Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Jim, thanks!
And how can I find out if I have factory towing? Can I find out by vin number or should it be written somewhere?
Someone on one of these forums posted this link

It should work but anyway enter the vin and they will send you the build sheet for your jeep. I found mine interesting and they responded in like an hour or two.

Registered
If you have Factory Towing, then the 6200 lb limit applies. If you don't have Factory Towing...you're pretty much hosed for any kind of travel trailer than perhaps a pop-up tent type. Factory Towing isn't just a hitch receiver and wiring, it's also things in the cooling, suspension and electrical system.
I deeply admire your patience, Jim_in_PA! Have you broken 100 yet on how many times you've answered this same question? 馃槃

Registered
2014 JGC
I have a 3000# empty 21ft travel trailer that I tow with a 2014 v6 JGC. I'm still not in love with how it handles compared to our old Isuzu Trooper (I think I'm getting used to it though), but the power of the JGC with the 8-speed automatic is amazing. Before I bought it used two years ago, I read someone's comment that they didn't miss their v8...I can see why they would say that. Just thought I would comment on a few things people have said...

Not sure about other states, but my understand in the state of VA is that if the max weight of the trailer is over 2000#, it is required to have electric brakes. That's as much as I would want to tow without brakes anyway! In our Trooper I used a cheap timer-based brake control and it was OK, but I sprung for a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 proportional controller, and have used it for a while now, I would never go back...so much nicer, and worth every penny. There are probably proportional controllers that will work about as well for less money if you want to save a few bucks. I think even Tekonsha makes some lower end models.

As for mounting the brake controller, I pulled apart the console on mine and removed the flip-up door at the bottom of the console so it is permanently open so to speak, then drilled a hole in the back corner to run wires and attached it to the upper part of the console. With the Tekonsha P3, I bought a Jeep wiring harness and married the two together myself to get a little extra length...otherwise you can buy a custom harness that goes straight from the Jeep's connector to the P3's connector. I didn't destroy anything in the process, so in theory it should be possible to put the door back in the future if so desired.

I'm seeing people say over 3500# needing a weight distributing hitch, I would say even less than that would benefit from one. My 3000# trailer is (in my opinion) too heavy to tow without a WDH, especially as soft as the Jeep suspension is. It will also help it ride more smoothly too. Over a certain length, you will probably want a sway control on it too. I don't with mine, but at 21ft it seems to do pretty well without, though as noted, not as good as our old Trooper for whatever reason that I have not yet nailed down. Any good RV place should be able to help you sort out what you need and how to adjust and use it properly.

There was a note about flat tires - first thing is to make sure you keep them aired up, I always run my trailer tires at max inflation. Second is to replace them every 5-7 years. The vast majority of people will never wear the tread off their trailer tires, but they will dry rot and fail. I have also read commentary about some newer trailers that are running their tires right up against their max weight carrying capacity...just watch out for that angle too. A tire running at max load is a lot more likely to fail. I haven't had really any experience with trailer flats...only one I had go down on me was due to a valve stem failing, just felt like it was pulling hard (and the tires were less than 5 years old - crappy Chinese valve stems!). Dad was behind me and radioed up to let me know it was going down so I pulled over right away. Years ago, dad was towing their old 1971 Terry 18ft single-axle travel trailer and had a blowout on a very hot day, he said it handled much better than he had anticipated that it might. It was an old car tire...so age and heat did it in. He then put on good and proper trailer tires that could handle the weight well.

Wesley

Registered
The $795 "Trailer Tow Group IV" is the Factory Installed Towing Package. It provides the 6200 lb towing capacity for the 3.5L Grand Cherokee (or 7200 lb tow capacity for the 5.7L). Without the FACTORY INSTALLED components the Grand Cherokee is legally considered a 3500 lb (5000 lb 5.7L). tow vehicle. Installing components not on the factory build are MODIFICATIONS. A Grand Cherokee that has been owner or dealer modified becomes a modified vehicle carries no manufacturer and probably no insurance liability coverage if there is an incident...

Though Jim makes a very good recommendation that a WDH be used when towing over 3500 lbs., my 2017 owners manual says it's Recommended when towing over 5000 lbs.

Many states require trailer brakes when towing over 2000 lbs. State requirements vary.

Super Moderator
Though Jim makes a very good recommendation that a WDH be used when towing over 3500 lbs., my 2017 owners manual says it's Recommended when towing over 5000 lbs.
The majority of manual versions indicate WDH is required above 3500 lbs and I can tell you from personal experience (a major mistake on my part) that not using one before you get to 5K is very much an underwear replacement experience. The front end gets really light and steering/braking gets wonky.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Thank you everyone for your support. I feel more confident now to start looking for a trailer.
If anyone has their favorites that can be towed with JGC and include bathroom 鈥 please share here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Guys, thanks so much! I hope this will be useful to someone else besides me.

so, I鈥檓 looking at this trailer which I can buy for a pretty good price and it鈥檚 weight is within 5k lbs
Yes it鈥檚 probably on heavier side but doesn鈥檛 sound too bad.
however, 28ft 鈥 is that an issue?
Would you put a cap at a length of a trailer despite how light it may be?

heres the link to its specs

@Jim_in_PA
@homeskillet43
@KR Avcat
@wesf

Registered
That dry weight is 4800, but keep in mind that is the shipping weight, before any dealer added items... The tongue weight is 467, but that does not include your weight distribution hitch... All that to say, the overall length might not be a problem, but the weight is close to the max your vehicle can tow... Just scale everything before purchase... I would recommend something smaller and lighter for your maiden voyage...

Super Moderator
Going 鈥渓ong鈥, IMHO, is a big mistake with a short wheelbase tow vehicle like the JGC. There are forces beyond just weight that come into play and the RV is essentially a 鈥渟ail鈥 out on. The road. So choose carefully...

Reactions: Arseni

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Going 鈥渓ong鈥, IMHO, is a big mistake with a short wheelbase tow vehicle like the JGC. There are forces beyond just weight that come into play and the RV is essentially a 鈥渟ail鈥 out on. The road. So choose carefully...
what鈥檚 the max length you鈥檇 personally feel comfortable going with a car like mine? 20 feet? 24 feet?

Registered
Considering you are new to driving with a trailer, I would start off with a lighter and shorter trailer... My max towing capacity is 7200 with weight distribution... I am below the weight on the tongue and overall, and I have been towing over ten years... I worked my way up to this size trailer... This is where I max out with this Jeep...

Registered
You have to make that determination on size, and what makes you feel comfortable... I would say rent a 20' through RV Share and see if you feel comfortable...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts