Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I tow a ~6,000 travel trailer with my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland v8. I am cautious to use the Tow/Haul button because it went into high RPMs. I can't remember how high it went, but I am not used to hearing the high RPMs. Is it expected to use this mode while driving at highway speeds? I typically drive 65 MPH and 70 while passing.

Is it safe to push the button to engage and disengage it while driving at 65 - 70 MPH? There are a few flat parts along the freeway between my house and the campsites I visit and I would think it's better to take it out of Tow/Haul mode, maybe?

Thanks,
Courtney

·
Registered
2014 Limited
599 Posts
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, push the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL mode. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. Right from Mopar!

Now for other reasons about 65 - 70 and engaging the button what it will do is limit gear changes to give more controlled throttle response so that is doesn’t flounder causing a transmission shift at it’s regularly programmed intervals. In layman’s terms. The only thing you may experience is an increase/decrease in rpm’s until the vehicle settles in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, that read doesn't clarify if I'm expected to enable it at highway speeds while towing and no harm will be done. Everything seems like a hill while towing 5540 lbs.

If it's enabled and I'm in the passing lane is it ok to hit around 4000 RPM to finish the pass?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
To me, that read doesn't clarify if I'm expected to enable it at highway speeds while towing and no harm will be done. Everything seems like a hill while towing 5540 lbs.

If it's enabled and I'm in the passing lane is it ok to hit around 4000 RPM to finish the pass?
You can engage and disengage it anytime at any speed. Yes, it's ok to hit 4000 to finish a pass.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
I know I'm only a 3.6 but when towing I've consistently run 4k revs during slight inclines. You paid for the whole tach - USE IT! :LOL:

·
Registered
798 Posts
I tow a 6500# enclosed v-nose car trailer with my 15 hemi. Don't have tow/haul mode but do have paddle shifters. When towing 65-75, I never let the rpms drop below 2500 or it just won't maintain speed, and it needs every bit of 4000+ rpms to pull many of the interstate PA mountains I drive through. Compared to my '14 ecodiesel, the hemi just can't pull as well.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
When I tow I put the transmission in D, set the cruise control and don't have any problems maintaining speed even on the steepest highways. Based on how it performs it even seems that the programming figures out when it's been "hunting" and stops doing it. The 5.7 isn't a low speed torquer so it stays up in the rpm band.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm reporting back that my engine seemed much happier with tow haul mode engaged while towing my trailer this past week. Kept it engaged the entire 2.5 hour trip down to the Ozark mountains via interstate and county roads and it was a much smoother driving experience. I feel dumb not using it before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I towed a 4600# travel trailer back from San Diego to Seattle via the coast in a 2011 Hemi V8. In Northern CA, I had forgotten to engage Tow/Haul mode after a fuel stop and at the top of a grade got a Check Engine light. Pulled over and used DiagFCA to find the light was for trans over-temp…cleared code and it never came back.

Moral of the story: use Tow/Haul mode when towing. Don’t worry about the RPM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts