Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post I've checked out several other forums but everyone here seems very helpful, so here I am.

The vehicle is an 05 3.7 with 32,500 miles I have owned it for about a month and have had this issue since day one. The problem occurs when either coasting to a stop or braking coming to a stop. The transmission will downshift hard from 3-2 and sometimes 2-1 causing a small jerking of the jeep and occasionally a light clunk. The most noticeable is the 3-2 shift which happens around 20mph with the engine around 1000 rpm (under braking, not acceleration.) The revs will then jump up to 12-1500 rpm as if the transmission was downshifting prematurely. Around 50 percent of the time the shift is not noticeable, the rest is a mix somewhat noticeable, to downright alarming. Fluids are fine, all up shifts are smooth as are downshifts under acceleration, and the problem is not temperature related. My gut instinct is that it is a programming issue due to the relative consistency but I would like some info/ammo before consulting with a technician.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
56,620 Posts
def. sounds like a tcm issue. There is a tsb for the 4.7 for some similar things

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
welcome jesse, hopefully one of our jeep gurus will chime in soon and be able to help you out!

·
Registered
822 Posts
You say the fluid levels are fine BUT-my 3.7 will do the same thing-with downright violent, part throttle upshifts if the level gets below half way in the safe area on the dipstick. Are you in the safe area or actually full?

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At operating temp the fluid level is about an eighth of an inch below "hot". Completely cold the level is about an eighth of an inch above "cold". Are they really that picky that a tenth of a quart can affect shifting patterns?

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anyone interested the issue appears to have been solved with a software update.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this problem with my 07 4.7 back in the day. I never took it in to get looked at, but there was a very rough downshift around 3-2nd as your describing. the 3.7 has a different tranny though. Either way I would take it to get looked at. Software update should fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I'm going to be taking my Jeep in next week for the same issue. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have some similar issue with a 06 WK with the 4.7L. The shift is not nice at times. about the same range during a downshift. I have asked the local garage about it before a service and was told there was nothing wrong... I took it in again under a month ago specifically with this in mind and the mechanic drove it around and checked for service notices and told me there was nothing wrong and Jeep has no service bulitins about it. Nothing done either time. I am at a loss.

I will be interested to see if you have anymore luck than I did.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I contacted the Jeep international customer service and they said that it is not normal behavior and will talk with the service department at the dealer. I have a case number and everything.

There was a recall for this issue for the 3.7L. It's code E13. I'm hoping a software update or reprogramming will fix this issue.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Thank you so f*cking much. Everything in the software update explains all the problems I'm having.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Just got home from the dealership.

-Changed transmission fluid
-Flashed/updated software
•hestitaion between 38 to 45 mph
•improved shifting points
•and a lot of other software updates

As of now, I do not have a hard downshift anymore. My hard downshift has been solved.
Well......I gotta drive more miles before I can completely confirm it. It was a 40 minute to an hour drive from the dealership though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Anyone know if my Jeep would qualify for this? I'm not sure if there is a time limit to get it done/if mine even qualifies....my VIN is 1J4GR48K95C580737, thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
The VIN can be checked to see if you qualify.
When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?

Seems as if putting larger tires on my WK solved a lot of issues. Lol. The hard downshift being one of them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I got the Jeep in late February and all the fluids have been changed at this point, except the transmission and transfer case. I was planning on having the transmission done next week, but I saw this and it got me curious. Do I just call the dealership and have them run my vin to see if I qualify?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Yes or you can look on wkjeeps.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts