Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a picture of the bottom of my 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited. Right under the transmission pan it looks like there's a skid plate missing, I see one hole in the front and two in the back where bolts might go. Did someone forget to put it back on or did my Jeep not come with transmission skid plates?

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Build Sheet will say, my sheet shows 4. fuel tank , transfer case, front suspension and under body plates.
Where can I find my build sheet? I logged into my Mopar account clicked on my build sheet and it just provides me with unrelated web links.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I entered my VIN number and was able to pull up my build sheet. But I looked through the entire list and not one mention of a skid plate. I know I have at least two but I don't see one under the transmission and I could have sworn it was there before I took my Jeep to the dealership last week for them to diagnose a creaking noise. I'll need to call them tomorrow I think they may have taken it off and forgot to put it back on. I know they'll tell me that they never took it off.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk
121 Posts
I entered my VIN number and was able to pull up my build sheet. But I looked through the entire list and not one mention of a skid plate. I know I have at least two but I don't see one under the transmission and I could have sworn it was there before I took my Jeep to the dealership last week for them to diagnose a creaking noise. I'll need to call them tomorrow I think they may have taken it off and forgot to put it back on. I know they'll tell me that they never took it off.
i did a word search for "skid" and it found the 4 my eyes are too old. hope you get it sorted out

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is a picture of the bottom of my 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited. Right under the transmission pan it looks like there's a skid plate missing, I see one hole in the front and two in the back where bolts might go. Did someone forget to put it back on or did my Jeep not come with transmission skid plates?
The limited trim doesn't come with skid plates..not even the Sterling edition. Only the Trailhawk, overland and I think the Summit come standard with them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep saying skid plate but maybe I meant some sort of protective transmission cover, whether it was plastic or metal, to protect the transmission pan. Or was there never any sort of plate under the transmission?

·
Administrator
11,450 Posts
The limited trim doesn't come with skid plates..not even the Sterling edition. Only the Trailhawk, overland and I think the Summit come standard with them.
It does if the Off Road Adventure package is on the vehicle. They were not standard on Overland or Summit, either. Only with ORA-II on Overland and never standard on Summit. Aftermarket only.

===

If I"m not mistaken, the Mopar skids do not provide full coverage and for some areas, there may be a need to use third party additions. I do not recall if there is a Mopar skid in the position in question.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk
121 Posts
I keep saying skid plate but maybe I meant some sort of protective transmission cover, whether it was plastic or metal, to protect the transmission pan. Or was there never any sort of plate under the transmission?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here's Rich Z's Trailhawk. Maybe they stopped adding the tranny plate after MY 2017 or 2018

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's Rich Z's Trailhawk. Maybe they stopped adding the tranny plate after MY 2017 or 2018
Here is a picture I found online of the plate I'm talking about.
I remember it being there prior to dropping my Jeep to the dealership 2 weeks ago to diagnose a creaking sound. I'm wondering if they took it off during their diagnosis and just forgot to put it back on. I just called the dealership and spoke with my service technician, and said he will look into it when I drop off my Jeep again next week for a different issue. I told him if he could talk to the technician that worked on my car today in case it's laying around in the shop. I think that transmission cover is made of plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
if your vehicle had a skid plate on it from the factory there would be barrel nuts installed in the holes I circled in red

Vehicle Wheel Car Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if your vehicle had a skid plate on it from the factory there would be barrel nuts installed in the holes I circled in red

View attachment 243926
It wasn't really a skid plate (not metal), more like a plastic belly pan.
However, isn't that a barrel nut installed on the opposite side, the one I circled in yellow? I can't tell from my picture if there are barrel nuts on the other two you circled in red, I would have to crawl under there....tomorrow. However, instead of barrel nuts on the other two in red, I've seen a few youtube vidoes showing metal tabs/clips with a hole that slide over those tabs and then the nut gets screwed into them.....like the pic I attached here circled in blue.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood Car
Automotive lighting Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Font
Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood Car

·
Registered
380 Posts
It does if the Off Road Adventure package is on the vehicle. They were not standard on Overland or Summit, either. Only with ORA-II on Overland and never standard on Summit. Aftermarket only.

===

If I"m not mistaken, the Mopar skids do not provide full coverage and for some areas, there may be a need to use third party additions. I do not recall if there is a Mopar skid in the position in question.
Maybe not the 2022 models...but as of last year the Overland models did come with skid plates; according to Jeeps website. But OP was asking about only the limited trim...not Limited with off road package. So no...the limited does not come with skid plates.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It wasn't really a skid plate (not metal), more like a plastic belly pan.
However, isn't that a barrel nut installed on the opposite side, the one I circled in yellow? I can't tell from my picture if there are barrel nuts on the other two you circled in red, I would have to crawl under there....tomorrow. However, instead of barrel nuts on the other two in red, I've seen a few youtube vidoes showing metal tabs/clips with a hole that slide over those tabs and then the nut gets screwed into them.....like the pic I attached here circled in blue.
Yes, the crossmember has a weld nut on it,but the skid plate/ plastic shield is held in place with 2 bolts at the rear and does not utilize that nut.
As for the front, yes they are those clip nuts as you posted ..I call them barrel nuts so maybe the wrong terminology , but yours are missing so it would appear as if there were never a plate installed.
I could see someone forgetting to put it back on, but to forgetting to put it on and to then remove the nuts is a bit weird

·
Administrator
11,450 Posts
but as of last year the Overland models did come with skid plates; according to Jeeps website
Only with ORA-II. No reference was made to MY22 (WL) although there were a few lower trims of "WK2" produced for MY22 just to insure there was lots of confusion. :)

Reactions: SlateBlue2020WK2
1 - 20 of 36 Posts