Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.0, limited edition. The door sticker states 6150lbs gvwr. (Seeing some posts claim 7200lbs though?)

How do I know if I have a tow package?
Did some models from that year, *not* come with a tow package?
What is included in a tow package?

If I don't have one, then would towing about 5000lbs be out of the question?

I don't have the tow button on my dash (does anyone?) and the previous owner installed a hitch.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello CanadianJeeper,I also have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and love it. As usual, the tow package was an option for the 2008's, and I chose this option. It was only a $255 adder for my build because my build also included the diesel 3.0 CRD ($3,700 adder) and the QuadraDrive II 4x4 Group ($795 adder). The diesel option also gets you the 3.73 gear ratio axle and 5 speed transmission, but not the same 5-speed transmission as the 4.7L and 5.7L. From the manual:The 3.0- liter CRD engine is mated to the W5J400 five-speed automatic transmission. The 4.7-liter V-8 and the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engines are mated to the 545RFE five-speed automatic transmission. The W5J400 and the W5A580 have been refined for higher-quality shifts while giving Grand Cherokee class-leading towing capacity of 7,400.On vehicles equipped with 4.7L or 5.7L engines, use of ERS (or Tow/Haul mode) also enables a additional underdrive gear which is not normally used during through-gear accelerations. This additional grade improves vehicle performance and cooling capability when towing a trailer on certain grades. In ERS mode (on all transmissions), 1st through 3rd gear are underdrive gears and 4th gear is direct drive. ERS 5th gear (Overdrive) is the same as the normal 4th gear.I do not have a TOW/HAUL mode button. I think the TOW/HAUL button was only for the 4.7L and 5.7L engines and it prevents frequent downshifting by disabling the overdrive gear under most driving conditions. I will double check this evening and also look and see what my sticker on the drive door says about GVWR. Be careful because the GVWR only pertains to total permissible weight of your vehicle including driver. You are probably interested in the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) which I don't think is included on the sticker.From the manual:Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)The GVWR is the total permissible weight of your vehicle including driver, passengers, vehicle, options, trailer tongue weight, and cargo. The label also specifies maximum capacities of front and rear axle systems (GAWR).Total load must be limited so GVWR and front and rear GAWR are not exceeded.If you have the diesel, then you can assume you have the beefed up drivetrain.The manual states that the 2WD diesels are rated for 7400 lbs. max trailer weight and the 4WD diesels are rated at 7200 lbs. maximum trailer weight. These values are the same for the 5.7L engine. I would guess that 5000 pounds should be no problem for your diesel, but you should be sure to understand how weight distribution is very important and use the proper setup. The 3.0 CRD 4x4 are rated for a max tongue weight of 720 lbs. You also have to consider having good tires and Weight Distributing Hitch setup. From the manual:Maximum Trailer Weight = GCWR - Curb Wt. - 150 lbs. (allowance for driver) and must be decreased by the weight of optional equipment, trailer hitch, cargo and passengers. Maximum trailer weights shown are rounded to the nearest 50 lbs. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of loaded trailer weight but may not cause vehicle to exceed GVWR or GAWR. Load equalizing hitch recommended for trailers over 2,000 pounds.The only thing really noticeable on my vehicle is the frame mounted trailer hitch (Class IV - Extra Heavy Duty). The Trailer Tow Group, Class IV option includes: Frame-mounted hitch receiver with cover and wiring connector with adapter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry for my one big paragraph above... I had it nicely formatted into about 7 paragraphs, but when I hit submit reply, it combined everything into one giant blob. None of the editing tools such as font color, underline and bold work either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. However, my question is simply:

How do I know if I have a tow package? (I don't have a cut out in the bumper, a hitch was installed underneath the bumper) Manual states 7,200lbs, but does NOT mention if this is with or without the tow package.

And if not, what is included in one? Oil cooler? Transmission cooler? Or did all models have that? What else *on* (already have a WD hitch/sway bar) the vehicle would be a good idea to include for towing?

I did do more research after posting this and now understand gvwr vs gtw, so I'm good with that :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts