Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a trailer hitch installed on my '14 WK2 yesterday. Mind you, it was pre-wired, but no hitch. I went to connect my trailer today and NO lights...its not the trailer-it lit right up for my tahoe, every light worked fine. I went to see if just perhaps Jeep had not included a fuse since my car didn't come with a hitch and found:
1. About 1/3 of the fuses were not engaged all the way (and I know Jeep does not engage them all when shipping so apparently my car was either never properly "delivered" or who knows...)
2. The trailer fuses were there, but according to the manual, one of them should be 20amp, the other 30amp. Mine had a 15amp and a 30amp.

Any ideas before I shelp over to the dealership and wait 2 hours for them to say..."uhhhh we dont know"

·
Registered
'12 WK2
145 Posts
Its stupid. You have to bring it in to the dealership for them to activate it. I fought with the service adviser because he wanted to charge me an hour ($135/hr + taxes) for something that would take their tech <10mins to do. Finally got him to change it to .25hr since I was already in their getting my 50k service done.

Reactions: Andpto

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Just about all late model (2011 and later) vehicles that have a tow hitch installed after the vehicle leaves the assembly line would require the tow hitch to be coded to the vehicle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its stupid. You have to bring it in to the dealership for them to activate it. I fought with the service adviser because he wanted to charge me an hour ($135/hr + taxes) for something that would take their tech <10mins to do. Finally got him to change it to .25hr since I was already in their getting my 50k service done.
That is borderline theft right there, The Jeep dealer here only charged me $30 to activate mine. No haggling required, I thought that was high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem as mine. Factory wiring, no hitch. Discovered my headlights have to be on for the trailer lights to work but no brake or signal lights. Fuses are all there and work. Do I still need dealership activation even though they think I’m nuts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same problem as mine. Factory wiring, no hitch. Discovered my headlights have to be on for the trailer lights to work but no brake or signal lights. Fuses are all there and work. Do I still need dealership activation even though they think I’m nuts?
Yes, as noted above without the factory Towing Package the preinstalled wiring is not activated. It's a quick re-programming that the dealer must do to activate the trailer wiring if done with after-market or even mopar components.

Please note that the tow limits for late model JGC's that didn't ship from the factory with the FACTORY installed Tow Package are limited to 3500lbs regardless of the engine.
Why?: Because you don't get HD cooling or the suspension changes required for the higher tow limits. Jeep's certification and liability extends only to the vehicle configuration that left the factory.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,798 Posts
I just enabled the "TRAILER TOW" option on my 2011 WK2 myself using FCADiag. Took 5 minutes, it cost $50, but you have to have a 3rd party OBDII Dongle to plug into the OBDII Port. I spent $50 on my dongle, but there are perfectly good dongles to use that are as cheap as $25 from internet sources. So for less than the cost to visit the Dealership, I got the tool to do the same thing and other things in the future.

FCADiag, as well as read the OBDII codes, also reads all the manufacturer extended codes for stuff that doesn't come up on OBDII Scanners. Plus the ability to reconfigure other things on the vehicle.

Dealerships, sadly there are a lot of bad ones that ruin it for the rest. Its good to hear that they are not all that bad. But a lot of Dealerships set policies to round up to the next highest hour, so even 5 minutes quick reconfiguration of electronics, they'll charge you $150. Others tell their Service Advisors (which is a Sales job, BTW, NOT a service job) not to open the service doors to let a vehicle in for anything less than $100.

....Please note that the tow limits for late model JGC's that didn't ship from the factory with the FACTORY installed Tow Package are limited to 3500lbs regardless of the engine.
Why?: Because you don't get HD cooling or the suspension changes required for the higher tow limits. Jeep's certification and liability extends only to the vehicle configuration that left the factory.
Radiators failing is fairly common on the WK2, so if you need to replace your radiator, it's only a few dollars more for the Heavy Duty version.

Rear Springs aren't that expensive or difficult to replace if you really wanted the Factory Tow Package capability.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

Radiators failing is fairly common on the WK2, so if you need to replace your radiator, it's only a few dollars more for the Heavy Duty version.

Rear Springs aren't that expensive or difficult to replace if you really wanted the Factory Tow Package capability.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny you should mention Radiator - Took my 43,000 mile JGC in for an oil change and guess what else is being replaced-- yes, the radiator. The extended warranty is getting paid back.

As for duplicating the Factory Tow Package - Yes, you can Buy and install the Self Leveling shocks, replace the radiator, alternator and add the hitch.

However...
If you're towing over 3500 lbs and in a serious accident expect the Insurers involved to Check the VIN, pull the window sticker and deny your claim and worse, likely declare you at-fault.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.