Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the t case motor as some have done and fixed their issue with the service 4wd on the dic.
Well It didnt fix mine, took to Jeep dealership and the erased all the codes and as soon as it starts the service 4wd light comes back on.
This knocks out adaptive cruise, traction control and Im sure some other things.

Is there anything else I can check before taking the plunge on a trans\fer case?

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,782 Posts
On my 2014 summit the service 4wd light and ABS light ended up being caused by one of the rear wheel sensors not making consistent contact. They had to tear apart the rear hub and replace the damaged area. It went back 4 times and they replaced a bunch other stuff before they figured it out. Thankfully maxcare covered and all parts and visits only cost me $100. So maybe check that out before replacing a t case.

Attachments

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What codes were you getting?

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,782 Posts
What codes were you getting?
There were multiple, the receipts have
C0037-2F
C0037-1D
U1417
I pulled another before I took it in I dont remember what it was though. They had a hell of time trying to figure it out, I had about 3 weeks of rental cars on maxcare for the whole fiasco.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m getting c1476 and c1438

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
I would be leaning more towards a clutch issue than a shift position issue. Might be easier to just pick up a newer gently used unit and swap it in.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
c1476 TRANSFER CASE CLUTCH POSITION OUT OF RANGE

The first item in the troubleshooting chart is a relearn procedure.

1. Ignition on, engine running.
  2. Place the Transmission in neutral and apply the brakes firmly.
  3. Place the Transfer Case Motor Selector Switch in AUTO.
  4. With the scan tool, run the DTCM non-volatile reset command.
  5. Place the Transmission in park.
  6. Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
  7. Wait for 10 seconds, and turn Ignition switch to Ignition on, engine not running.
  8. With the scan tool, clear stored DTCs in the DTCM.
  9. Switch the Transfer Case Motor Selector Switch to 4-Low and back to AUTO.
  10. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After doing that procedure the light comes on now as soon as you start the motor.
I did not used to do it that often.

It’s now stuck in 4lo on top of everything else....

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told to get it out of 4 lo was to take motor off and use a screwdriver to switch it back to 4 hi auto

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
I was told to get it out of 4 lo was to take motor off and use a screwdriver to switch it back to 4 hi auto
If you do that make sure to set the parking brake and chock the wheels. You'll pass the transfer case's neutral along the way and park will no longer hold the vehicle. Placing the transmission in neutral will also release any binding and make the switch easier.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you do that make sure to set the parking brake and chock the wheels. You'll pass the transfer case's neutral along the way and park will no longer hold the vehicle. Placing the transmission in neutral will also release any binding and make the switch easier.
Sounds like you have done this before. ;-)

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,258 Posts
Sounds like you have done this before. ;-)
Not in a Grand Cherokee but the shift motor died in my old Explorer. It would rotate into low, the contacts were bad in that position so the module would lose where it was and it wouldn't come back out so you had to pop it off and man handle it out. :slapfight:

Those were simpler times though.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Performed what the Jeep tech recommended and it got the Jeep out of 4lo.
Still getting the service 4wd on the dic everytime I start it but at least I can drive it now. Hope the new t case gets installed next week and fixes it.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ugh
Got sent the wrong t-case

·
Registered
Jeep GC Summit Dsl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, just wondering if you had any update to this?

Thanks.
Yes sorry I didnt reply sooner.
I got a reman case with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty the covers parts and labor from
PowerTrainProducts.
Got it installed for $250.00 Labor and all it good now.
No problems in 4 lo or any other settings. The codes instantly were gone as soon as it was started.
I'm a Happy Man now!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts