Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've read the other threads on towing which were extremely helpful. I have a 2019 Grand Cherokee that has a max towing capacity of 6200# and 625# max tongue weight. Payload on the sticker shows a 1050 pounds. I am considering a Grand Design 17MKE, 4800# dry, 5900# gross. I know I'd need a WDH and brake controller. 21' 11". My question is does anyone tow anything similar or does anyone have advice? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,425 Posts
Short distances, level ground I'd say ok. Otherwise you're very close to maxing it out and not leaving any margin for safety. That 3.6 is going to be working quite hard (3-4k revs would probably be the normal from my towing experience).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Get a 3/4 ton PU... You'll feel a lot better about the whole experience....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm in the Pacific NW and I don't like to tow more than 1/2 to 2/3 rated capacity, that way I can get over our mountain passes without too much trouble and don't need to thrash the engine all the time. You're gong to wish you had the V8 at minimum but I agree with the get a 3/4 ton truck recommendation. My V8 Grand Cherokees pull my ~3000 lb trailers no problem. But my trucks will pull twice that without breaking a sweat.

I used to have a 4.0L Cherokee and it always felt like I was over working it pulling jetskiis or snowmobiles uphill, blowing oil all over the trailer from the breather. I would probably pull that trailer with one of my V8 Jeeps but I'm sure it would require my expert <sic> driving skills and full attention to handle it in crosswinds and off cambers. A pickup you can just sit back, point it, and relax, :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts