Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello crew! My name is Jay, and I have a question about tpm sensors. I bought 4 tires that came off of a 2017 JGC Limited, and I put them on my 2015 JGC 2015, the tpm sensors are not working on my jeep. Is there a way to reset them to make them work with my 2015 GC?

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
Hello crew! My name is Jay, and I have a question about tpm sensors. I bought 4 tires that came off of a 2017 JGC Limited, and I put them on my 2015 JGC 2015, the tpm sensors are not working on my jeep. Is there a way to reset them to make them work with my 2015 GC?
I have a 2008 JKU and bought some 2019 tires and wheels, my TPMS light stayed on and did some research and found out they changed the frequency on the newer models. So if they did it on the JK's i'm sure Chrysler did it on all the Jeeps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think so. Sensors changed beginning with the 2016 model year. Unless you have a very late 2015 manufacture date you're gong to have to source new sensors. Been there, done that with my current 2015.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
Yep, in 2016 M/Y they changed TPMS sensors with a different frequency, there is no way to get before/after 2016 TPMS sensors to work with TPMS systems opposite the cut-off....

You can get pre-programmed for you vehicle TPMS sensors at RockAuto much, much cheaper than the Dealership, like a set of 4 for the same price the Dealer charges for 1......

eBay even cheaper, but be careful, I got ripped off on TPMS sensors from eBay, read the auction very, very carefully.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
You'll still have to pay a tire shop a lot to install them, because it requires unmounting the tires, re-mounting and balancing them again.....

Shop around, some of the newer tire mounting machine have TPMS mounting attachments, that allows them to break the bead on side only, and hold the side of the tire pressed down to just change out the TPMS sensor / Valve Stem, in theory if the new TPMS sensor is the same weight/CG, you wouldn't need to balance it either... ....so there may be a shop in your town that will swap TPMS sensors much cheaper and faster than the others.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, in 2016 M/Y they changed TPMS sensors with a different frequency, there is no way to get before/after 2016 TPMS sensors to work with TPMS systems opposite the cut-off....

You can get pre-programmed for you vehicle TPMS sensors at RockAuto much, much cheaper than the Dealership, like a set of 4 for the same price the Dealer charges for 1......

eBay even cheaper, but be careful, I got ripped off on TPMS sensors from eBay, read the auction very, very carefully.
Great info...really appreciate your help

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
9 Posts
I had the similar case in Germany and solved it very easy. I bought new ventiles and just programed them alone with a special tool, which took me ca. 5 sec. per tyre. I got the HEX ID on each tyre and now I do not have problems anymore.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
I had the similar case in Germany and solved it very easy. I bought new ventiles and just programed them alone with a special tool, which took me ca. 5 sec. per tyre. I got the HEX ID on each tyre and now I do not have problems anymore.
Not really relevant....
So there is no confusion.....
In 2016 M/Y the WK2 switched to a different TPMS sensor that utilizes a different frequency, there is no way to reprogram it for earlier WK2's, it transmits on the wrong frequency, you can't change that......

FCA TPMS systems need no special tools to register/program sensors to the vehicle........ ....simple install them and drive.... ...as long as they are the correct sensors for your M/Y, they will register in a few feet to a few miles of driving....
Some vehicles do require special tools to register the TPMS sensors to the vehicle, and some even a 2nd special tool to stimulate the sensor to wake up and communicate with the TPMS system during the process....

Yes, TPMS sensors run a program, but you can order them pre-programmed to work with your vehicle (this is different than registering sensors to the TPMS system, that people incorrectly call programming them)... ....only tire shops stock blank sensors and pay for the special tool that programs the actual sensor to work with a particular vehicle..... ....this way they can stock a dozen different sensors, but use them on hundreds of different cars that come into the shop.....

If you're DIY, order the sensor pre-programmed for you, it will cost the same as blank sensor, so why in the world would you spend tons of money on a special tool to program the blank sensor yourself? That is different than owning a car that needs special tools to register new TPMS sensors to the TPMS system, and you get one that does more than just register TPMS sensor to the TPMS system.... ...the WK2, you won't need any special tools, just install them and drive, other cars might need a special tool to register the new sensor to the TPMS system....

My daughter's Nissan Altima needed new TPMS sensors. It needs a special tool to register the new sensors to the TPMS system and a 2nd tool that you place next to each sensor in a certain order to wake up the sensor and have it communicate with the system. Then I find on youtube, all you have to do is set the tire pressures to specific pressures according to the tire's position and then connect a wire/paper clip to the connector for the special tool and ground the wire to the chassis in 5 pulses. Take the vehicle for a drive and it registers the sensors, then you can inflate your tires back to the proper pressures.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
9 Posts
I did it because I got the special programming tool free of Charge from the guy, who slod me the blank, but wrong programmed valves (for SRT unfortunately). He sent per DHL the tool, I programmed them, because I needed new for my winter tyres and after finishing the programmig I sent it back to him at his costs. I never said that I spend money or invested, except for the blank valves, which were at a half price compared tot he original ones.
Nevertheless I appreciate your post to me, as it was the first one in this forum. I drive the WK2 diesel 3,0L version in Germany, but plan to move back to my home country Bulgaria, so I want to complete such a mess with the valves, before I go home. The maintenance in Bulgaria with Jeep is poor, yesterday they prononced that the current dealer stopped to support for Jeep and now it is Mitsubishi....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
But you can see how someone might get the impression from your post they could buy a tool and make a U.S. 2017 sensor work with their U.S. 2015 WK2? They'd spend the money just to learn they wasted the money and they can't reprogram the sensor to work..... ....what you did, sounds like what the Tire Shops do, they have a sensor that can work with dozens of different vehicles, it just has to be programmed with the proper software to work with a particular vehicle....

There's a lot of confusion over programming TPMS I took the opportunity to explain it.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
9 Posts
Yes,that is right. It is a lot of confusion and I personally took a lot of time until I made this step. You just can buy them programmed and install them. I had a bad luck to get them for the wrong model,but the seller was kind and helped me by sending me the tool with complete explanations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts