Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
High Altitude
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a cheap price to find oem mopar sensors for my new set of wheels? Dealer wants 92 a pop

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
$32.89 at the following link.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ressure+monitoring+system+(tpms)+sensor,12036

Yes, its aftermarket, but it appears to be the same exactly as the OEM sensor. The link is for a 2011, so if yours is different you might want to back out and find the product for your model year.

They are pre-programmed for the JGC, I just changed mine and three worked perfectly recognized within seconds of starting driving. The fourth didn't work, I'm convinced I got water in the sensor while changing the tires. I deflated the tire to 10 PSI and re-inflated it and it worked right away. They say deflating the pressure below 20 PSI resets the sensor, but I think the rush of air out and new air in, dried out the water I got in the sensor, regardless it worked and is working fine now.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Anyone have a cheap price to find oem mopar sensors for my new set of wheels? Dealer wants 92 a pop
If you have a local Discount Tire, check with them. They carry OEM sensors and sensor kits. UNK if they sell them minus wheels or tires.

The various online dealers [google online mopar parts] may have them as well a bit cheaper.

Depending on your model year, on some older models you might need to program them for your vehicle. On anything newer, they do it themselves after about 10 minutes or so of driving.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
There is OEM specific TMPS.

There are several different types of universal TMPS that can be programmed to specific vehicles. (Several, because some makes/models use incompatible technology or different frequencies, etc, etc).

Then there are pre-programmed universal sensors to be OEM specific TPMS.

Judging from the appearance of the latest OEM TPMS, OEM they are the universal programmed for a specific vehicle.

So Tire Shops just have to stock 2 or 3 different TPMS and have the expensive programming tool. Someone comes in needing a TPMS, they pick which of the 3 different types they have in stock that is compatible with the vehicle, install it and program it.

Or you can order them online, like the link above, already pre-programmed for your vehicle, so when you install them, they work right away. (At worst, with a few miles of driving for your TPMS system to recognize and register the new sensor).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts