Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Overlnd 145k miles
Wow so I guess I’ll begin with about 3 months ago I started having this clicking when I put it in gear. After a while it started it when I would be driving. Felt as though I wasn’t getting much power and acted weird in reverse. Well it took me a while to Finley get it in the shop (no I don’t have no kind of warranty, bought as is). He said I needed a new final drive control module $250. Well waiting for it to come in over the weekend and bam! She completely locked up! Put it in drive and it went straight to park. Well $250 to tow it to shop and find out clutch packs are shot and needed new tranny. Well after banging my head in the wall and wanting to drive it off a cliff, I dished out a total of $8k on brand new tranny from Chrysler (and labor). We are now without jeep over 2 months... was told tranny would be in in 3 days... 2 1/2 weeks later it’s here and sitting under jeep. Well NOW it won’t ready it and Chrysler says bring it in to be flashed. Have no clue what this will cost but gotta pay to have it towed to dealership. Any word of advice besides I shoulda ran it off the cliff would be great... what it gonna cost to flash it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'm guessing that the flash would cost about $150 or so, relatively minor compared to the expense of the tranny. I hope the flash gets you back on the road soon though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'm guessing that the flash would cost about $150 or so, relatively minor compared to the expense of the tranny. I hope the flash gets you back on the road soon though.
... after re-reading your post if Chrysler installed the trans there shouldn't be any additional charge to flash it. They should have done that before releasing it to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... after re-reading your post if Chrysler installed the trans there shouldn't be any additional charge to flash it. They should have done that before releasing it to you.
Sorry for the confusion, but I bought from Chrysler and had a shop put it in. It was way cheaper than the dealership labor cost

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,428 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, but I bought from Chrysler and had a shop put it in. It was way cheaper than the dealership labor cost
It cost 8K for a transmission???? Are you in the states?? Sounds like an AU price.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
The Dealerships will charge you at least 1 hour of labor to bring the vehicle into the service bay, no matter how short the job is. Everyone once and while you find a good one that might charge a half hour labor for a 10 minute job. And flashing the trans should only be 10 or 15 minutes.

Your independent mechanic can't flash it himself, because the manufacturers play games with the software and make full access near impossible for anyone but their dealerships to guarantee them business without competition. You know what happens when a business has no competition? Pretty much what we see at FCA dealerships today.

You're independent mechanic I am sure is more than capable of flashing the trans, he just can't afford the $18k a year to own the tool and subscription to keep it current. And probably won't have access to the Dealer Network, that connects to a central database for updates, another layer of insulation against competition.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,428 Posts
How much does it cost in the states? Just curious.
The most expensive auto trans I've been connected with was a Honda 5-speed that cost $2300. I did a quick google on the ZF 8 speed in the jeep and it looks like it should cost about $5K with a factory rebuilt unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts