• Eco Off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Please move this if there is a better section to have this discussion as I wasnt 100% sure where it would fit the best (if i overlooked a towing section my bad)

I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer on this with regards to the gas engine on a base model.

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 3.6. Nothing fancy, no active air suspension.

My question is, should I pull my 3,000lb dry weight travel trailer with in drive with the eco mode turned off OR put it into sport mode?

My thought is that putting the old girl (99,760 miles currently) in sport mode will allow a higher rev prior to shifting as well as keeping the vehicle in a lower gear at highway speeds and it seems to downshift a lot sooner while slowing down probably keeping better control of the trailer.

Does anyone tow a similar amount of weight or more with the same set up? What are your thoughts? Picking up my trailer in a few days..

p.s. I have an airlift 1000 system ready to be installed, have already hooked up a brake controller and plan on a transmission cooler as well. Any advice on that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,356 Posts
You're best bet is in drive with eco off. The ZF8 has around 40 shift maps that are selected based on driving style, engine load, and drive mode. When in drive with the cargo area loaded or towing a heavy load the transmission will respond accordingly.

I do put it in sport mode when descending a steep grade while towing as it will hold a higher gear.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I pull a couple jet skis throughout the summer and it is the only time I actually use SPORT mode. Always seems to find the right gear especially in hilly areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts