Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep grand cherokee
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and recently changed my winter tires to summer tires. I've had summer tires for second year and when I put on tires this year TPMS light came on as soon as I drove down the street. I filled all tires to appropriate pressure but light stayed on indicating TPMS needs service. Note that all tires read the appropriate inflation level but still had error code blinking everytime I started my truck. Had town fair tire attempt to diagnose problem and they could not saying it may be a a bad sensor. Well I decided to wait before I brought to dealer knowing they are going to charge crazy money to fix. Well today, 2 weeks after the issue happened, I started my truck up and like magic TPMS light went off. I'm happy it did but caused me stress thinking about getting it fixed..so if this happens to you just wait awhile, at least couple of weeks before paying tip off dealer to fix.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
I own 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and recently changed my winter tires to summer tires. I've had summer tires for second year and when I put on tires this year TPMS light came on as soon as I drove down the street. I filled all tires to appropriate pressure but light stayed on indicating TPMS needs service. Note that all tires read the appropriate inflation level but still had error code blinking everytime I started my truck. Had town fair tire attempt to diagnose problem and they could not saying it may be a a bad sensor. Well I decided to wait before I brought to dealer knowing they are going to charge crazy money to fix. Well today, 2 weeks after the issue happened, I started my truck up and like magic TPMS light went off. I'm happy it did but caused me stress thinking about getting it fixed..so if this happens to you just wait awhile, at least couple of weeks before paying tip off dealer to fix.
Depending on how old your tires are [actually the valve stems] it could be you have a weak one or two. But it also just could be one of the sensors is starting to flake out.

Other than needing to unmount the tire, the TPMS sensors or rebuild kits for them are quite inexpensive from tire stores, online, etc. These are OEM ones, and non-OEM aftermarkets are even cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
TPMS "should" reset automajically after just a few miles of driving....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
I have replaced all 4 TPMS sensors on my 2011 WK2, the new sensors were recognized within a few minutes of idling the motor and driving only a couple of hundred feet out of the Auto Hobby Shop parking lot.

Well, in my case 3 or the 4. One did reported zero pressure for more than a hundred miles of driving. I deflated the tire to less than 20 psi and then reflated it to the desired pressure and it worked just fine from there on out.

They say deflating to less than 20psi and reinflating resets the sensors. I suspect in my case I got soapy water in the sensor from lubricating the bead of the tire during mounting. Deflating and reinflating the tire, the rush of air out and back in, cleared the water out of the sensor.

Moisture, dirt and contaminants can get in the sensor and cause it to fail. The battery can go dead. They can simply fail. The battery's are suppose to last around 8 years, give or take.

I got pre-programmed sensors from RockAuto.com for $32 a piece. I was putting on new tires and the vehicle was 7 years old. I figured it was

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
You can get an entire set for like $50 on ebay..Pre-programmed? They program themselves
No they do NOT program themselves. The vehicle won't recognize them immediately, it may take a few seconds to a few miles of driving before the vehicle recognizes it and registers the sensor and starts using them, that is NOT the sensor programming itself, its the system on the vehicle registering the ID of the sensor and start using it.

Some of the earliest sensors might have the same programming, now they have one sensor for dozens of different applications and they are programmed for the particular system on the vehicle. Your local tire store only has to stock 3 or 4 types of sensor, someone needs a new one, they pull out the expensive tool and program it for the specific vehicle. Or you can purchase them pre-programmed for you specific vehicle.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
I just installed a set of rims/tires that my buddy had on his 2014 Jeep on my 2017 jeep. I thought everything was fine since the pressures were on and then I almost got to work and got the TPMS Service flashing on the screen and all the pressures showing -- in red. I get new tires put in either today or tomorrow so I'm hoping this goes away.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
So looking up something that has caught me odd. They changed the TPMS sensors in the 2016 and newer jeeps to 68313387AB instead of the old sensors. So looks like I might just have to buy new sensors :(

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
Update: I originally ordered them fro $27.99 each from a place in MN that added $20 for shipping. Just cancelled this morning and ordered from Amazon for $19.99 each with free shipping, no tax. $80 compared to $130 is good with me!

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
123 Posts
I bought a new set of tires and I had TPMS issues immediately after the shop install the tires. Brought it back to the tire shop and they tested everything and said the sensors were fine. The next time I brought it into the dealer, they said the controller was bad, and wanted $500 to replace a new one. Guess what? I just ignore the issue. But I know the tire shop messed something up

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
I bought a new set of tires and I had TPMS issues immediately after the shop install the tires. Brought it back to the tire shop and they tested everything and said the sensors were fine. The next time I brought it into the dealer, they said the controller was bad, and wanted $500 to replace a new one. Guess what? I just ignore the issue. But I know the tire shop messed something up
What could the tire shop mess up? Especially with the controller? Its possible to damage the sensors when they changed the tires, if you didn't get new sensors, they wouldn't have touched anything with the TMPS. The chances they damaged all 4 sensors is pretty slim, perhaps they were sloppy with the soapy water to lube the bead for mounting and got water in the sensors?

Deflating the tires and reinflating them with dry air can get moisture out of the tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 2015 Summit Ecodiesel and traded for a 2018 Summit 6 cyl. Long story short, huge TPMS issues. I had snows from my 2015 installed onto the stock rims with no issues for 2500 kms. I had 4 aftermarket spider monkey SRT rims that I used with Yoko 295/45/20 tires on my 2015. I saved them and installed them on my 2018. That’s when the fun started. I established that the 2015 sensors are not compatible on 2016 on up systems. So, I went to my tire shop and decided to buy 4 new Yoko tires and new aftermarket sensors. Got it all done and still no monitoring. The tire shop then decided to use factory OEM sensors ordered by VIN. These are now installed and not working either. The low pressure light is not illuminated but there are 4 red tires with - - showing on the display. The tire place is at a loss and drove the car to a local dealer who say it’s likely a wiring issue. I took delivery in February and it has 3000 kms. I’m ready to get rid of it. Additionally the mileage is terrible. I should have ordered the hemi.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
I had a 2015 Summit Ecodiesel and traded for a 2018 Summit 6 cyl. Long story short, huge TPMS issues. I had snows from my 2015 installed onto the stock rims with no issues for 2500 kms. I had 4 aftermarket spider monkey SRT rims that I used with Yoko 295/45/20 tires on my 2015. I saved them and installed them on my 2018. That’s when the fun started. I established that the 2015 sensors are not compatible on 2016 on up systems. So, I went to my tire shop and decided to buy 4 new Yoko tires and new aftermarket sensors. Got it all done and still no monitoring. The tire shop then decided to use factory OEM sensors ordered by VIN. These are now installed and not working either. The low pressure light is not illuminated but there are 4 red tires with - - showing on the display. The tire place is at a loss and drove the car to a local dealer who say it’s likely a wiring issue. I took delivery in February and it has 3000 kms. I’m ready to get rid of it. Additionally the mileage is terrible. I should have ordered the hemi.
The central TPMS unit should produce diagnostic codes it stores for the malfunctions. So a huge part of fixing this is too read the diagnostics codes. The dealership should be able to do this, and have a troubleshooting guide to follow with the diagnostics.

Sorry, the TPMS diagnostics codes are part of the manufacturer's extended codes and diagnostics that are kept proprietary. You average cheap OBDII scanner will not show any codes for TPMS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts