Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First tow with my 2014 Overland and wow! The 8spd works like a cham with a loaded trailer.

Here's a pic:
ForumRunner_20131014_164130.jpg

Boat and trailer are approximately 4000 pounds together. I have towed this boat with a few truck and this time was the most comfortable.

Wasn't sure the 8speed was a good move from Jeep but It is!

·
Registered
Overland
88 Posts
Good to know. I'll be going on a hunting trip in a couple of weeks. I'll have a full truck and be pulling a trailer. Looking forward to a good ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
First tow with my 2014 Overland and wow! The 8spd works like a cham with a loaded trailer.

Here's a pic:
View attachment 30277

Boat and trailer are approximately 4000 pounds together. I have towed this boat with a few truck and this time was the most comfortable.

Wasn't sure the 8speed was a good move from Jeep but It is!
Please report back with your gas mileage. I'm curious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I usually get around 21Mpg without trailer, got around 18 with trailer only (800pounds) and 15-16 with the boat.

That is not on a flat road...lots off hill and stops
Not bad. You are talking higher than standard gas mileage on some older Jeeps while towing with your new one. Impressed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2014 V6 Limited. Towed our 2850# fiberglass camping trailer 500 miles on mostly two lane (50 mph speed limit roads), mostly with the cruise control set on 57 mph. Got 17.6 (EVIC) mpg over the round trip so probably really 16ish.

In non-towing regular driving, lots of 75 mph freeway travel, I get 23 to 25 mph per EVIC. The few tanks I have calculated manually have been 0.5 to 1.5 mpg lower than the EVIC.

I'm very surprised a vehicle this large, heavy and powerful can get such exceptional mileage. It's better than my old 2007 V6 RAV4 which was 1200 # lighter.

Leaving tomorrow on a 1000 mile trip to Alabama towing the trailer. I'll report back in a few days.

The Jeep pulled just fine.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
My 2014 Overland V6 gets around 13mpg doing 70 - 75mph pulling my very large 4up ATV trailer which weighs around 4300lbs fully loaded. Pulls great pretty much stays in 6th gear.

·
Registered
514 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup: to this thread. Going to be towing our race car up to the track for the first time with the Jeep next week (except I have the hemi). I figure its about about 5000lbs total between uhaul trailer, car, gear. I am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Leaving tomorrow on a 1000 mile trip to Alabama towing the trailer. I'll report back in a few days.

The Jeep pulled just fine.
Trip to AL was 964 miles, nearly all freeway. CC set on 65 the whole way. Not much wind. Three refuel stops. Got 17.3 mpg per EVIC, 15.9 mpg hand calculated.

·
Registered
Overland
88 Posts
Just got back from a 1600 mile trip. 4 adults and a 5x8 U-Haul about 25% full. Mostly interstate with speeds between (72-80). Calculated mileage at near 13.

Attached is a pic when I took the trailer off to drive around the land we were hunting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Just got back from a 1600 mile trip. 4 adults and a 5x8 U-Haul about 25% full. Mostly interstate with speeds between (72-80). Calculated mileage at near 13.

Attached is a pic when I took the trailer off to drive around the land we were hunting.
is that a jeep under that mud? :lol:

·
Registered
Overland
88 Posts
I went to the local self serve car wash. $25 later and I finally have a "clean" truck back. Not perfect but I'm comfortable for now. The mud stuck to the wheel wells and body like concrete. The truck has to be 25 lbs lighter too! Interior wasn't much cleaner. I'm off on another excursion this week. Next week I'll take and get the interior detailed and take care of the exterior on my own....if the weather holds out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Couple of quick shots from me. Car and trailer clocked in at about 5k (2200 for trailer, guesstimating 2300 - 2400 for car). Car runs in the 24hrs of LeMons series for anybody wondering WTH we'd put Zima on it. :lol:

I have the hemi, it pulled great, even passed a Volvo who couldn't decide if they wanted to do 35 or 50 (in a 55) going up hill with power to spare. I was aware the car was back there but the truck felt comfortable the entire time.

... and a slightly smaller tow, probably about 2k on this. Couldnt even tell it was back there.

I am planning to buy a travel trailer this spring, something small in the 3500 - 5000lb range I think will be perfect given my existing towing experience with this truck.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
22 Posts
Coolspot, your boat looks like a Regal 1900, am I correct? I have a 2006 Regal 1900 myself, Yellow over Black stripe. I just jot my Jeep GC, but went with the Hemi-V8 to tow with. I debated the V6, but sometimes I go on long towing trips, and I didn't want the engine to struggle, that's why I opted for the V8. Anyway, nice looking rig and set-up you have. If you do have a Regal, what engine is in your boat? I have the 4.3L V6 EFI (GM engine), and my boat tops out at 61mph on the water.

-Eric

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coolspot, your boat looks like a Regal 1900, am I correct? I have a 2006 Regal 1900 myself, Yellow over Black stripe. I just jot my Jeep GC, but went with the Hemi-V8 to tow with. I debated the V6, but sometimes I go on long towing trips, and I didn't want the engine to struggle, that's why I opted for the V8. Anyway, nice looking rig and set-up you have. If you do have a Regal, what engine is in your boat? I have the 4.3L V6 EFI (GM engine), and my boat tops out at 61mph on the water.

-Eric
Hi Eric, yep you are right, 2007 Regal 1900 with Volvo 4.3 carbureted, Chevy block like yours but no fuel injection. With the 190hp it produces it tops at about 50mph.

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee Summit
88 Posts
I'm glad I found this. I bought my 2015 Summit to tow a 22 foot travel trailer that I plan to get. I'm hope to stay under the 4000 lb range and around 5000 fully loaded.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,508 Posts
The post is from 2013. Chances of that happening are very slim at this point. o_O

·
Registered
1 Posts
This past weekend I pulled a 2011 SeaRay Sundeck 240 (~4800 lbs before trailer, dry - the tank was full) with my 2017 V6 JGC Overland from Huntsville Alabama to Charlotte, NC- 12 MPG average. Felt reasonably safe, went through three torrential downpours/thunderstorms and drove using my gears/brakes - no issues and pulled hard. Trans Temp did increase to 220 degrees when pulling up a mtn near Chattanooga, but otherwise was great. Wouldn't make a habit of pulling that far, but less than 50 miles, great option for a boat+trailer around 5500-6000 lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts