Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Limited
431 Posts
As I @DoMyOwnRacin mentioned above the mode select will disable some of traction controls and put your QL in different ride height’s. You don’t have front lockers and may not even have the rear ELSD. If you get the little idiot light on the dash when it’s engaged into 4 lol than you have it. No big deal, if you do or not 4lo will work fine if it’s jaunt’s round the yard and leaving it in auto to allow the traction control system to do it’s job. And the WK2’s are a completely different animal than previous models when it comes to the drivetrain. I always here, “Be careful in 4lo on dry ground”, in an older model with a straight axle, or a different traction distribution system, that holds some weight, but with today’s WK2’s the computer takes care of any “binding” that most people are referring to when they mention that. 4lo can be utilized on dry surfaces (sand is dry) under instances of traction loss, like climbing Lion’s back in Moab etc....It will shoot the rpms up because it changes the final drive ratio and that’s about the only reason today that you wouldn’t use it as a driving speed option.

I couldn’t get my Power Wagon out the driveway in 4lo without enough snow on the road to allow slippage to occur, If you want to experience binding try it with a 21ft truck on 37’s with 4:56’s, that’ll rattle your teeth out, lol.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
431 Posts
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Sky Vehicle registration plate Wheel
We have both a 2014 WK2 Limited and a 2019 4 Runner TRD Off Road Premium. the WK2’s open diff is a great road driving system. I have also driven it in 4 Lo on the street to appease all you experts out there about it binding and that’s just false. I have owned more Jeeps in every configuration than I care to mention. I am a certified Car nut and from learning to drive on 67 Camaro with a built 327 and 4 speed at the age of 14 I became hooked. I built late 60’s early 70’s Muscle, Owned Over 10 4wd vehicle’s and even a new Gen Camaro and Mustang. So I tend to not only buy and drive, I build and sell. But it’s always been Jeep to bring me back. As @DriveAbout mentioned above the WK2’s even in 4 Lo allow for rotational tire speed differences as the are OPEN diffs whether or not you “lock” the transfer case into 4 Lo.
On our 4Runner Off Road there is an actual transfer case lever, with a rear honest to goodness electronic locker. It is by no means as nice on the road as out GC, but off road it’s right up there with the best of them period.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
431 Posts
Yep, @Mongo53 like I said between the open diff’s the clutch packs and the torque distribution WK2’s are one of the easiest user friendly and proven systems on the market. For the everyday driver to advanced off roader, Jeep rocks. They still need to go back to a complete live axle suspension front and rear with some high pinion 60’s front and rear, boy oh boy now we’re talking.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
431 Posts
I hear you on all of that, I remember when Jeep had a warning label that stated, Caution this vehicle’s primary purpose is for off road use. It drives and handles differently from regular vehicles. Abrupt quick turns may result in a rollover and injury. Now I’ll tell you this I can’t remember what Jeep it was whether my Brother’s 79 CJ7 or my one of my 4 previous Wrangler’s. But I remember it right there on the Driver’s visor. So maybe if more of these “Consumer’s” that buy them thinking that there getting a cool mall crawler actually knew what the primary function was designed for and how much they have evolved maybe they’d educate themselves a little better.
I’d love to see them try to drive a CJ5 with a carbureted 304 on some off camber’s especially when the bowl empties and it stalls on a hill.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
431 Posts
I thought that most of this covered with the open dif, torque splits, brake force distribution .. a clutch packs allowing/disallowing engagement of drive wheels was a known fact, but I digress. Hat’s off to @Tyler-98-W68 for posting that. And I think it’s a toss up between Subaru and Audi between the best AWD system. (let’s see where this goes)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts