Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,642 Posts
You kinda need to make a decision here...those vehicles are going to disappear into someone else's driveway...

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
211 Posts
Maybe there is somebody on this forum that is closer that can go out and take a look at this vehicle for you? And, agree with Jim.....used cars don't sit around long these days, so you may want to move on this pretty quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Maybe there is somebody on this forum that is closer that can go out and take a look at this vehicle for you? And, agree with Jim.....used cars don't sit around long these days, so you may want to move on this pretty quickly.
I actually just lucked out haha... found a 2020 GC overland with HEMI and ORAII, sienna brown interior, granite crystal metallic, only 10k miles for $51,000. Its only 100 or so miles away from me so that's what I've decided I'm going for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice. Snag. I support that decision. Got the 2020, hemi, way lower miles. Still no cool hawk badge but I think that's all you're missing. Overland badge is just as cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking for a 4x4 and settled on a WK2 Grand Cherokee (2018+ b/c I want the apple carplay and UConnect 4). I am trying to decide between the following:

2018 CPO Grand Cherokee Overland, 40k miles, 5.7 HEMI with: ORAII, Advanced Safety Group, Harman Kardon Stereo for $43,500 (sale price was $45k but was able to negotiate)

New 2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 HEMI with: premium lighting group, protech II, trailhawk luxury group, sticker is $58k, dealer is selling for $50k

Now, I like the looks of the Overland with the chrome, as opposed to the blacked out trim pieces in the Trailhawk. The Trailhawk is Diamond Black, whereas the Overland has the True Blue Pearlcoat, which I think looks fantastic. I also personally prefer the brown interior on the overland to the black interior on the Trailhawk, along with the nicer leather/wood/stitched dashboard, and like that the Overland has the Harman Kardon stereo. The only thing is that the CPO Overland is quite far from me, and I'd need to get it shipped without being able to see it before I buy (it was the only CPO I could find with both the HEMI and the ORAII, all the non-CPOs were too far and I didn't want to take the risk of buying a non-CPO without seeing it in person first).

I'm wondering if the fact that the Trailhawk is new and that I can actually see it in person prior to purchasing, plus the fact that it's only $5k more than the Overland when shipping is factored in, makes it a better value. Dealer won't go below $43,500 for the Overland, and I'm trying to decide between getting a new car that I can actually test drive vs. getting exactly what I want in terms of appearance, packages, etc.

Also wanted to know if anyone who has experience with the 9 speaker alpine and the 19 speaker Harman Kardon can tell me if the HK is really that much better, or if the alpine is good enough (I'm not an audiophile by any means, but listen to music a lot, and just want good clarity and high enough volume when I'm driving with all the windows down and the sunroof open).

Should I go for the trailhawk or get the Overland shipped? Is the price of the Overland a good deal, and if not, is there any way I can negotiate a bit more with the dealer?
Thanks!

Edit: The Trailhawk is actually $54k before tax and tags, b/c the original discount price included some incentives I don't qualify for. So, I'm leaning towards the overland a bit more now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take it from someone who just got rid of my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4......If the one you are looking at has the "auto leveling" suspension and the upgraded leather dash etc, RUN. My Overland had 73k miles, bought it new.....the dash delaminated and Chrysler will not cover the $3500 it costs to replace it(they had the same issue with years 2011-2014 which they finally repaired at their cost), I was about to have set #5 tires on it(they could not discover why the tires kept wearing poorly, especially on back passenger side), the water pump and cooling lines were replaced last July and when I got rid of it in November 21, it had to be replaced AGAIN along with the radiator. From everything I read on this forum, the "auto leveling" suspension was the next to go and when it goes, the car just drops and is not driveable. I did get another Jeep, but a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L 4x4. It does not have the type of leather that the Overland had nor does it have "auto leveling" suspension so hopefully it will do ok. I might also add that I had to have my drivers seat leather re-dyed and the arm rest replaced because of the leather wearing oddly. I also had an extended warranty.....water pump was covered as were all those sets of tires. Re dye of driver's seat was not covered under warranty. Just heed with caution on the 2018.

·
Registered
2009 Grand Cherokee
16 Posts
If I get the one at the Chevy dealer, I'll be checking it out in person, since its only an hour and a half away. Velvet red pearlcoat and beige interior, looks sweet. Only things are lack of HK + 20 inch rims that are making me lean towards the CPO one. I was able to obtain a CPO report for it, and everything checks out, and they apparently refurbished the entire interior and replaced the seat cushions, etc etc. So this is a tough choice haha
Did you ask why did they have to replace the entire Interior??? Was it in a Flood??? Sounds like it...
I would absolutely check any vehicle out in person, drive it, see if it has funny smells, anything, etc...

Even though the Carfax says good things, you still have no idea how the vehicle was treated by the previous owner/s...

How often was the oil and filter changed??? Service Records to read?? Can you run the VIN on line and see all the service done at the dealerships if any???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Did you ask why did they have to replace the entire Interior??? Was it in a Flood??? Sounds like it...
I would absolutely check any vehicle out in person, drive it, see if it has funny smells, anything, etc...

Even though the Carfax says good things, you still have no idea how the vehicle was treated by the previous owner/s...

How often was the oil and filter changed??? Service Records to read?? Can you run the VIN on line and see all the service done at the dealerships if any???
I don't think they replaced the interior, they just restored it and detailed everything according to the CPO report, which I believe included replacing the driver seat cushion.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can't believe it's been this hard to find Overlands with ORAII
I had similar when I was first looking. Didn't help having sales staff at a couple of the dealerships I worked with that really didn't understand the concept of Jeeps. One guy kept coming back with searches of matches on everything except ORAII. Had to explain to him that the reason I wanted ORAII was the skids and the 18" wheels instead of 20s as I planned on using this off-road a good bit, to which he asked if I was going to go off-road why wouldn't I want the larger 20s as they'd be better. Needless to say, when I finally decided I'd be ordering a vehicle for the first time in my life to get exactly what I wanted, he wasn't the one I did it with. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking for a 4x4 and settled on a WK2 Grand Cherokee (2018+ b/c I want the apple carplay and UConnect 4). I am trying to decide between the following:

2018 CPO Grand Cherokee Overland, 40k miles, 5.7 HEMI with: ORAII, Advanced Safety Group, Harman Kardon Stereo for $43,500 (sale price was $45k but was able to negotiate)

New 2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 HEMI with: premium lighting group, protech II, trailhawk luxury group, sticker is $58k, dealer is selling for $50k

Now, I like the looks of the Overland with the chrome, as opposed to the blacked out trim pieces in the Trailhawk. The Trailhawk is Diamond Black, whereas the Overland has the True Blue Pearlcoat, which I think looks fantastic. I also personally prefer the brown interior on the overland to the black interior on the Trailhawk, along with the nicer leather/wood/stitched dashboard, and like that the Overland has the Harman Kardon stereo. The only thing is that the CPO Overland is quite far from me, and I'd need to get it shipped without being able to see it before I buy (it was the only CPO I could find with both the HEMI and the ORAII, all the non-CPOs were too far and I didn't want to take the risk of buying a non-CPO without seeing it in person first).

I'm wondering if the fact that the Trailhawk is new and that I can actually see it in person prior to purchasing, plus the fact that it's only $5k more than the Overland when shipping is factored in, makes it a better value. Dealer won't go below $43,500 for the Overland, and I'm trying to decide between getting a new car that I can actually test drive vs. getting exactly what I want in terms of appearance, packages, etc.

Also wanted to know if anyone who has experience with the 9 speaker alpine and the 19 speaker Harman Kardon can tell me if the HK is really that much better, or if the alpine is good enough (I'm not an audiophile by any means, but listen to music a lot, and just want good clarity and high enough volume when I'm driving with all the windows down and the sunroof open).

Should I go for the trailhawk or get the Overland shipped? Is the price of the Overland a good deal, and if not, is there any way I can negotiate a bit more with the dealer?
Thanks!

Edit: The Trailhawk is actually $54k before tax and tags, b/c the original discount price included some incentives I don't qualify for. So, I'm leaning towards the overland a bit more now.
Don’t buy the 2018!!!! Especially if you’re excited about the radio!!! The delaminating screen has ruined this vehicle…I cannot operate the radio…seats…navigation…I have Sirius for nothing…the phone dials randomly to the point I turn off Bluetooth so that it doesn’t connect to the Jeep at all ….I purchased it at 35,000 miles and just a few months later notice the screen changing then it went crazy changing radio stations constantly, changing from am to fm to xm and back it changes the screen to the back up camera so while driving you can look at nothing but the road behind you when the heated seats come on you can’t turn them off because of the pop up asking if you want to adjust the clock settings I paid extra to have everything & am left with nothing short of spending one to three thousand to replace it if they don’t mess anything else up by removing the dash …when checking on the repair I was told by Chrysler that if I was the first owner they’d do it but since I am the second owner no deal….VERY DISAPPOINTED IN JEEP & Chrysler

·
Registered
2018 JGC - High Altitude - 5.7 Hemi
31 Posts
Have not read all of the posts, but get the premise of what you are after.

After owning GC's for 20+ years (Started with a 1998 limited), I finally bit the bullet and bought a new 2018 Overland High Altitude II in November of 2017. Never had a new one and knew I was going to take a hit when I bought it, but ordered it with everything I wanted. The H.A. II trim was new that year and LOVE the graphite colored trim and wheels, does not show water spots after it rains. Got every option except the DVD players in the back and have not regretted it since. I do have the 19 speaker upgrade which at that time was $1100 from the factory, but being a bass and audio junkie head in my earlier years, it is well worth the extra money to me to feel things shake a bit! Have the HEMI and 4x4 which gets me anywhere and everywhere I need to go. I decided since I was buying new, this was something I would have for many years. I was fortunate to get the MaxCare warranty that covers unlimited time and mileage ( not available anymore).

I will say this, as someone else mentioned, the 2018 Uconnect 8.4"s can have an issue with the screen delamination (search for those other threads on this site). I called FCA, raised H$LL and got mine replaced for free as I stated this WAS a safety issue (and it can be a distraction). So far @ 4yrs and 52k miles, I have had to have the air suspension compressor replaced and needed a water pump recently, but drivetrain has not had any issues.

If you buy something, spend a little extra to get a REAL MOPAR warranty! Other warranty companies may not cover air suspension that the 4x4's have and you will be on the hook for some serious $$. The HEMI's can have a valve train issue with the cams later in life and you will thank yourself when you have a warranty that covers it.

In the meantime, I would not buy anything until you drive it and have a chance to check it out head to toe, just my .02 worth. Be sure to buy what you will be happy with, within your budget and it will treat you well for years to come. GL with your decision.

·
Registered
2018 JGC - High Altitude - 5.7 Hemi
31 Posts
Don’t buy the 2018!!!! Especially if you’re excited about the radio!!! The delaminating screen has ruined this vehicle…I cannot operate the radio…seats…navigation…I have Sirius for nothing…the phone dials randomly to the point I turn off Bluetooth so that it doesn’t connect to the Jeep at all ….I purchased it at 35,000 miles and just a few months later notice the screen changing then it went crazy changing radio stations constantly, changing from am to fm to xm and back it changes the screen to the back up camera so while driving you can look at nothing but the road behind you when the heated seats come on you can’t turn them off because of the pop up asking if you want to adjust the clock settings I paid extra to have everything & am left with nothing short of spending one to three thousand to replace it if they don’t mess anything else up by removing the dash …when checking on the repair I was told by Chrysler that if I was the first owner they’d do it but since I am the second owner no deal….VERY DISAPPOINTED IN JEEP & Chrysler
Call FCA at: 800-992-1997 and select the Uconnect option. Open a case with them and be sure to mention it is a safety issue as it is distracting while driving. I did just that, went round and round with them for a couple of weeks, but just got mine replaced this past week for zero! If they call out a deductible, tell them it is unacceptable or escalate it to a manager.

I have 52k on mine, have a MaxCare warranty and did not have to use it. GL to you

·
Registered
253 Posts
Food for thought…
Does the ORA II have the eLSD? This is one thing I wish I had made sure my rig had when built, as it is not something that can be added later. Wheels can be swapped, skids can be purchased.

Also the Quadra lift air suspension can give some people issues, and not easily modified.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts