Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Altitude GC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my tranny replaced at 43k miles, dealer is telling me that tranny is covered by powertrain but the cooler is not covered by the warranty, anyone have any insight on this?

Its a 2014 jeep grand Cherokee

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's not covered, not listed in the warranty book. The cooler is the radiator for the transmission, like the radiator is to the engine. The radiator is not considered part of the engine or a component of the engine. They are also not housed within the engine or transmission respectively. Therefore not part of the power train. Here's FCA's for the lifetime power train:

Transmission:
transmission case and all internal
parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmis-
sion range switch; speed sensors; pressure
sensors; transmission control module; bell housing;
oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

That being said my '12 WK2 had 3 transmission failures (that's it in my avatar). I did not pay for the transmission cooler, nor can I recall it being replaced. I had 2 tranny rebuilds and last time it was replaced. They likely used the cooler I had. Maybe explains why I went through 3 of them. :lol:
So unless the cooler was leaking, they should not have replaced it. IF the transmission failure damaged it, then you can make an argument that a covered component damaged an uncovered component. I had the MAXCare Warranty too, but never had to pay the deductible on all 3 transmissions over the 90,000 miles I put on it.

·
Registered
2014 Altitude GC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not covered, not listed in the warranty book. The cooler is the radiator for the transmission, like the radiator is to the engine. The radiator is not considered part of the engine or a component of the engine. They are also not housed within the engine or transmission respectively. Therefore not part of the power train. Here's FCA's for the lifetime power train:

Transmission:
transmission case and all internal
parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmis-
sion range switch; speed sensors; pressure
sensors; transmission control module; bell housing;
oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

That being said my '12 WK2 had 3 transmission failures (that's it in my avatar). I did not pay for the transmission cooler, nor can I recall it being replaced. I had 2 tranny rebuilds and last time it was replaced. They likely used the cooler I had. Maybe explains why I went through 3 of them. :lol:

So unless the cooler was leaking, they should not have replaced it. IF the transmission failure damaged it, then you can make an argument that a covered component damaged an uncovered component. I had the MAXCare Warranty too, but never had to pay the deductible on all 3 transmissions over the 90,000 miles I put on it.​

I appreciate the response Millerduck! The dealer is quoting me a hefty price, is this something a regular mechanic may be able to change to save me a pretty penny?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,979 Posts
No procedure when a transmission fails is to flush the cooler thorough to remove any debris. No need to replace it unless it's leaking or plugged.

·
Registered
2014 Altitude GC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No procedure when a transmission fails is to flush the cooler thorough to remove any debris. No need to replace it unless it's leaking or plugged.
per the service department, apparently it is leaking

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,430 Posts
They are using micro-channel coolers now for transmissions and AC Condensers, these can not be flushed and must be replaced if the system fails.

There is plenty of evidence that the horrible reliability of the old A604/41TE transmission was due to flushing the cooler. Someone did a test where a cooler for one of these failed transmissions was flushed and passed a flow test, then redid the flow test once the cooler was warmed up and found it failed the flow test. i.e. the flush wasn't getting all the debri out of the cooler, and for the saving of the cost of a new cooler, they had vehicles going through 2 or 3 transmissions in tens of thousands of miles.

For how much a transmission costs to replace, its worth it to just not take chances and replace the cooler with it. Especially if the transmission failed, the cooler could be clogged with debri. The new micro-channel, unlike older coolers, can not be reliably flushed and tested to be clear, that is why they recommend replacement.

And I think the WK2 has a combination AC/Trans Cooler, so replacements means servicing the AC and replacing the filter/drier, adding AC oil as well, which really ups the cost of replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts