Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the specs are for the new Trailhawk QL suspension?

All I can seem to find on the net is vague statements similar to the following
"A special version of the Grand Cherokee’s Quadra-Lift air suspension gives the Trailhawk a tiny bump in articulation and travel, with an extra 0.4 inches with maximum ground clearance at the second “off-road” setting of 10.8 inches."

But when talking to Jeep and Jeep techs here in Perth, WA they tell me there is no difference between any of the Quadra-Lift models??

Have recently bent a front Strut in my 2014 Summit which will need replacing regardless. So I am just trying to work out if I could upgrade the 4 corners with the Trailhawk tweaked system or whether I just have to stick with what I have?

Cheers:)

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
I happen to believe that Trailhawk QL has the same specs as any QL in current vehicles. That early marketing statement was interesting, but it seems that there's no difference across the line in current versions...whatever change was actually made to the bump stops may very well have become the "new normal". Why would they want to have tp deal with separate parts? ;)

And really ... .4" isn't a whole bunch and you really can only use OR-II level crawling to avoid kidney damage anyway. :D

Reactions: BubbaATL

·
Registered
Jeep
10 Posts
The equipment build sheet for 2018 trailhawks lists a different suspension “Normal Duty Susp - Increased Travel”, so there appears to be something different in the builds to corroborate the marketing talk. If your dealer can pull up a VIN of a Trailhawk and lookup parts in their part system to compare to your VIN that could indicate any difference.

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
2018 Limiteds and Overlands with ORA-II list the same "increased travel" suspension. (Maybe 2017's also; I don't remember.)

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
2018 Limiteds and Overlands with ORA-II list the same "increased travel" suspension. (Maybe 2017's also; I don't remember.)
Exactly...which is why I strongly suspect that whatever changes they made for Trailhawk, if any, also ended up with the rest simply for manufacturing economy. This would pretty much be just thinner bump-stops I'm guessing so why have multiple parts?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It doesn't sound like anyone really knows for sure. It makes sense not to have multiple parts from a manuf. perspective, but why would they advertise more travel, etc.

It's possible the trailhawk was the first ones to have the "newer" QL and then it went into any OR 2 optioned Jeep. If not why would they advertise it that way. Wouldn't it be false advertising?

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
It's not false because it does have the increased travel suspension. When the TH was first announced they also used the word "unique" to describe it. Maybe it was indeed unique to the TH then, or at least expected to be, but then they decided (or woke up and realized they needed) to include it on all ORA-II rigs.

A mystery.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what had me thinking?
A friend has just purchased a new TH and he was told the QL had been re-tuned to give a better ride comfort and better clearance?
But since we couldnt find and specific details we put it down to a sales gimick?

Then when we were on the track together at one stage his was definitely sitting higher than mine when stopped for a group photo, but I put it down to uneven ground. We stopped again on the bitumen for anther pic and I said "see they are sitting at the same height" I then discovered I was in OR-II and he was in OR-I :eek:

Looking online I have found a number of different Struts or should I say differently tuned Struts - Normal, Sports, Heavy Duty, Export Increased Travel..........

Everything seems to be the same on most of the suspension components but the Struts/Shock Absorber's appear to fit 2011 - 2016 then 2016 to current?

Which makes me wonder what has been changed and whether the new Struts will be a straight swap for mine?
Remembering that mine are buggered and need replacing anyway, I dont think I would be thinking about swapping them over if mine were still in good working order :)

Oh the newer Struts also appear cheaper??

I am not worried so much about the 0.4inch of extra clearance, more that with the extra travel Struts (unless I change my links) should still sit at the same heights? Hopefully leaving a little bit of travel when in OR-II making it a little more comfortable :thumbsup:

Surely they wouldnt have changed too much while keeping the same shape?

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
To further the mystery, here's the off-road spec for a 2018 TH from a dealer's inventory listing:

Note the ground clearance spec.

And here's the same for a 2018 ORA-II-equipped Overland from the same source:

Well, dammit, it's not letting me embed the screenshots in the post. I'll try attaching instead. OK that worked. First is the TH, second is the Overland. (They don't currently have an ORA-II Limited in inventory, but I remember first noticing the same thing on the Limited spec back when I was shopping for mine.)

Hmm ... maybe it's QL and not ORA-II. I just noticed they show the same 11.1" clearance on a non-ORA-II Overland. The max for a non-ORA-II, non-QL Limited is shown as 10.0".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Then when we were on the track together at one stage his was definitely sitting higher than mine when stopped for a group photo, but I put it down to uneven ground. We stopped again on the bitumen for anther pic and I said "see they are sitting at the same height" I then discovered I was in OR-II and he was in OR-I :eek:
That's interesting, I assume same tires, etc.

I never even heard of anything above 10.8"

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Me neither. Maybe (probably) a mistake, but they pull those specs from Jeep and they've been listed that same way at least since last summer when I was shopping.

·
Registered
Jeep
10 Posts
2018 4x4 Summit lists “Normal Duty Suspension” on build sheet so it would appear that at least the Summits have something different.

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Summit 4x4 max ground clearance spec from the same source also shows 11.1", so it would indeed appear to be QL and not ORA-II specifically (although ORA-II includes QL) that's providing the extra clearance (if there really is any extra clearance and it's not simply a mistake). The really strange thing (apart from the fact that none of us have heard of anything other than the usually-stated 10.8" max clearance spec for any current GC) is that this source shows .3" less for the Trailhawk.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The - 0.3" makes no sense and as discussed I don't think the 11.1" exists. The summit is a beautiful Jeep, but why QL with no tow hooks or skids? Is it's market more for the lowering of the Jeep, like Aero and park mode?

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
That and clearing deep snow, I suppose.

BTW, the corresponding specs from another dealer's site show the same disparity, so they're clearly pulling the specs from Jeep. (First was Safford, second Koons.)

Hmmm... would a third of an inch less "ground clearance" result in a third of an inch more "suspension travel?" Makes my head hurt.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The - 0.3" makes no sense and as discussed I don't think the 11.1" exists. The summit is a beautiful Jeep, but why QL with no tow hooks or skids? Is it's market more for the lowering of the Jeep, like Aero and park mode?
17/18 Summit does have skids as a option. From my running around the snowy fields this winter just to test the tires, the Summit’s lower aerodynamic front needs adjustable suspension more than other models when the snow gets deep. I really had no issues even when the snow got really deep.
All my research showed the air suspension is the same across the model line. Tire sidewall size might change the overall height numbers slightly from model to model. Actual rise and lowering amount is the same.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
17/18 Summit does have skids as a option. From my running around the snowy fields this winter just to test the tires, the Summit’s lower aerodynamic front needs adjustable suspension more than other models when the snow gets deep. I really had no issues even when the snow got really deep.
Yes, I figured you could get it as an option but on for example the limited when you get QL I believe your getting the whole ORA 2 package including AT tires. Do they offer tow hooks as options too, or do they not want to mess up that pretty face.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, I figured you could get it as an option but on for example the limited when you get QL I believe your getting the whole ORA 2 package including AT tires. Do they offer tow hooks as options too, or do they not want to mess up that pretty face.
No front tow hook option. Rear alll have the towing option so all towing/pulling must be done from the rear. There is a lot of sensors up front but I would bet the mounting holes are there in the under the bumper if a owner was adventurous enough to cut through the front bumper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts