Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,956 Posts
what’s the max length you’d personally feel comfortable going with a car like mine? 20 feet? 24 feet?
I'd stick in the lower to mid-20s and with a tandem axle if you can because those tend to be a little easier to balance due to common locations for water tanks, etc. And for the record, this same exact conversation happens in another forum I participate on for a similar sized vehicle with towing capacities similar to the JGC V6. Wheelbase really does matter when it comes to the effects of wind, etc.

Reactions: Arseni

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,937 Posts
dry weight on this also seems 4,700lbs or so at 27 feet?
So you think this is not too long or too heavy? The one I posted was kind of similar, no?
I borrowed my cousins 5000# 19 foot dual axle trailer (looked very much like what was pictured in this thread earlier), weight dist hitch. 2014 5.7 . I could hardly tell it was back there, towed like a dream, any speed, uphill or down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Considering you are new to driving with a trailer, I would start off with a lighter and shorter trailer... My max towing capacity is 7200 with weight distribution... I am below the weight on the tongue and overall, and I have been towing over ten years... I worked my way up to this size trailer... This is where I max out with this Jeep...
got it! Makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
Yes I definitely need to figure out a thing or two. I do own an open trailer to haul construction materials and such, but it’s 5x8’ :) but you learn quick, especially when you need to back up in front of 15 inpatient guys at a waste transfer station :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I borrowed my cousins 5000# 19 foot dual axle trailer (looked very much like what was pictured in this thread earlier), weight dist hitch. 2014 5.7 . I could hardly tell it was back there, towed like a dream, any speed, uphill or down.
yes I should probably start at around 20-22ft

·
Registered
2014 JGC
14 Posts
Yes I definitely need to figure out a thing or two. I do own an open trailer to haul construction materials and such, but it’s 5x8’ :) but you learn quick, especially when you need to back up in front of 15 inpatient guys at a waste transfer station :)
Believe it or not, it's actually easier (not counting visibility issues due to height and width) to back up a longer trailer...it's not as quick to turn, and a 5x8 will turn on you very quickly, as you well know. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Believe it or not, it's actually easier (not counting visibility issues due to height and width) to back up a longer trailer...it's not as quick to turn, and a 5x8 will turn on you very quickly, as you well know. :)
oh that’s nice to hear!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts