Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and am upgrading the tires soon. As of now I have my heart set on the 275/65/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W. However, just found a set of Rubicon take-offs with wheels and tires and they are 285/70/17. From everything I have read the 275 (32.1" tall) tire is the largest you can fit but wondering if the 285 (32.6" tall) tire will cause tons of rubbing which I am not wanting.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
You can't use the 17" wheels if you have HD brakes...you need to check on that first.

There have been a few folks who have managed to squeeze something slightly bigger than 32" on, but it's a dance between the tire design (particularly the edge of the tread) and creative use of spacers, etc. Please also note that if you increase your tire size, your speedo and odo will no longer be accurate and you MUST also upsize your spare to match.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Until about an hour ago I had been contemplating between Rubicon take-offs and spacers or just putting a 275/65/18 on the Trailhawk wheels.

Just ordered BFG At's in 275/65/18, main reason is that I don't believe the tpms in Rubicon wheels will work in our TH's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you add any spacers? Is there any rubbing as a result of upsizing the tires? I am looking at the Falken Wildpeaks as well, but want to make sure I think of/ account for everything before pulling the trigger.
What ride height are you in in that picture? It looks like its OF1, do you experience any rubbing when in entry/exit mode? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you add any spacers? Is there any rubbing as a result of upsizing the tires? I am looking at the Falken Wildpeaks as well, but want to make sure I think of/ account for everything before pulling the trigger.
What ride height are you in in that picture? It looks like its OF1, do you experience any rubbing when in entry/exit mode? Thanks in advance!
This was taken in OR2. I havent had any issues with rubbing whatsoever. I dont use entry/exit mode as I am 6'3" so no issues getting in and out of the Jeep. Use to have a JKUR on 37s so this is small lol. However, even in aero and sport mode there is no rubbing when it is cracked all the way to driver and passenger side. Even with no rubbing, I just purchased 1.25" Bora spacers just to give it a better stance. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Happy to help.

·
Registered
GC TH
524 Posts
Just got the 275/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks on and what a difference!
Did you notice the weight? That’s my only hang up. Still looking at them though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weight was not very noticeable. The tire is considerably larger than stock so there will be more weight but performance wise didn’t notice anything. If I were to do it over again I’d do the same thing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Weight was not very noticeable. The tire is considerably larger than stock so there will be more weight but performance wise didn’t notice anything. If I were to do it over again I’d do the same thing.
Would you consider a non AT tire (mimicking the Limited 18") I was thinking of a 275/60r18, 31". I do not assess I will be doing much off-roading. I just like the seats for this trim level.

·
Registered
GC TH
524 Posts
Are you asking the OP if they would do it or asking the forum if you can do it? If you’re going with an all season instead of an all terrain and don’t plan to offroad, I would just stick with stock size so you’re speedo is correct. In addition to all season, most brands also have a highway version of their A/T.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you asking the OP if they would do it or asking the forum if you can do it? If you’re going with an all season instead of an all terrain and don’t plan to offroad, I would just stick with stock size so you’re speedo is correct. In addition to all season, most brands also have a highway version of their A/T.
Good catch. Was asking the OP however, I am welcoming others!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
50 Posts
Just got the 275/65/18 Falken Wildpeaks on and what a difference!
You sir are a godsend! I've been staring down what to do for a while now. I ordered a 2020 GC Trailhawk and did the 1.25" BORA Wheel Spacers as well as a 1" Level Air-Link up front. The 275/65r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws look AMAZING on your setup and I've now chosen to go with those. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
50 Posts
Would you consider a non AT tire (mimicking the Limited 18") I was thinking of a 275/60r18, 31". I do not assess I will be doing much off-roading. I just like the seats for this trim level.
My advice would be to stick with the stock size if you do not plan on doing any off-roading. I myself am going with the 32.1" size which is the largest you can go without rubbing, if you have the correct wheel size / offset / tire width. Lot to consider when getting tires. You don't need an AT tire if you're not going off-road and can save a lot of money on fuel and tires in general by opting for a non-AT quality tire.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have 265/65 r18 on my 2017 Trailhawk, that is the largest tire I plan to run because a full size spare fits in the spare compartment

·
Registered
67 Posts
This was taken in OR2. I havent had any issues with rubbing whatsoever. I dont use entry/exit mode as I am 6'3" so no issues getting in and out of the Jeep. Use to have a JKUR on 37s so this is small lol. However, even in aero and sport mode there is no rubbing when it is cracked all the way to driver and passenger side. Even with no rubbing, I just purchased 1.25" Bora spacers just to give it a better stance. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Happy to help.
Bringing up an old thread. I saw that you added spacers and a couple questions came to mind. I also have a 2020 TH and I'm thinking of ditching the stock tires, but keeping the same OEM wheels.

1.) Did you have any rubbing issues before adding the spacers with the upsized tire?
2.) Were the Bora spacers hub centric to eliminate and issues?
3.) Now that you've had the Falken's for a bit, what are your thoughts on them long term? I'm looking at a set of AT3, but looking to go up in size both diameter and width (hopefully.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts