Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
New England
106 Posts
Yeah, I know, it's just the little things like the chrome on the outside, the stitched dash on the Overland, the nicer nappa leather seats, and the harman kardon stereo... am I being irrational here haha
It's funny, I had the same decision to make a few years ago (Trailhawk or Overland) and it was ultimately the seats that sold me on the Trailhawk. Night and day better in the TH in my opinion and where I put a lot of miles on my vehicles the comfortable seat was a critical issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Should I go for the trailhawk or get the Overland shipped? Is the price of the Overland a good deal, and if not, is there any way I can negotiate a bit more with the dealer?
Thanks!
That's a tough one. We actually got an Overland for many of the same reasons. I like the interior trim better, plus we really fell in love with dark sienna color option, and in my case while I'm not super keen on the amount of chrome the Overland has, I also didn't want the full blackout of the Trailhawk. That said, we were looking new in both cases so it was an easier call. As to the audio, the HK is definitely better, but how much, IMHO, depends on how much and what type of listening you do. I used to build competition class audio years and years ago, so I can definitely tell the difference, but after the Alpine system broke in a bit (it seemed to take about 6 months before things settled in), it's more than acceptable for the amount of time and listening I do. Now, if I was going to be driving 2+ hours every day, and using some high quality audio files rather than just listening to SXM, I might have a different opinion, but for average use, it's fine.

The used price with 40k miles does seem a bit high to me, but it is pretty well equipped, and with the ORAII would be every bit as capable as the TH would be. My gut would be if you can get them down a little bit on it, I'd go for the looks that you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's a tough one. We actually got an Overland for many of the same reasons. I like the interior trim better, plus we really fell in love with dark sienna color option, and in my case while I'm not super keen on the amount of chrome the Overland has, I also didn't want the full blackout of the Trailhawk. That said, we were looking new in both cases so it was an easier call. As to the audio, the HK is definitely better, but how much, IMHO, depends on how much and what type of listening you do. I used to build competition class audio years and years ago, so I can definitely tell the difference, but after the Alpine system broke in a bit (it seemed to take about 6 months before things settled in), it's more than acceptable for the amount of time and listening I do. Now, if I was going to be driving 2+ hours every day, and using some high quality audio files rather than just listening to SXM, I might have a different opinion, but for average use, it's fine.

The used price with 40k miles does seem a bit high to me, but it is pretty well equipped, and with the ORAII would be every bit as capable as the TH would be. My gut would be if you can get them down a little bit on it, I'd go for the looks that you want.
I was actually able to find a 2018 Overland, around 90 miles away from me, with both the Hemi and the ORAII. Only thing is that the original owner swapped out the 18'' wheels with 20'' wheels that have Forteras on them. It only has 40k miles, but is being sold for $36,000, so I might go for it and buy some all terrain tires after. Doesn't have the Harman Kardon, but if it's not really that much of a difference I don't really mind. It's not CPO and is being sold at a Chevy dealership, but the carfax looks clean so I think it seems like a good pick.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
216 Posts
That's a tough one. We actually got an Overland for many of the same reasons. I like the interior trim better, plus we really fell in love with dark sienna color option,
After doing a lot of looking, once I seen what the Dark Sienna interior looked liked, I had to have it! (along with the Hemi) I really didn't want a white one (it's the Tri Coat) but that interior color is pretty hard to find but I'm still very happy with mine.

Don't let the Chevy dealer sell you an extended warranty! You still can buy a Maxcare but it'll cost more but it'll cover way more an an third party one will. Mine came from a Chevy dealer and they tried that but I told them no way. There's no way I would buy a vehicle site unseen. Maybe it's just me since I've been working/playing with cars for 45 years now but pictures can lie or mislead you. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After doing a lot of looking, once I seen what the Dark Sienna interior looked liked, I had to have it! (along with the Hemi) I really didn't want a white one (it's the Tri Coat) but that interior color is pretty hard to find but I'm still very happy with mine.

Don't let the Chevy dealer sell you an extended warranty! You still can buy a Maxcare but it'll cost more but it'll cover way more an an third party one will. Mine came from a Chevy dealer and they tried that but I told them no way. There's no way I would buy a vehicle site unseen. Maybe it's just me since I've been working/playing with cars for 45 years now but pictures can lie or mislead you. Good luck with your decision.
If I get the one at the Chevy dealer, I'll be checking it out in person, since its only an hour and a half away. Velvet red pearlcoat and beige interior, looks sweet. Only things are lack of HK + 20 inch rims that are making me lean towards the CPO one. I was able to obtain a CPO report for it, and everything checks out, and they apparently refurbished the entire interior and replaced the seat cushions, etc etc. So this is a tough choice haha

·
Registered
769 Posts
Makes me kinda wonder though with only that many miles on it why did they have to refurbish the entire interior and replace seat cushions? That doesn’t add up to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm conflicted because I see the appeal of the 2018 Overland options, but I think considering both are somewhat premium options in the first place, I gotta go with the newer engine. That said, why settle? I feel like if you're in the market and realistically have the budget, you shouldn't settle. While they are hard to find, keep looking and a newer Overland is sure to pop up. Heck, based on your original post I feel like you'd even be fine with a Limited.
Way ahead of you haha. Did a CarGurus search for a 2018+ GC limited, couldn't find a single one with the ORAII and the HEMI, along with the advanced safety group, xenon headlights, luxury group II, etc etc.. Have found 3 Overlands with all the options, and I'm considering all 3 of them or the new trailhawk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Makes me kinda wonder though with only that many miles on it why did they have to refurbish the entire interior and replace seat cushions? That doesn’t add up to me.
I don't know, but from the pictures the interior looks literally new. I think they only replaced the driver seat cushion, which makes sense because I've seen a lot of low mileage 2018s that have cracked leather on the drivers seat. I think they gave the interior a full detailing according to the report.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Also was just wondering, if the carfax checks out and the vehicle is in good condition, is there any tangible benefit to CPO other than cheaper max care warranty? I'll be buying max care either way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Definitely wouldn't be keen on the 20s myself, because I plan on being off road. Might be able to find some 18s at a scrap yard or the like though.

·
Registered
'14 Laredo, '14 Overland, '18 Overland
54 Posts
Just my two cents, but you're paying for the CPO in the price of the Overland (I'll bet the dealer added 4 grand to the price) 'cause 43,500 for an '18 with 40K seems high. And since you've now been looking at other Overlands which are priced less, it seems to confirm that CPO costs more. So if you're now looking at spending less than 40,000 for a '18 overland, you can put that savings into your Maxcare costs. Plus since the TH is now 54K, it seems a gently used Overland is what you should consider.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6
76 Posts
The 2018 limited with 34K miles I got this past July was just about 35 thousand. I dont feel like an overland with over 40k miles justifies that difference in cost, but this market is just crazy. add in the fact that the shortage of high trim WL's is resulting in the WK2 high trim's being highly sought after, and maybe the numbers add up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just my two cents, but you're paying for the CPO in the price of the Overland (I'll bet the dealer added 4 grand to the price) 'cause 43,500 for an '18 with 40K seems high. And since you've now been looking at other Overlands which are priced less, it seems to confirm that CPO costs more. So if you're now looking at spending less than 40,000 for a '18 overland, you can put that savings into your Maxcare costs. Plus since the TH is now 54K, it seems a gently used Overland is what you should consider.
For the cheaper overland, like I mentioned, the original owner swapped the 18'' wheels that come with the ORAII to the 20'' standard overland wheels. I want to get chunky ATs with a good amount of sidewall, so I'm probably going to use the savings to buy 18'' rims and ATs. Problem is, I can't find the OEM 18'' wheels that come with the ORAII (and standard on the WK2 limiteds) anywhere...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
For the cheaper overland, like I mentioned, the original owner swapped the 18'' wheels that come with the ORAII to the 20'' standard overland wheels. I want to get chunky ATs with a good amount of sidewall, so I'm probably going to use the savings to buy 18'' rims and ATs. Problem is, I can't find the OEM 18'' wheels that come with the ORAII (and standard on the WK2 limiteds) anywhere...
I'm definitely still getting MaxCare though

·
Super Moderator
10,642 Posts
Personally, I'd always opt for the brand new vehicle. That said, it would be the Overland or a Summit, but that's because of personal preference and desire for features. (and a non-black interior)

You have the option to use aftermarket wheels that meet the JGC's load requirements if you want to put 18s on the Overland...you're not limited to OEM 18s.

The Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract is a no-brainer, especially with QL and all the electronics.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
216 Posts
Also was just wondering, if the carfax checks out and the vehicle is in good condition, is there any tangible benefit to CPO other than cheaper max care warranty? I'll be buying max care either way.
No I don't think there is other than that. Just remember that '18's have the issue of the Infotainment screen de-laminating so make sure you're covered there or it's ~ $1500 for a new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Don't do it, go newer. Trailhawk. Trailhawwwwwk. CAWWW
Is it really worth paying $11,000 more though? I will admit it was a much harder call when I thought the trailhawk was only $50k, but the way I see it, the 2018 has the exact same features as the 2021 (plus the HK sound since it's an Overland), its certified, and I'm getting maxcare for 8 years 100k miles. Any advantages the new car would give me that I'm missing?

·
Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
335 Posts
For 11000$ I don't see the value. Especially when both have virtually the same warranty (assuming you get the extended warranty)

Like I said before. To have bought a new WK2 like the limited unicorn I found would have been around 70K Canadian, and I walked out the door for 32K with a 5yr 100000kms warranty like new. So I saved a pile of money and got a nearly identical vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
211 Posts
For a difference of $11K, I agree that going with the used one is probably the best approach. Now to figure out how to go see it before you commit.....road trip?? :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
For a difference of $11K, I agree that going with the used one is probably the best approach. Now to figure out how to go see it before you commit.....road trip?? :cool:
I wish I had time haha, but maybe... CPO report looks great, Carfax is great, pictures are great, I guess I'm just gonna take a leap of faith on this one.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts