Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just bought a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with 75000 miles on it from a friend of mine we thought that the max care could be transferred one time is this still the case? He went to the dealer and paid the transfer fee and everything already we are now waiting for the paper work. Should I be expecting a problem? I just read on another site that the max care can no longer be transferred that Jeep will only honer the max care to the original owner. I hope that is not the case I did not want this Jeep it has way to much stuff to go wrong with it. Little stuff I can take of but the air suspension and all the electronics in this Jeep has me scared.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
From MaxCare document:
"
TRANSFER POLICY: This plan is non-transferable to
subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the
same family or business except when purchased in the
state of North Carolina.
STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA ONLY: The original
purchaser may authorize transfer of coverage, provided the
Plan has not been canceled. Remaining Plan coverage may
be transferred to the first subsequent purchaser of the
vehicle AT TIME OF VEHICLE SALE ONLY. Thereafter, the
Plan is non-transferable and non-cancelable. If Plan is
transferred, the vehicle’s original Lifetime Powertrain
Warranty CANNOT be transferred; therefore Powertrain
component coverage will NOT be covered."

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
The transferability is based on the language in the specific paper contract for that vehicle. If it's a non-lifetime contract, it may be transferable. You have to read your specific contract because language changes over time. State laws also affect transferability. One example of that is that the no longer sold lifetime extended service contracts were transferable in Florida and as noted above, there was a provision in North Carolina for the same, but with potentially different language.

Again...the specific contract on the vehicle you purchased is relevant to the answer to your question. We cannot answer it here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You see thats the problem I'm having at this site. https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm it says

A service contract can make your vehicle more valuable and easier to sell. Remaining plan coverage may be transferred to the subsequent purchaser of the vehicle at the time of vehicle sale. Maximum Care allows you to transfer your extended warranty one time in the event you sell your vehicle (a transfer fee of $50 applies in most states).

He paid the $50.00 to transfer it.

I"m not sure what it is. I'm in Florida maybe we have a different contract.

He is going to call the dealership tomorrow.

I hope they honor it, at least for a few years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did your friend who is trying to transfer the contract to you purchase it when he lived in Florida or elsewhere?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he bought the jeep in Florida and still lives in Florida and the jeep is still in Florida. i dont know whats going to happen. he is going to send me the paper tonight that i need to sign and send back. it looks like its going to happen. lets see. worst case scenario i will buy a jeep max care for 48 months.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
You are fortunate that you are in Florida, etc., if that's a Lifetime contract...one of the only places in the US that the Lifetime contract can actually be transferred.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are fortunate that you are in Florida, etc., if that's a Lifetime contract...one of the only places in the US that the Lifetime contract can actually be transferred.
Jim you know this for a fact that you can transfer a life time contract in Florida for sure thats what he has? He planed on keeping the Jeep for 10 years but then the JT came out and he wanted a truck. I'm hopeful about the transfer happening but I will fully believe it when I take the Jeep for a problem and they tell me its covered under warranty and see only $100 charge for the repair. The small stuff I will take care of it myself its just the big stuff that scares me. That air suspension being one of the big ones. I just replaced the thermostat and coolant. the thermostat was stuck open and the Jeep was telling me the engine was too cold. LOL too cold in Florida thats funny. I have a list of maintenance things I want to do like change all the fluids I have the new Jeep spark plugs and Jeep intake manifold seals waiting for me on my work bench. At 90K I will take it to the dealer for a transmission fluid flush, I dont want to mess with the transmission. I really love the way it drives it so smooth and quite. I'm waiting for the electric Grand Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
It's well documented in these pages if you look back in time that Florida's insurance laws (which govern extended service contracts) seem to require transferability for the Lifetime contract, unlike in other states. Of course, Florida residents also had to pay MSRP for their contracts, too, unlike in other states where one could shop around for the best price including online.

The Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract is ties to the VIN of the vehicle so any FCA dealer can see that it applies to a given vehicle. Please do note that it doesn't cover regular maintenance items...the few exceptions there are. So all those fluid changes you mention, etc., are on your dime. Check the manual for your model year to understand what the maintenance intervals are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts