Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GC Overland 4x4 5.7 HEMI
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm looking for a 4x4 and settled on a WK2 Grand Cherokee (2018+ b/c I want the apple carplay and UConnect 4). I am trying to decide between the following:

2018 CPO Grand Cherokee Overland, 40k miles, 5.7 HEMI with: ORAII, Advanced Safety Group, Harman Kardon Stereo for $43,500 (sale price was $45k but was able to negotiate)

New 2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 HEMI with: premium lighting group, protech II, trailhawk luxury group, sticker is $58k, dealer is selling for $50k

Now, I like the looks of the Overland with the chrome, as opposed to the blacked out trim pieces in the Trailhawk. The Trailhawk is Diamond Black, whereas the Overland has the True Blue Pearlcoat, which I think looks fantastic. I also personally prefer the brown interior on the overland to the black interior on the Trailhawk, along with the nicer leather/wood/stitched dashboard, and like that the Overland has the Harman Kardon stereo. The only thing is that the CPO Overland is quite far from me, and I'd need to get it shipped without being able to see it before I buy (it was the only CPO I could find with both the HEMI and the ORAII, all the non-CPOs were too far and I didn't want to take the risk of buying a non-CPO without seeing it in person first).

I'm wondering if the fact that the Trailhawk is new and that I can actually see it in person prior to purchasing, plus the fact that it's only $5k more than the Overland when shipping is factored in, makes it a better value. Dealer won't go below $43,500 for the Overland, and I'm trying to decide between getting a new car that I can actually test drive vs. getting exactly what I want in terms of appearance, packages, etc.

Also wanted to know if anyone who has experience with the 9 speaker alpine and the 19 speaker Harman Kardon can tell me if the HK is really that much better, or if the alpine is good enough (I'm not an audiophile by any means, but listen to music a lot, and just want good clarity and high enough volume when I'm driving with all the windows down and the sunroof open).

Should I go for the trailhawk or get the Overland shipped? Is the price of the Overland a good deal, and if not, is there any way I can negotiate a bit more with the dealer?
Thanks!

Edit: The Trailhawk is actually $54k before tax and tags, b/c the original discount price included some incentives I don't qualify for. So, I'm leaning towards the overland a bit more now.

Edit: I actually decided to go with a 2020 Overland with the HEMI, ORAII, H/K sound, and active safety group that I found much closer to me! $51k and has only 10k miles on it, so I feel it's a much better deal than the 2018.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
339 Posts
The trail hawk is definitely the better off. 2018 screens have issues and 45k for 40k miles seem high. The sound system will sound a bit better on the other, but you get used to the trail hawk one.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
217 Posts
Ditto for the Trailhawk......the warranty alone is worth a lot of the extra cost, since the 2018 will largely be out of warranty by now.

Reactions: SteveO90290

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ditto for the Trailhawk......the warranty alone is worth a lot of the extra cost, since the 2018 will largely be out of warranty by now.
I was able to get them to match Ziegler for the maxcare warranty, $1795 for 8 years, 100k miles since its a certified pre owned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a few thousand more.... That alone makes the new rig worth it.....
Yeah, I know, it's just the little things like the chrome on the outside, the stitched dash on the Overland, the nicer nappa leather seats, and the harman kardon stereo... am I being irrational here haha

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
339 Posts
I was able to get them to match Ziegler for the maxcare warranty, $1795 for 8 years, 100k miles since its a certified pre owned.
I would buy the new warranty ASAP along with the trail hawk, who knows how long that deal will stay.

I bet you can get the same price on the warranty on the new or even cheaper. If you do end up for the 2018, warranty is a must. The screens tend to delaminate and it is not covered outside of the limited warranty.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I could of had any non srt that I wanted and I custom ordered the trailhawk brilliant black 5.7 w/ everything but rear entertainment, rock rails and cd player. I guess I'm biased as to which one I would choose. Once in a blue moon i regret not getting the rock rails cause they look cool and once in a blue moon I wish I chose the graphite gray to show the hood decal off more, but that's it.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
223 Posts
Yeah, I know, it's just the little things like the chrome on the outside, the stitched dash on the Overland, the nicer nappa leather seats, and the harman kardon stereo... am I being irrational here haha
NOPE! I bought a Summit for those reasons and more like the HID headlights and several other things the lower models don't have and are to expensive to add. I also wanted a Hemi. With the Maxcare (which I bought for mine) get what you want and don't look back. I drove 3 states away to get mine! 7 hours down and 7 back. It was sooo worth it. 😁

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOPE! I bought a Summit for those reasons and more like the HID headlights and several other things the lower models don't have and are to expensive to add. I also wanted a Hemi. With the Maxcare (which I bought for mine) get what you want and don't look back. I drove 3 states away to get mine! 7 hours down and 7 back. It was sooo worth it. 😁
Similar situation haha except the CPO overland I'm looking at is 1000 miles away. Am I safe in having the car delivered without seeing first because its a certified pre owned? Or should I still be wary of anything?

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
The warranty was for the CPO Overland, the Trailhawk is the new one.
You'll want to consider the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract for the Trailhawk, too, but you don't have to buy it right away. There's a slight hit on cost at 12mos/12K miles, but you have up to 4/48 to make your decision. Keep in mind that these contracts for new vehicles "start" at mile one/day one, not when you buy them, relative to when they end. Zigler is one of the online dealers that have good pricing.

·
Registered
JGC
637 Posts
Kills me to say this, as Brilliant Black would be my last choice (personal taste), but the 2021 Trailhawk is a much better deal. I also purchased my MaxCare from Zigler online for a great price, but, unfortunately, now expired. You'll be happy with either, but $6500 more for new and 40K less miles seems like the right choice. Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kills me to say this, as Brilliant Black would be my last choice (personal taste), but the 2021 Trailhawk is a much better deal. I also purchased my MaxCare from Zigler online for a great price, but, unfortunately, now expired. You'll be happy with either, but $6500 more for new and 40K less miles seems like the right choice. Good luck with whichever you choose.
Turns out the $50k price included a few incentives we don't qualify for, and that our price is actually $54k for the trailhawk, which is making me lean towards the CPO.

·
Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
349 Posts
Id go with the used one.

I bought a Used 2014 Limited Unicorn (ORA2 Lux Package ect) Got a factory FCA 5 year 100000kms warranty on it.

Mechanically its identical to the TH's but I saved a pile of money and still have a warranty like a new vehicle, So i'd say go with the overland and save some money and use it for mods if need be

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6
76 Posts
I'm conflicted because I see the appeal of the 2018 Overland options, but I think considering both are somewhat premium options in the first place, I gotta go with the newer engine. That said, why settle? I feel like if you're in the market and realistically have the budget, you shouldn't settle. While they are hard to find, keep looking and a newer Overland is sure to pop up. Heck, based on your original post I feel like you'd even be fine with a Limited.

·
Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
349 Posts
Overland's with ORA2 are exceedingly rare, also "newer" engine? Same 5.7 Hemi engine, and OP was getting a warranty so I don't see the issue in a slightly "older" engine

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6
76 Posts
Overland's with ORA2 are exceedingly rare, also "newer" engine? Same 5.7 Hemi engine, and OP was getting a warranty so I don't see the issue in a slightly "older" engine
Oh by newer engine I just meant less miles, but I see your point.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts