Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings All!

Last year, I bought a 2017 JGC Laredo 4x2 v6 without the factory towing option. Since I do need to haul things around from time to time (large furniture, landscape materials, etc.), I added a factory receiver hitch, installed a Tekonsha P2 brake controller I had from my old truck, and had the dealer enable the option on the BCM. I have pulled small 5x8s all the way up to a fully loaded 6x12 tandem axle trailer from Uhaul (~3,500 lbs) with no issues.

On to my problem - My wife and I planned a camping trip for next weekend and reserved a 16 ft travel trailer (total loaded weight of 3,600 lbs.). I have towed that much weight before and the JGC did great, so I wasn't concerned. I was informed today that the travel trailer we reserved is no longer available. After looking around on rvshare.com, I found a 21' Coachman that is within our budget and available. However, that trailer is 4,100 lbs. dry and probably around 5,000 lbs. fully loaded with gear/cargo, fresh water, LP tanks, etc.

Where we are going is mostly flat with some minor rolling hills (just south of Austin, TX), so I know the drivetrain will tow just fine. I am much more worried about the rear suspension since I have no load-leveling of any kind and pulling an almost 26' long trailer with a 16' tow vehicle. Will a proper WDH address these concerns and make the tow safe?

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
You'll "probably" be ok relative to the general weight, but you MUST use a WDH for that kind of haul, both because the tongue weight is over 350 lbs and because of the additional stability it will bring toward having that giant "sail" behind your JGC. WDH isn't just a nicety...it's a requirement by Jeep. I'd also recommend you be very careful since you don't have heavy duty brakes nor any of the additional cooling that comes with the Factory Tow option.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,548 Posts
You'll "probably" be ok relative to the general weight, but you MUST use a WDH for that kind of haul, both because the tongue weight is over 350 lbs and because of the additional stability it will bring toward having that giant "sail" behind your JGC. WDH isn't just a nicety...it's a requirement by Jeep. I'd also recommend you be very careful since you don't have heavy duty brakes nor any of the additional cooling that comes with the Factory Tow option.
I don't do much trailer towing and my question is a bit off point perhaps but you might have some insight.... When it comes to needing a WDH if the trailer is of borderline tongue and total weight does it make any difference as to whether the trailer is single axle or tandem. Do tandem axles allow what would otherwise be a trailer (single axle) that would best use a WDH to be safely towed without the WDH?

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
No difference, Jim. The purpose of the WDH is to re-balance the tow vehicle. It effectively shifts tongue weight forward to the front axil so that steering and braking remain within normal limits. When you get much above, say, 400 lbs on the hitch ball, the vehicle can start to feel really squirrely. Trust me on that...it's a very uncomfortable thing and can be quite dangerous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it turns out, I found another 17' travel trailer that is available for rent, and it is on the way to our destination! So it all worked out. You just gotta have patience sometimes, which is not my strong suit. ;)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. If this becomes a more regular event, I will invest in a WDH regardless of the weight of the trailer, just for peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts