakes. They make some nice lightweight trailers now. Most are single axle. The issue with a single axle is when you have a flat (you will), you do not have as much control over the trailer than a trailer with dual axles. But then, you will know when you do have a flat. With dual axles, it is less noticeable.

You can go longer than 16 feet (my total length with the tongue is 20', But the longer the heavier.

·
Super Moderator
8,953 Posts
Also, I don't know if the 2019 has a electronic brake controller installed.
There is no factory brake controller. The JGC owner much choose and buy one from the many available. Tekonshia P3 is one of the most popular and is reasonably priced. With Factory Towing, it's nearly plug and play to install, too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is another thing that FCA should consider. Add a electronic brake controller into the towing package. Other manufacturers do. When I added mine to my JGC, finding just the right spot was a bit of a pain.

One that could be in the dash, like Toyota, would be great.

The JGC is the best 6 cyl towing SUV on the market. That is why we bought it. FCA should capitalize on that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts