Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
Are you running a full size spare? If so, does it fit in the rear storage bin?
When I first got my '18 Trailhawk I tried to put a full size spare (265/60R18) in the spare tire well, and it was too wide. The cover was about 1 inch from closing @25psi. (tire section width was 10.7)

I have a 3.6 V6 Without HD brakes so I went with 17" Rubicon wheels and BFG K02 265/70R17 and a spare that is 245/75R17. The cover closes and I still have room to pack stuff under the floor around the tire (bins will not fit).

The height of all 5 K02 is the same but the section width is 9.8 vs. 10.7.

(the 265/70R17 with NO spacer, do not rub at all, full compression, any ride height, any steering angle - Off Road Tested)

Tirerack.com is a great place to get heights and widths of tires specs. You can copy and paste into excel spreadsheet for quicker comparisons.

Hope This helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
New forum member. Have had my '18 TH since Dec 2017.
Great info in the thread. Thanks all.
Still have stock, looking to upgrade.
Leaning towards 265/65/18 based on what I've read here.
Will those fit on stock rims, or will I need new wheels?
Probably going with the KO2s.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
523 Posts
New forum member. Have had my '18 TH since Dec 2017.
Great info in the thread. Thanks all.
Still have stock, looking to upgrade.
Leaning towards 265/65/18 based on what I've read here.
Will those fit on stock rims, or will I need new wheels?
Probably going with the KO2s.
Those should fit on the stock wheels perfectly.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
968 Posts
20K miles on my 2017 trailhawk and needing new tires so I ordered up Wrangler Duratrac in stock size (265/60/18). Goos sale going on right now. 100$ back on a set of 4.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk
13 Posts
Awesome info on this thread! Sorry for the noob questions here, looking to go up a size to 265-65-18, including the spare, and just wanted to confirm that people are using the stock rim for the spare. I would assume so, but thinking that means people aren't rotating the spare in. Maybe there isn't a need to?

Also from reading threads, it looks like dealerships cannot update the software to account for larger tire sizes, so you either just deal with it or go for an aftermarket mod?

As an aside, I'm surprised by how bad the stock goodyear all-terrains are wearing. I bought my 2019 trailhawk used a month ago, has 22,000 miles on it, took it out to hit the trails this week (Northern AZ trails, some quite rocky, not maintained forest service roads) and already seeing small pieces coming of the tires. Not sure if this was a bad set, because the car was sitting on the lot for 5 months, maybe I was driving too aggessively or what. Not complaining, glad I have an excuse to go up a tire size, but still just a little concerned that the tires are starting to fail that early.

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
Also from reading threads, it looks like dealerships cannot update the software to account for larger tire sizes, so you either just deal with it or go for an aftermarket mod?
This is correct....you are on your own.

Very few people do five tire rotations these days and fitting a full width spare under the cargo lid just doesn't happen. That's why the OEM full size spare is a narrower tire with the same load ratings as the road tires.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk
13 Posts
Very few people do five tire rotations these days and fitting a full width spare under the cargo lid just doesn't happen. That's why the OEM full size spare is a narrower tire with the same load ratings as the road tires.
Thank you for the reply and confirmation. So if I'm looking at 265/65/18 (31.6" diameter) seems like the closest size for a spare is 245/70/18 (31.5"). Or possibly get the same size and see if I can fit it deflated, which isn't an issue as I always carry an air compressor.

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
The 245 tire you mention is fine. It's effectively the same size. There will always be minor variation between brands/tires, etc. It may fit without deflation if you take out the plastic storage containers.

·
Registered
2019 WK2 Trailhawk
13 Posts
The 245 tire you mention is fine. It's effectively the same size. There will always be minor variation between brands/tires, etc. It may fit without deflation if you take out the plastic storage containers.
Awesome, thank you Jim. After reading up about what it would take to update the speedometer, possible void of warranty (I really want to get mopar max care once I hit 40k miles), I'm going to have to think if an extra .5 inch of clearance is really going to be worth it in the long run. Back to the search page!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
A point, Jim originally touched on,
Is there any difference in maximum tire size that can fit on a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk than the non-Trailhawk QL equipped GCs, would like to be able to fit 33s but from what I can tell a 32 is the largest size without fender modification or some programming change for the QL. Thank you for any information.
All WK2's, have the same Geometry between suspension and body, trim levels does not change it....
SCMIIW....
Even the SRT and Trackhawk is the same, although they have bigger Brembo brake calipers that won't fit under the wheels from other WK2's, and a lower ride height.....

So, tire sizes that fit/don't fit the WK2 is true of all WK2's.....
Keep in mind, aftermarket wheels with different offsets or spacers (which change the offset) change that geometry between suspension and body.... ....it also changes the suspension geometry as well, and creates forces and torques on the suspension, and to big of a change can cause vibrations and other ill effects....

Tire sizing is nominal, i.e. not exact, so there is slight differences in dimensions of tires between brands and models, so for a tire size that just barely fits with no extra room, a different brand/model of the same size might not fit because of that slight differences from the nominal sizing.....

Keep in mind, the wheel/tire has to be able to move through the full range of motion, (travel), especially off-roading....
In fact, the biggest factor in off-road ability is Suspension Travel (How much the wheels can go up and down)...

I'm pretty sure there are no lift kits available for the WK2 that alter suspension travel and limits.... ...BTW, the Shocks limit the suspension travel on the WK2, some shocks might give you more travel, but none limit how far the wheel goes up, than what it does stock.....

Other vehicles, like Pick-Up Trucks and Wranglers do have kits that alter suspension travel, or just body lifts that changes the geometry between suspension and body.... ....so these kits can be used to fit even larger tires and they will not rub.....

But for the WK2, lifting the vehicle to fit bigger tires doesn't work, the tires won't rub as long you don't go over bumps that makes the tire goes up far enough to rub..... ....which means you can't off-road, can you ask for a bigger pretender than a lifted Jeep with huge tires, that can't go off road because the tires will rub so bad it will damage the vehicle or tires, or worse, on road have to slow down more than typical cars for bumps so the tires don't rub?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts