Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,822 Posts
Here's what my 2014 owners manual, latest revision I have, says about when you should not use 4WD LO... it's for loose, slippery road surfaces only.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Circle Writing

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,822 Posts
Now I'm confused, I can see my own experience is just I missing the wheels slipping off road in 4 LOW. But MacDaddy swears he's driven on dry pavement in 4 LOW, turning with no binding or difficulties. Something wrong with his transfer case?

The MP3023 Transfer Case directly drives the rear drivetrain, there is no differential between the rear output and main shaft. The Clutch Pack is just engaging to transfer power to the front drivetrain. So no matter what happens to the front drivetrain, you will have power to the rear wheels, whether pull a fuse or not. Of course things wrong with the front drivetrain could cause more damage to the front drivetrain as you drive. So totally circumstances dependent on if you can drive or not with certain drivetrain failures, BUT, the rear wheels will always be driven regardless (unless of course the failure is the transfer case to the rear output).

Jeep did not design the MP3023 transfer case, Magna Powertrain did. Magna Powertrain designed the Transfer Case to run RWD. But it needs a discrete signal on one circuit at a specific voltage to set RWD mode. Pulling the fuse might not provide that, as well for all modes besides RWD, the computer has to actively manage the clutch pack, RWD mode simply provides zero pressure to the clutch pack. So in theory, as long as you have no pressure on the clutch pack you are in RWD mode, of course in practice can be different. Someone is going to have to risk it and see, if we are to ever get the answer.

I searched my 2011 O.M., there is nothing about this at all in the 2011 O.M. It does say 4 LOW does lock front and rear driveshafts together. Nothing about on for loose surfaces or NOT use on dry pavement, etc.....
Look again, or perhaps there is more than one version... This is what I see for the 2011 manual

Font Digital camera Cameras & optics Gadget Camera

1 - 2 of 2 Posts