Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I decided to take a video of the clunk I have been hearing.

i just picked the truck up, it's a '14 v6 limited with about 120 miles.

from a standstill, if I press the gas at about 50% until I hit 10mph, then let off abruptly, I hear the transmission clunk.

is this normal? does this happen to anyone else?

(might need to turn up the volume, can be heard at :04 and :13)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so would it be naive to have not expected this clunk, only having an Audi Quattro 4 wheel drive system to compare it to?

and I'm not challenging you, just wanting to learn, as this is my first Jeep.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
326 Posts
My first jeep too!

All I can go off is past experience with 4x4 cars. On the other hand my dad had an AWD x5 and didn't have any noticeable clunk.

I couldn't rally hear anything in your video, maybe some other 4x4 jeep owners can chime in.

Do you get the clunk other times, or just when accelerating then letting off quickly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in the embedded video you can hear it at :04 and :12.

I hear a similar sound at low speed down shifts as well, but more difficult to reproduce. But I definitely don't think the transmission should be shifting into a gear so hard that it makes a sound like that. The only other thing i can relate it to is when down shifting a manual and dropping the clutch abruptly.

can anyone else confirm hearing this?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ya, not normal compared to mine. No clunking noise, but its pretty aggressive at downshifting when in sport mode. It also nails the brakes when coming to a stop to "assist" my own braking.. hate that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking I'll ask to drive another '14 if they say it's normal to see if it is something I can replicate in another truck.

i'm hoping it's something simple, given I have under 200 miles. But not really sure what it could be, it sounds like the transmission is slamming into 2nd gear if it shifts with no throttle.

any ideas?

Ya, not normal compared to mine. No clunking noise, but its pretty aggressive at downshifting when in sport mode. It also nails the brakes when coming to a stop to "assist" my own braking.. hate that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so the dealer thinks its a motor mount. hard to believe given 130 miles..

will update once they confirm

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 14 Limited 4x4 for 2 months now and have the same issue. If I need to let of gas around the 1st to 2nd gear shift it almost feels like we've been rear ended. No issue under hard acceleration but still shouldn't be this clunky at gas let up. Have had numerous other 4x4 SUVs and never had this issue before. Bringing in next week for a look

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 2 week old Limited with the V6 and 4wd. I'm bringing it in tomorrow because of these same issues. When slowing down to stop, the transmission jerks into a lower gear like it was an afterthought. Sometimes it is abrubt enough to feel like you're getting bumped from behind. I've also had it slam into park when starting. It feels like it is disengaged from park and then locks back in. Some people have said this is normal slack because of 4wd. I say BS. I have had 4wd trucks as old as a 65 F-250. I've never felt it with any of them like this. I've also had 4 awd cars from Audi and BMW with no issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so here's my summary and update.

as you can see in the video, the clunk is very noticeable and can be reproduced easily. I dropped it off at the dealer, they said they couldn't reproduce the sound. I went down and test drove the truck for them and showed them, tech confirmed, yes this sounds wrong. I left the truck overnight, a different tech went out in the truck again, once again, couldn't reproduce the sound. I say I'll be back to show them again. Before I leave, they call to say they were now able to reproduce the sound not only in my truck, but another '14 truck and now they claimed it was normal. In disbelief I go down to have them show me. They were not able to reproduce the sound in the other truck, I drove it and I couldn't either.

They ran for codes found nothing. They said there's nothing that can be done. I opened a case with Chrysler and that went no where.

So I have driven a few hundred miles since then, I haven't tried to reproduce the noise, so I haven't heard it since. I have read that the transmission could be in the process of "learning" your driving habits and adjusting.

I will give it a shot tonight to see if it's still an issue. but bottom line, it's not something Jeep has a fix for, if it is a problem, nor are they very resourceful or helpful in diagnosing the issue. But in all fairness, it could be that there is a module that is conforming to the driving habits and adjusting shift points...who knows.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got nothing from the dealer either. They said they couldn't reproduce it and it had nothing in the computer. The only hope is from what I learned with my previous BMWs. When enough people complain, they figure out a reprogram. Both BMWs had ZF transmissions and eventually a service bulletin came out with a reprogram. Similar issues with those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, I just bought a 2014 JGC Laredo 4v4 and am having the EXACT issue with the gears! Happens only when shifting to the 2nd gear, either from 1st or down from 3rd. If acceleration pedal is released before it's shifted from 1st to 2nd, it will do it anyway and causes a clunk feeling as if someone hit me from the back. Downshifting clunk is more difficult to reproduce but does happen often on stop-go traffic.

also, cruising on this thing is IMPOSSIBLE! As soon as you let go of the gas pedal, it will start to drag at EVERY time a gear is downshifted. 7 downshifts, that's a LOT of snags!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel your pain, have had my 2014 Jeep GC Limited in twice for this exact problem. In order to reproduce the "clunk" I insisted that the tech do a ride along with me driving. I was able to reproduce the 1st to 2nd clunk/bump and after further investigation, they told me this is normal. They said I have the latest transmission software and that I should keep an eye out for a fix in the future. If you ask me, this is NOT a satisfactory answer but I don't know what to do next. They keep telling be the same BS about it being a new 8 speed blah blah blah - they need to cut the company line excuses and just get this fixed. Every other SUV I've had regardless of brand or prices shifted smoother than the GC.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts